Changing from Senn HD580 to ???
Feb 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ukrneal

New Head-Fier
Hi all. My HD580 is having issues and I fear it is time to buy something new (sigh, that sucking sound is the money from my pocket...again). I have really enjoyed the 580 - no complaints whatsoever.

I listen to classical music from my laptop. I have a Total Bithead amp (use only some of the time). The computer is a recent Sony. Within classical, I listen to eveything - symphony, piano, chamber, etc... I also listen to some jazz/vocals (5% of the time).

I don't want to buy another amp (the short version is that I spend lots of time abroad and cannot deal with the worry of plugging into strange voltage and sockets all the time), so I am looking for just a headphone (no IEM).

I have tried the ATH-AD900, and I hated it. It was (to my ears) much worse than the HD580. I bought them, because I was thinking of trying to replace the amp with a headphone that could live without one.

The phones I am considering:
1. HD600 - Closest to what I have now, so I would probably like it. ~$300
2. DT 880 32 ohms - I was thinking of this since I am sometimes lazy about connecting the amp, but would go for the 250 ohm if people thought this was better. ~$300 (250 ohm is a little cheaper)
3. D2000/D5000 - not sure if my amp is sufficient and not sure how these will sound with classical music. ~$340/$440

I've seen some general comparisons of the above phones in threads, but they most don't seem to address my specifics, hence my need for help.

What do you think considering my setup? Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 27
I do not find DT880 32 ohms better in any way than 250Ohm version, even unamped... And I like HD600 better than both versions (especially for classical), but here I can see it's my preference. If you chose DT880 over HD600 do not buy it with 32ohms, maybe you will buy an amp eventually and boy you will regret this.

I do not know much about denons..

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 27
I went from HD580 to Denon D2000 and it was a step down in the detail department; they definitely had more bass but it was the flabby, monotone kind. Both of these headphones also greatly improve when amped; get a full size desktop amp, perhaps tubes for the 580s. On the other hand if you don't want an amp get the JVC RX700s - quite possibly the best unamped cans I've heard... certainly better than under-amped D2000s.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went from HD580 to Denon D2000 and it was a step down in the detail department; they definitely had more bass but it was the flabby, monotone kind. Both of these headphones also greatly improve when amped; get a full size desktop amp, perhaps tubes for the 580s. On the other hand if you don't want an amp get the JVC RX700s - quite possibly the best unamped cans I've heard... certainly better than under-amped D2000s.

Thx for your opinion Graphicism, it helped me allot.. I'm enjoying the HD650 and I was thinking at Denon D2000-D5000 (wanted a similar but closed can with and a little bit more resolution and detail)...now I think the only choise is DX1000..

Back to the topic

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 27
Have you considered the AKG 701/702? My source is a Macbook Pro>Total Bithead>AKG 701/HD650 with mostly high quality classical lossless files. The AKGs are well within your budget and suggest you read the Stereophile review and others.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 27
If you really love how your HD580 sound, so just go for HD600. It's just the same with slight improvement.

But, if you want or dare to try different flavour.......... DT880 perhaps satisfied you.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jetti.ping /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really love how your HD580 sound, so just go for HD600. It's just the same with slight improvement.

But, if you want or dare to try different flavour.......... DT880 perhaps satisfied you.

Part of it is the price though. I spent less than $150 for the HD580's. They were a really good deal. IF I can find a good deal on one of these, that may sway me too.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukrneal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. My HD580 is having issues and I fear it is time to buy something new (sigh, that sucking sound is the money from my pocket...again). I have really enjoyed the 580 - no complaints whatsoever.

What issues are your HD580 having? If it is an intermittent connection with the cable in the ear cups that can be fixed.

First fix to try would be the HD650 cable. It has a larger and more secure plug that fits more securely in the ear cup and doesn't wiggle as much. Less wiggling means less intermittent connections. The HD650 cable has a 1/4" plug so you'll need to also get an adapter to be able to plug into a laptop. Sennheiser USA sells the HD650 cable for $12.55 and an adapter for $5.24 (plus shipping). I've switched my HD600 and HD580 to the HD650 cable. It's a much more reliable connection.

Second option for a fix involves surgery inside the ear cups. Hopefully you won't have to do this, I haven't had to do this fix (yet) to either my HD580 or HD600. How to fix HD580/HD600 intermittent connections

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 27
The HD600 is identical to the HD580 + metal grills. If you're comfortable doing some basic work on the headphones, tracking down a pair of HD600 grills and putting them on your HD580 could save you about $285.

There's really no reason to spend the $$$ on the HD600 when you've got an HD580.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 27
i can only offer one small bit of wisdom. you listed the 32 ohm version of the dt880.
i bought this headphone and was very disappointed with it. overly bright and overly bassy, with recessed mids.
to get the best out of beyer's line of headphones you really have to go with their higher impedence models.

i can't really do much in the way of recommendations. but, for something that will sound good with classical straight out of a laptop, i can only recommend the hd595. perhaps a slight improvement over the hd580, and the angled drivers will give a nice soundstage for the price.
and, it's currently going for under 200 at most stores.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600 is identical to the HD580 + metal grills. If you're comfortable doing some basic work on the headphones, tracking down a pair of HD600 grills and putting them on your HD580 could save you about $285.

There's really no reason to spend the $$$ on the HD600 when you've got an HD580.

Agreed! You can buy a replacement 650 cable and the 600 grills from Senn and have your own miniature upgrade. It sounds like you're happy with what you have anyway. If you have to try something else, though, the 880's would be a fine choice.

Oh, and buy a DAC/Amp like the EF2 or something...I don't know how you survive with laptop sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back