Change - Yes He Can, Justin that is...
Nov 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will make a great stocking stuffer.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like you are trying to take over the Santa gig from Wayne!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nope, just hoping Santa Wayne buys a bunch and stuffs all our stockings with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 45
What looks like another great product from Justin.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 45
Nice write-up, Mike. I think your stated philosophy below regarding impressions is wise, and a good way to approach gear.

Quote:

I tend not to start impression threads these days as I don’t have the ability to put into words the feelings imparted from a listening experience as others are able to do. I tend to be more general in my comments, as I have been here. That is how I listen to music. I don’t try to determine how good a piece of gear sounds but rather how much enjoyment I get from listening to a piece of music.

I've had my eye on the Pico for a while. And now this is tempting me, too. Like grawk, I wish there were some more input/output options, but Justin appears to have settled on the one that will be most easily integrated into most systems, which makes sense. I'd still like to see an optical input.

Regardless, there is always room on my desktop for a small-sized, big-sounding DAC. I look forward to hearing Justin's new creation. This also makes me want a MacBook.

Mike, any further thoughts on system synergy, or would you say this is an all-'rounder.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't this the DAC only version of the Pico that can be pre-ordered? And priced identically to the amp-only Pico for $350?

The DAC only Pico is not available yet. You can get a Pico that is only a headphone amp and one that is an amp and dac at the moment. This is a usb DAC only with RCA outputs. The prototype I have has a mini out as as well.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #23 of 45
I thought i read that it would be priced close to the headphone only pico but with a possible slight reduction in price below that due to the lack of battery needed.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought i read that it would be priced close to the headphone only pico but with a possible slight reduction in price below that due to the lack of battery needed.

I am guessing you are probably correct.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Read thread #2803 at HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Nope, just hoping Santa Wayne buys a bunch and stuffs all our stockings with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Change? Bah hum bug! I'm so sick of the word "change" it's not even funny!

Nice idea for a product, though. It seems that Justin has another winner on his hands here.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 45
Nice report. I am supposed to get a shot at trying this DAC out too, since I use the Pico a lot as a DAC/Pre-amp to feed ful size amps - today I was using the Pico with Macbook to feed my Woo GES and Stax O2 in the living room. With the Pico for this, I don't have to disconnect my Apogee mini-DAC from my balanced amp and WA6 and CD player in the bedroom with my main rig, and carry it around the house with the sigma 11 PSU.
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea if Justin will add additional input to the DAC apart from USB? I'd be interested in buying one if it's NOT just USB only...

x2

Id get it if it had optical input..

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #29 of 45
I am pretty certain this will be a usb only dac. If you are using a computer as a source I don't know why you would use optical over usb (I saw you had a sound card listed in your sig so assumed you are using a computer).

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Id get it if it had optical input..

It would be a completely different product then. This is USB DAC, if that's not what you're looking for I understand that but wishing it's something that it was never meant to be is kind of like
banghead.gif
. Now if you want to try and convince Justin to build a more full featured DAC that's a different discussion entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back