Change - Yes He Can, Justin that is...
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #31 of 45
This looks good! I've been using the Pico as my laptop's DAC/preamp connected to my lisa, now I cant wait for this to come out!

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty certain this will be a usb only dac. If you are using a computer as a source I don't know why you would use optical over usb (I saw you had a sound card listed in your sig so assumed you are using a computer).

It would be for a completely different CD transport rig that I've been thinking about.

OT: I don't understand why there is exactly ONE portable DAC (AFAIK) with optical in existence. Can no one else see the value?
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be for a completely different CD transport rig that I've been thinking about.

OT: I don't understand why there is exactly ONE portable DAC (AFAIK) with optical in existence. Can no one else see the value?
confused.gif

Now why do you need a portable DAC for a CD transport rig. That's the question. Yes, Mac users have optical outs as well but there's no point using the optical out unless your DAC only accepts optical input. So, what's the whole point of putting an optical input on a portable DAC?

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now why do you need a portable DAC for a CD transport rig. That's the question. Yes, Mac users have optical outs as well but there's no point using the optical out unless your DAC only accepts optical input. So, what's the whole point of putting an optical input on a portable DAC?

Well actually, a lot of PCDPs have optical outs so you could put together a pcdp rig that would surely be more cheaper and more transportable than a laptop + usb DAC rig.

Anyways, you could ask the same question about why you would ever need a portable USB DAC without an amp. I think the point is that many people think very highly of the DAC in the Pico and would like to have a stand-alone option; size is not really the main issue here.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be a completely different product then. This is USB DAC, if that's not what you're looking for I understand that but wishing it's something that it was never meant to be is kind of like
banghead.gif
. Now if you want to try and convince Justin to build a more full featured DAC that's a different discussion entirely.

Well I imagined that it was like requesting a 6mm headphone jack instead of a mini jack. I guess I was always under the impression that it's not very hard to add an optical input to a DAC. So I thought it was something Justin could do easily to the existing product. Your post has just made me realize that I might be mistaken!
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Well actually, a lot of PCDPs have optical outs so you could put together a pcdp rig that would surely be more cheaper and more transportable than a laptop + usb DAC rig.

Anyways, you could ask the same question about why you would ever need a portable USB DAC without an amp. I think the point is that many people think very highly of the DAC in the Pico and would like to have a stand-alone option; size is not really the main issue here.

To use our own portable amp? Simple enough reason. And not many people have PCDPs if you think about it.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To use our own portable amp? Simple enough reason. And not many people have PCDPs if you think about it.

Well my point was that any time you can use a USB DAC with a laptop, you can use a optical DAC with a pcdp. You are probably right that not many people have pcdps but it's really easy to get your hands on one if you wanted to (or something similar with optical out).

Edit: Like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-portable-DVD...3A1|240%3A1318

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Well I imagined that it was like requesting a 6mm headphone jack instead of a mini jack. I guess I was always under the impression that it's not very hard to add an optical input to a DAC. So I thought it was something Justin could do easily to the existing product. Your post has just made me realize that I might be mistaken!
tongue.gif

You have to add a different receiver chip for the optical input, and the design changes. The current receiver chip only accepts USB, and outputs I2S into the AD1796 ASRC upconverting chip which then feeds the high end wolfson DAC.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to disturb the current topic, but what would this dac be compared to the dacmagic? I know its too early to say but is it reasonable to assume that the dacmagic would be better simply because of its size? Or does size not matter when it comes to dac conversion?

Arguably size could matter in what gets stuffed inside, but I wouldn't base any decisions on it alone. And in this specific battle I'm not sure I'd put my money on the DacMagic.
wink.gif
We'll see. The standard Pico is a pretty amazing source and like the OP thought the Duet the only real competition (new prices).

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to add a different receiver chip for the optical input, and the design changes. The current receiver chip only accepts USB, and outputs I2S into the AD1896 ASRC upconverting chip which then feeds the high end wolfson DAC.

That's not much of a problem, but it would have to run on battery power for an optical input instead of USB power. And a DAC like the one in the Pico would need a battery several times larger than the one in the Pico headphone amp to get a decent battery life.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much more appealing the product would be if it kept onboard amp as original Pico. Guess there are some serious limitations to make it happen. I use my Pico 90% as DAC only, but certainly appreciate the ability to hook it up to DAP whenever I switch to portalbe setup. Wondering if the difference between hp out and line out of the new version warrants an upgrade. Any chance to A/B two?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We may have a chance at the Tampa meet. I will have the dac and I'm sure there will be at least one Pico amp/dac there as well.

Mike, did you have a chance to compare new dac with amp/dac on that meet?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back