Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Dec 13, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #436 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u might have to set your default playback device to the fortissimo IV

when i installed my 0404 usb, i had the same exact prblem, then realized that thedefault playback device was set on "spidf out," had to change it back to 0404

If you're playing something in foobar with WASAPI all other sounds i.e. DirectSound will not work

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #438 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a chaintech but a fortissimo IV (envy24 too).
I'm using win7 64 and installed everything, foobar with wasapi works just fine, same thing when I try to watch a movie but if I'm using foobar and launch a movie at the same time the computer acts like I don't have a sound card installed anymore...
Is there a solution to this?
It worked fine when I was using the onboard audio (acl888).
Speaking of the onboard audio is there any difference compared with the soundcard or could I just use the onboard? (optical to zero dac)

This has been happening to me too, except i have the chaintech. I just defaulted foobar to ds envy speakers. Less trouble to deal with until they figure out the wasapi thing.

Also i had trouble installing the 5.40a Envy24 Audio Controller in windows 7 64bit. I had to use the compatibility setting to vista sp2 in order to install it. I think this may be helpful to add on to the original post in case people run into trouble here.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #439 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been happening to me too, except i have the chaintech. I just defaulted foobar to ds envy speakers. Less trouble to deal with until they figure out the wasapi thing.

Also i had trouble installing the 5.40a Envy24 Audio Controller in windows 7 64bit. I had to use the compatibility setting to vista sp2 in order to install it. I think this may be helpful to add on to the original post in case people run into trouble here.

From the OP in the Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit section: "4. Install it using Setup.exe (Application) in the Setup directory. (Note: For Windows 7, use XP SP2 compatibility mode.)"

Should this be changed to say 'Vista SP2 compatibility mode?'

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #440 of 512
I think it should say use vista sp2 compatibility mode if it doesnt work by just clicking the setup. I didn't try it with xp sp2 mode because it worked the first time using the vista mode. Maybe others will chime in with whether it works or not with xp sp2, but from one of the posts i read in this thread it seems that it doesnt.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #441 of 512
So does this actually work properly in windows 7 now? I had it in Vista and it was terrible. It would cut out every time I put my computer in standby. foobar would work but if I tried to play a youtube video while foobar was running the sound would cut out. Nevermind all the issues with trying to use it with FL Studio.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #442 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does this actually work properly in windows 7 now? I had it in Vista and it was terrible. It would cut out every time I put my computer in standby. foobar would work but if I tried to play a youtube video while foobar was running the sound would cut out. Nevermind all the issues with trying to use it with FL Studio.

I've kinda given up on using my AV-710 in my windows 7 pc. It doesn't play nice with other sound cards at all, and it was kinda finnicky in general. I think ill put it in the old windows XP pc instead.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #443 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've kinda given up on using my AV-710 in my windows 7 pc. It doesn't play nice with other sound cards at all, and it was kinda finnicky in general. I think ill put it in the old windows XP pc instead.

I ended up buying a nu-force uDAC. Its great, but maybe not as good a value as the AV710, and no 24/192 capability.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #444 of 512
I have been working on this for days and I'm about to give up! I had this working before with Windows 7 (32-bit), but something changed and now I can't get any Dolby digital or DTS detected on my receiver. I'm running SPDIF from my Chaintech AV-710. I have tried multiple drivers (5.40a, 5.40f), and currently have 4.73b installed. I have AC3 filter installed, WM Classic, and have tried Zoomplayer, VLC Player, PowerDVD, and still no surround. I do have sound from my receiver, but it just isn't detecting the Dolby or DTS like it should be. I have read threads for hours and have tried just about everything. I know there is a trick to setting up the VIA "Audio Deck" control panel in order to get it to work, so maybe that's my only problem. If anyone could give me any help I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if anyone has a suggestion for a cheap, Win 7 compatible sound card with Toslink, that would probably be helpful too! Thanks again for everyone's help...

Josh Stevanus

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #445 of 512
At risk of necro'ing an old thread (and for my first post!), I tried the steps listed and they didn't work for my Onkyo SE90 on Win7 x64 (I got distorted bad sound). However, these drivers worked perfectly:
ƒIƒ“ƒLƒˆ[Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐFPC ƒTƒEƒ“ƒhŠÖ˜A»•i>SE-90PCI@ƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh

They are 5.40f which appears newer than whats available on via's site (5.40a), and work without any unusual steps on win7 x64. No idea if they work on other Envy24 cards or not, but might be worth a shot?

