Changes needed to B22 for preamp use?
Mar 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a n_maher built B22 that has speaker taps switched from then presence/absence of headphones.  Problem is my studio monitors are powered and only want line level input via 1/4 phono.  So simple question, can I just use a 1/4 to speaker tap cable or does the zobel network need to go and rca posts come in.  The studio monitors aren't for critical listening so I'm not terribly concerned about minor changes to sound quality, just function.  Thoughts?

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Why not one of these 2 things:
Figure out how to remove or bypass the amp in the monitors. 

Passive preamp.

The ends result I need is the Burson DAC feeding the B22/LCD-2 and studio monitors in a way that is one or the other.  The switch for power on the monitors is rear mounted so the easy fix is out.  I could maybe use a dual RCA to 1/4 stereo adapter and just use the front of the B22 but that sounds like a formula for blowing the mosfets over time.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Id use a splitter from the DAC to BOTH the B22 and a passive Pre. 

If the burson can drive a low impedance load (like 5 or 10K, which isn't really that low) a passive pre is pretty much foolproof. 

Maybe put a switch to go like this:

Input
switch between:
Direct output to B22 (or whatever)
pot, output to monitors.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 9
that setup sounds suspiciously similar to the setup I have!  i had a user here (he went by nikongod, and looks suspiciously similar to the dude in your avatar) build me a passive pre box that included a passthrough for my headamp, and a pot for use with my active monitors. 

I highly recommend this setup, as it makes life super easy

Quote:
Id use a splitter from the DAC to BOTH the B22 and a passive Pre. 

If the burson can drive a low impedance load (like 5 or 10K, which isn't really that low) a passive pre is pretty much foolproof. 

Maybe put a switch to go like this:

Input
switch between:
Direct output to B22 (or whatever)
pot, output to monitors.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Because quality isn't a concern, I would just go with any old passive preamp.

searching "RCA volume control" I found the following:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Remote-Amplifier-Level-Controller/dp/B0002J226O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301423701&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AALC-Remote-Level-Controller/dp/B003FPD3IS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301423701&sr=8-2

If you want to DIY, you could use a pot and an Altoids tin, but after parts and shipping and the effort it takes, it's probably not worth it.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Couldn't you just wire a pair of RCAs into the B22 tapped right after the volume control and use this as a line out? Or take them in parallel with the input for a fixed gain line out? Minus one box and a pair of interconnects doing it this way.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 9
If I had any solder skills... ya =)  Ideally since I really don't see me using the speaker amp function I could have someone make the left side a loop out and the right side a preamp out.  The holes are there, its the know how that isn't :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back