Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #406 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by boskono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding what takt said would be helpful.

I updated the instructions with his changes a few days ago... Are there any other important settings that need to be mentioned?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #407 of 512
Finally got it working on W7 x64 RTM! Followed instructions on first thread and works great. Key was to install in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode, not SP3 which gives random errors for some reason.

Edit: Having issues. When I am listening to foobar with WASAPI and go to a youtube video or watch a movie with Media Player Classic, the Windows Sound Service crashes and I have reboot to get sound again. If I use foobar with normal DS mode then it works just fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #408 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I updated the instructions with his changes a few days ago... Are there any other important settings that need to be mentioned?

For Step 4, I would recommend to right click Setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator". This is important for Vista/W7.

I had issues on Step 9. I did not get the "There will be two drivers in the next screen one with and without "64 bits" under the model field." part. Instead it said that my existing drivers installed are fine which were the 5.40a.

To correct it, after the "Browse my computer for driver software" section I had to select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" at the bottom. Then click "Have Disk..." and navigate to the folder Drive:Envy24_Family_64 Bit Drivers_V460b\Envy24_Family_64 Bit Drivers_V460b\Drivers\AMD64 and select "Envy24HF". Now it shows the two items with 64 bits at the end. I selected the first one then it installed.

I am using a fresh install of a genuine Windows 7 x64 RTM.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #409 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7 RTM here, couldn't get the 5.40a driver set to install. Setup.exe quits abruptly with an error message: Could not locate supported hardware"

What gives?

You need to right click Setup.exe and go to Properties > Compatibility then select Run in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) mode. Then hit OK. Now right click Setup.exe again and select Run as Administrator.

Should work now.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #410 of 512
On your second picture. You have "Enable audio enhancements" disabled under Signal Enhancements. Is there a reason for this as mine by default had this option Enabled.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by boskono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on windows 7 x64 and I followed all the steps in the OP and on the last couple of pages, however I am not getting sound out of the black port next to the optical port. I can only get sound from the green port.

Edit: I got it working! Here is an updated screenshot:

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #412 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzbloopzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to right click Setup.exe and go to Properties > Compatibility then select Run in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) mode. Then hit OK. Now right click Setup.exe again and select Run as Administrator.

Should work now.

Thanks, but I used Vista SP 2 compatibility mode at first, per this suggestion by the OP
Quote:

4. Install it using Setup.exe (Application) in the Setup directory. (Note: For Windows 7, use Vista SP2 compatibility mode.)

Anyway, I tried XP SP2 compatibility mode to no good effect either before I posted that. Windows update sees the driver for it, so it can't be the faulty hardware.

BIG EDIT: I installed the driver set that came thru windows update. Lo and behold, now the 5.40a driver installation goes through without any hiccups. Everything beyond that was fine, except I couldn't get either KS or WASAPI output device working in fb2k; directsound still works, and I am glad now I can use it with the wolfson DAC for videos using KMP. The card is on my main rig where I don't do any headphone listening, so I am pretty happy with how far I got with it
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT 2: got a BSOD while installing a game patch with fb2k playing music in the background. This has been a stable, non-OC'd machine (for the time being) otherwise. The culprit is Envy24ht.sys, as shown clearly on the BSOD message.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #414 of 512
I tried following the directions in this thread for Windows 7 64-bit, couldn't install the 540a version until I set compatibility to XP SP2 contrary to the OP. After I installed the drivers over the generic, working driver that Microsoft'd downloaded for me my sound stopped working, and then I tried installing the other version listed in the OP and it still didn't give me any sound, so I uninstalled all of my sound card's drivers/the actual device from the device manager, restarted, installed the generic Windows one again, restarted, and my sound still didn't work. I've spent the better part of the night trying different combinations of driver installs, removing my sound card from my case and a system restore to an earlier point in the night because I'd done so much tinkering with the drivers that I didn't have any restore points left that were from earlier and my sound still doesn't work. Would anyone have any ideas for something I could do? I feel like my only option is to reinstall the entire operating system.

Edit: huh, I tried plugging some headphones directly into the sound card's green jack with the Windows drivers and get sound. I wonder if my receiver just conveniently died.

Edit: OK, just pretend this post is asking has anyone been able to get output out of the back surround port in Windows 7 64-bit?

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #417 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havn't had BSODs ever since.
The error I get with WASAPI reads:
Unrecoverable playback error: Endpoint creation failed (0x8889000F)

DS still works though.

I had the same problem. I had to change the sample rate from 48 to 44.1khz and it worked. Though for the longest time I couldn't make it budge from 48khz. FRAPS was somehow the culprit.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #419 of 512
hi guys

im having a bit of problem setting this soundcard up using standard 6ch audio.

i bought the card second hand so im not sure if its the way i have set it up or hardware damage.

i have followed the intructions here for vista32.

when everything is plugged in and setup correctly, i am not getting any audio from my front 2 speakers, all the other speakers are giving audio.

speakers used to work fine with my old realtek on-board..

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #420 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by antikkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys

im having a bit of problem setting this soundcard up using standard 6ch audio.

i bought the card second hand so im not sure if its the way i have set it up or hardware damage.

i have followed the intructions here for vista32.

when everything is plugged in and setup correctly, i am not getting any audio from my front 2 speakers, all the other speakers are giving audio.

speakers used to work fine with my old realtek on-board..

I don't think you can use the black high quality plug in 6ch mode. Try the green one- the SQ won't be nearly as good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back