Changing from Senn HD580 to ???
Feb 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 27
Several of you have inquired as to the problems I am having.

The problem is not the grill or cord. The problem is the band over my head. If you look at the 580, there are two parts to the stuff that goes round the head: 1) The lower part (touches head) and that is just fine, and 2) the hard plastic part on the top - which is where the problem is. A few days ago, it started to crack (first I noticed). Within about a day, the plastic in that area had practically dissintegrated. I had been planning to buy some tape or glue to stop it from getting worse, but it is now too late. It is hanging on my head more than my ears (so it basically falls off if I move) and is not comfortable.

If there are suggestions on how to fix it, I would certainly welcome them. I guess I should do a search on this too.

And as an aside, to those who tell me to buy an amp, did you notice that I had an amp or are you saying the one I have isn't good enough?

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 27
A cracked headband is a problem. And unfortunately too common the the HD580. People have tried to fix a cracked headband with epoxy and other methods but that's not gonna work well.

Sennheiser does sell replacement headbands. You have to call them to find out what they have. They don't have the headbands listed online. I forget how much the headbands are, but the price is going to be more than a breakable part like that should sell for which is why people opt to try the various epoxy fixes that never end up working.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 27
Ditto... agree... with most of these comments.

If you've got the "new" HD580s, you've got phones that are "about as good as it gets" - bar none. With the right source, and amp, and with the HD600 grills, and a good cable (I prefer the RAL Cryo-Silver) - you'll find very few phones that sound any better, if any.

My "new" HD580s sound identical to my "new" HD650s - and both sound superb with my sources and amps.

So... if you've got the "new" ones... just fix them up, match them with the right source and amp... and be happy... and... confident... that it really doesn't get much better!

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call up Sennheiser and order a new headband.

I guess that can't hurt and will give that a try.

Looking at it, I don't see how it will fit in, but I suppose they would explain that.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got the "new" HD580s, you've got phones that are "about as good as it gets" - bar none. With the right source, and amp, and with the HD600 grills, and a good cable (I prefer the RAL Cryo-Silver) - you'll find very few phones that sound any better, if any.

I would hazzard a guess that your musical tastes are the forefront of your thinking; showing that you like acoustic and classical/alternative rock. The 580s lack any real attack for energetic music and the spatial head stage doesn't reveal depth like other headphones do for the likes of electronic; from ambient to techno.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukrneal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that can't hurt and will give that a try.

Looking at it, I don't see how it will fit in, but I suppose they would explain that.

On the inside side of each end of the headband is a plastic tab that says "Made In Ireland" on it. Use a butter knife or a pocket knife to pry each tab off (they snap in and snap out). Then you can slide the foam part of the headband off. Then you can see what is necessary to remove the metal bands from the plastic part of the headband. Everything pulls out and you'll be left with just the plastic part of the headband.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hazzard a guess that your musical tastes are the forefront of your thinking; showing that you like acoustic and classical/alternative rock. The 580s lack any real attack for energetic music and the spatial head stage doesn't reveal depth like other headphones do for the likes of electronic; from ambient to techno.

HD580 is capable of almost effortless representation if they're driven properly. These headphones along with HD600 have an impedance of 300ohms and sensitivity of 97db, not to mention their impedance fluctuates dramatically over the frequency range jumping to 600ohms in midrange.

HD580/HD600 should be driven like a 600ohms headphone and only then they sound as they should.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 27
AN Update:

I called senn and they said I would need to send it in. It would either cost $60 if they could fix/replace it or $260 or so to replace the whole unit if they cannot (they replace with the most similar unit, which in this case is the HD600).

Technically, the thing sounds just fine, it's just the band that is failing/failed. I'm not liking the second option. I suppose I could ask them to fix it or not fix, but not to replace it. But there is still all the added aggrevation of packing and shipping and all that.

I wonder if I could buy a short plastic band that I could somehow adhere to the parts of the band that are still fine on top, which would take the stress away from the part that has failed in the middle...

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 27
Fix the 580, and with the money you saved get 600 grills and cable and a portable amp/dac to take with you. Its not as good as a home amp, but certainly better than no amp...and youre a portable guy, so it will be good for you.

Check out own forsale forum for parts. ie. broken 580/600/650 or grills, drivers, cables etc.
Might be able to upgrade/fix them yourself.

Its really a great headphone for the price,especially for classical.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukrneal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called senn and they said I would need to send it in. It would either cost $60 if they could fix/replace it or $260 or so to replace the whole unit if they cannot (they replace with the most similar unit, which in this case is the HD600).

What fraudsters! This shows you how much sennheiser markup their goods before they hit the market... there is absolutely no way it costs more than a couple dollars if that for the headband. Take Skullcandy; crap sound quality, good build quality with better headbands and the entire headphone costs $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back