Channel Island Audio's "Balanced" VHP2/VAC^2 and Strange Balanced Systems
Sep 5, 2007 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
This all started with successful experimentation with two cMoy (build by blackinches) in a balanced configuration and finding Iron_Dreamer's post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does, it's called two VHP2's. Considering that the VDA2 has RCA output jacks, it's easier to hook up two single-ended headphone amps to than any other DAC I know of. Just put two RCA cables from L+ and L- outputs on the VDA2 to the L and R inputs of the VHP2. Repeat with the R channels and another VHP2. Rewire your headphone to have two TRS jacks instead of two XLR for most balanced amps, plug into the two VHP2's (remembering which is the L and which the R channel), and BAM! an all CIA balanced headphone rig!

Long story short, with above experimentation and Iron_Dreamer's inspirational post, I jump to balanced system using two VHP2 tethered to two VAC power supplies. You can read my long story version on my sig link on the balanced cMoy
biggrin.gif

The following comments and observations are my own opinions. This is NOT meant to be a critical review since I know I really suck at any formal reviews. I just want to share in an alternative possibilities in this fun hobby and share in my elation of going balanced. I am not comparing it with any other balanced amp since I never actually owned a balanced amp..until now.
wink.gif
I did own over 25 single ended (desktop and portable) amps in the past. Plus I had over 35 unique headphones along the way. So...at my ripe old age, I know the sound I prefer. I listen to anything but rap, country, and metal. My number #1 musical preference is towards anything with female vocals; jazz, pop, rock, trance, etc. Since balanced configuration doubles the gain, I only listen to VPH2/VAC^2 in lowest gain setting. I am also using iTunes as source and master volume control.

Without further waiting....[size=x-small]BAM!!![/size] CIA Balanced VHP2/VAC^2
biggrin.gif

The mirror finished aluminum case above the CIA gear will be the housing for my balanced cMoy system once blackinches mod it some more.

7e4e2217qo1.jpg

7e4e2222yt2.jpg

7e4e2219pe9.jpg

7e4e2226uz6.jpg

I still have not burned in the recommended 100 hours yet. Here are some comments and thoughts that pops up in my mind as I am listening to it now:

* wow...the bass is really deep and tuneful without ever dominating the music
* It sounds very powerful even at low volume
* wow...the channel separation is awesome
* micro detail without being harsh
* it's the most 3D sounding system I have ever heard
* more "air" between notes
* lowest noise floor ever (like a black-hole)
* treble energy is never harsh
* sounds very smooth and effortless
* Senn veil is lifted
* it's fun sounding
* wow....I never had this much fun
...it can only get better
biggrin.gif

It's true, Senn HD650 transforms to a different animal in balanced mode. I will just leave it at that
wink.gif
I also have balanced Mini^3 coming my way from John (aka blackinces)
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 30
Thanks guys....it's destiny from single ended to balanced with little fun on the side
wink.gif
Why be conventional when you can have more fun doing it the "other" way
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 30
Nice, though I'd put the two left boxes on the right to allow for cleaner power distribution.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 30
Great ideal but you need a DAC that allows two RCA outputs right with different phase on each or what exactly? It is the amp that you select the phase on so you have one phase for each plug. I really like the connection type you are using for the headphones. Much easier to use than the normal XLR that you see. I guess I am lazy when it comes to rotation and trying to figure out how those XLRs plug in. Especially when attempting to listen to multiple headphones under a comparison study.

Great write-up....

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 30
screenshot3vh8.jpg

(The photo is from CIAudio website)

Steve, you just need a standard RCA male to RCA male cable.

Dusty was very wise to implement the balance mode this way for maximum flexibility without clutter and simplicity. For single ended (normal) analog mode, the connection points are up and down, along the 0 phase and 180 phase for two single ended analog connections. You just need to set the front switch to 0 or 180 appropriately.

The front connection are normal 1/4" TRS Stereo plugs where tip is (+) and ring is (-), and the stem is ground, per channel. I got this wrong before, so all I had to do was just invert the phase with a switch in the front. But now, I set things right and resoldered my TRS plugs with right connection points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great ideal but you need a DAC that allows two RCA outputs right with different phase on each or what exactly? It is the amp that you select the phase on so you have one phase for each plug. I really like the connection type you are using for the headphones. Much easier to use than the normal XLR that you see. I guess I am lazy when it comes to rotation and trying to figure out how those XLRs plug in. Especially when attempting to listen to multiple headphones under a comparison study.

Great write-up....

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 30
^Now maybe I understand what you did exactly. I have been confused as to how you actually could do this. Thanks

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 30
soooo close to pulling that with the zana deux at the national meet.....

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 30
Ah that's what my TRS to XLR cable was for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back