EDIT: The link is in Japanese but points to the SE-90 driver page on the onkyo website.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #446 of 512
Great gobs of wasabi, this Japanese driver works!! It cruised right through the install flawlessly.

I haven't tested the optical out, but can verify it works with Win7 Pro 64bit with my AV-710 on foobar2000 and Windows Media Player.

Ichiban number one AV-710 Windows 7 driver, thanks!!

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #448 of 512
When I installed the AV-710 last weekend, I used the green jack on the back, outputting to my Logitech Z-340 2.1 speakers and the headphone jack on them to test the "foobar 5.1 headphone headphone experience". It was working fine per instructions here in bold.

9. Enable 2CH (not High Quality mode) by clicking the appropriate circle.
10. In Foobar, select WASAPI (envy24 speakers) as the output device.

Today, I read that the lower black port actually runs off the better Wolfson DAC, hmm. I went into the Envy control panel and switched the digital out to "S/PDIF out enable" and "PCM only", "2 channel Hi Sample Rate", and changed the sample rate to "96KHz". In foobar2000, there are 2 options for the "Envy 24 family audio controller WDM" (a) speakers (b) Digital audio (S/PDIF). I set it to the digital audio S/PDIF mode and now there is audio streaming out the lower black jack (haven't tried optical) port to my speakers and my 5.1 channel headphone mode still seems to work ok.

Are these the settings I should use?

Next up, I have a early 90s Rotel RC-960BX preamp and RB-960BX amp, B&W DM610 speakers, excellent little 2 channel setup. Can I do this below in bold?

AV-710 black port > 3.5mm to dual RCA jack cable > preamp > amp > B&Ws

I also have an old 5.1 channel Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX, could it be used instead? Thinking of a 2.1 setup or maybe even 5.1 if it works.

Another angle is just buying better powered PC speakers for WAF usage and use the old Logitech Z-340s elsewhere.

Sorry for all the questions, wasn't sure if I should post this on the 5.1 head phone experience, which I really like by the way, or here.
redface.gif

Update: Tonight I temporarily tested using the Rotel RC-960BX preamp / RB-960BX amp, B&W DM610 speakers setup as described above. Once I unplug the AV-710, I had to reboot to get foobar2000 to work again, then all was well. I am testing with 320 bitrate Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite music and noticed a couple times it sounded garbled a couple times for some reason, never noticed it using my Logitech Z-340s. I also noticed it sounds really smooth on the Logitechs, clear but a little harsh on the B&W setup for some reason. Not sure, maybe it is because I've gotten used to the Logitech setup, haven't used the other stuff in years.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #449 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At risk of necro'ing an old thread (and for my first post!), I tried the steps listed and they didn't work for my Onkyo SE90 on Win7 x64 (I got distorted bad sound). However, these drivers worked perfectly:
ƒIƒ“ƒLƒˆ[Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐFPC ƒTƒEƒ“ƒhŠÖ˜A»•i>SE-90PCI@ƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh

They are 5.40f which appears newer than whats available on via's site (5.40a), and work without any unusual steps on win7 x64. No idea if they work on other Envy24 cards or not, but might be worth a shot?

EDIT: The link is in Japanese but points to the SE-90 driver page on the onkyo website.

This 5.40f driver works on Windows 7 x64 for AV-710 without using compatibility mode. You will be able to get 24bit/96kHz locked output, not bit-perfect. To get bit-perfect 16bit/44.1/48kHz output follow infinitesymphony's guide from step 5 after installing the 5.40f driver.

Here are a couple tips for n00bs such as myself:
Create a system restore point! It will save you a lot of headache if you screw up.
Do not use the FRONT AUDIO pins, and do not remove the two jumpers

In my case I spent 3 hours troubleshooting because the OS freezes everytime it tries to playback anything. I believe it was because at first I wanted to use front audio so I removed the jumpers, but didn't replace them after I thought it was causing problems. However, I also switched the PCI slot position so I am not 100% sure what was the problem.

Thank you ascl for posting this working driver and infinitesymphony for the great guide!
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back