Challenge: Talk Me Out of Beats Studio
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

cnote678

Head-Fier
I'm probably going to buy some Beats Studio. I get them 50% off through a connect I have. The reason I plan to buy them is I think they will be a very good fit for what I plan to use them for. But, since I know my fellow head-fiers have strong opinions against them, I figured I'd outline what I want in this pair of phones, then mention why I think the Beats would be a good fit. I'd greatly appreciate if you guys would take a look at my criterion and see if there's a better option out there for me.

I am looking for a pair of over-ear headphones to use on the go all the time. They will be my winter alternative to my Turbine Pro Coppers-why get earmuffs when you could just get headphones?! [edit: thanks DarkAudit!] I listen almost exclusively to rap and hip-hop, but also electronica. I won't really be using them for anything other than music on the go, but perhaps the occasional movie. They need to be:

-Comfortable to wear around the neck. I have Shure's SRH840 and they are awkward to wear around the neck because the earpieces are so large you can't turn your head. That, and the cable is overly long and ridiculously clunky, making them just an overall pain in the @ss. They've now been relegated to reference use at my desk only because of this. I think the Beats will do very well in this category as people wear them around the neck all the time.

-Fully phone compatible. This category is not negotiable, as I will be using them with my iPhone constantly, and I will definitely want to use the microphone to talk to people and use the remote (yes they must have a mic and remote, sorry Grado lovers) to change songs. The remote on my Coppers absolutely sucks for this, so anything will probably be an improvement. Also ideally they won't be too hard to drive, but you can't have it all. The Beats have a mic and remote.

-Noise canceling or extremely sound isolating. I will be using them on the CTA a lot as I take the train to work everyday. My Coppers do a decent job of this but I do have to turn them up more on the train to still enjoy my music. The Beats should do well with this (at least better than my Coppers) considering they have dedicated batteries just for this purpose.

-Good looking. They don't have to be as cool as the Beats, but I am really not trying to rock ugly cans all winter. They should be better looking than the SRH840 at least (not that those are ugly but they are quite clunky and look silly when you're walking around). The Beats look undisputedly awesome, and I'd be getting the white.

At last, ideally they'd be less than $200-250. 

So, is there a better option out there for me? Let me know what you think!

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 39
I'm not too sure about the fact that beats are bad headphones, rather they aren't deserving of their price tag. For the right price I wouldn't mine getting them either. Especially the Lebron James sports ones, could definitely use those at the gym

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 39
Yeah, the price is a big factor-it's a pretty amazing discount and it expires at the end of the year so I want to be sure to take advantage. Thanks electronics retail job!

I hadn't heard about a LeBron version though, I'll have to look into those because I work out a lot and having over ears for the gym would be pretty cool.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 39
You're leaving out one very important factor in your criteria. What will you be listening to? As tests over at [H]ardOCP discovered, the Beats do some genres very well, others not so much. And tasks like movies are completely out of their league.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 39
Look into the V-MODA M80's. Built like tanks customizable sides, looks like they come with 2 cables one with a mic/remote (?) also good out of a phone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews  ( notice the first reviewer.... Jude )

As close looking as you may get, but way nicer looking.

Armaegis did a fantastic portable comparison and review here: ( notice the M80 there too.)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

If that doesn't hit it for you then look through here. 96 portables!!!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

there's a bunch of options for you it's a start. I'm sure some others will chime in with options for you too.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 39
Thanks for all the replies so far, guys! I will say that unfortunately I'm going to rule out the M-80. While they really do look awesome and seem to have very satisfying sound qualities, I'm going to say based on the first several reviews consistently mentioning poor isolation and cable bulk/length that they are not going to be a good fit. Bulky, overly long cables like the ones on my SRH840s absolutely drive me nuts, cluttering up my pockets with tangled rubber. They would probably be a great alternative to my SRH840's, but then again that's another headphone search. 

It seems a flaw of a lot of the 96 'portables' for my needs is the lack of a mic. For example, the HD25's seem like they'd be an awesome option, but they don't have a remote and mic. Can manufacturers just aren't in tune with the needs of portable head-fiers I guess! The thing is, I want the portable functionality, isolation and comfort of the Beats with the sound of my Coppers, and maybe I'm being too picky. I honestly might just say screw it and skip getting another pair of cans. I've listened to the Beats Studio at work, and in comparison to my Coppers and SRH840s, they really do sound terrible and muddy. I think the Bose QuietComfort 15 is actually the perfect fit for me, but I don't want to spend $300 and unfortunately I can't get them at a sweet 50% off. Maybe I'll do what Uncle Erik suggested and use the profit towards some of those...

Or, maybe I'll just invest in a good warm hat.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 39
Sounds like your mind is already made up.  Buy them and enjoy them, why so worried about what anonymous people on the internet will think?  If you can, buy an extended warranty if it covers wear and tear.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
Why so worried about what anonymous people on the internet will think?

I was actually just hoping there was a better alternative for the money that I didn't know about and that somebody would suggest. But after perusal of the '96 portables' as well as others, I think in the price range it really will be tough to find something better. I'm going to buy them (white or silver I can't decide) and try them out. If I don't like them I'll sell them and hopefully not have to spend too much to upgrade to the Bose QC 15's. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 39
That Bose crack was just to get a rise out of us, wasn't it?  Ha!  For half-price, give the Beats a try and see if you like them.  If not, sell them at a profit and try something else (maybe the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b, Sennheiser PXC450, or Beyerdynamic DJX-1 (even less $$$).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back