CES Days 2 and 3: Skullcandy. That's right...Skullcandy.
Jan 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 198
I don't doubt that Skullcandy are capable of producing a decent set of cans if they truly wanted to, but I'd suggest to them they create a different name just for the high-end gear (rather like Toyota did with Lexus). They probably wont, but it's easier to sell low-end gear when you have a high-end reputation, than change a poor reputation just by making something decent.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 198
I want to echo Jude's words here: I was stunned when I listened to the Aviators and Mixmasers. STUNNED!

It was loud as hell in there, but I thought the Aviators rocked the boat. 

I can't wait to hear them here at home, but from what I did hear, I would say they are better than the 840. From what I heard, I'd say they may rank as best in price/type category.

Somebody smack me.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #19 of 198
Is it just me or are the Aviators trying to look more expensive than what they really are? I mean they do look lovely, but it sounds like a case of Toyota trying to look like a Rolls Royce.

And we're back at the branding of Skullcandy, which I think is their biggest problem at this point. On the other hand, we've got the calm and collected sure-shot headphones from pretty much all the bigger Hi-Fi brands like Sennheiser and Shure (car equilevants would be Mercedes Benz, Audi, Aston Martin..), and then there's this new kid on the block trying to challenge the big boys, but is being held back by the brand name and branding (the car equilevant to Skullcandy would be the Pimpmaster 5000). And honestly, the brand in itself is such a huge turn-off that they'd really have to bring miracles to the table to pull off this 'rebranding' of sorts. Have they pulled off miracles, what's the word on the street (luckily there are people there who are way more qualified than me to judge this, as it seem)?

Bear in mind I'm a trendy 20-something year old who wears purple sparkling pants occasionally for giggles, and Skullcandy as a brand name and the logo are HUGE turn-offs even for me. I'll take the Mercedes-Benz over the Pimpmaster 5000 any day, call me old and boring if you must.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #21 of 198
One major feature that nobody mentioned is their lifetime warranty. For the crowd they are selling their products (my 3 teenage kid included) it's a Budget saving. They also have a very good customer service (I talked with experience here) that will allow you to return a defective/broken product for a straight replacement, change the color if you like or even take the credit for future buy at the online store. Now for the car analogy do you remember the Hyundai Pony many years ago? And now that company with their new products was able to change their reputation from professional in the industry. I believed the Skullcandy can do the same but I agree that a new branding would make the task easier.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 198

Quote:
And we're back at the branding of Skullcandy, which I think is their biggest problem at this point. 

Yup, big problem, they're only selling more headphones than everybody else, and virtually every kid between 15 and 21 know the name.  

Oh, you mean they have a problem convincing our teeny-tiny, 0.05%of the market that they're really an audiophile headphone?

Well, they're not an audiophile headphone, they're just a good sounding headphone that the kids (once they've decided they want good sound) will take a shot at .... and dig.  Who knows, maybe they'll figure a headphone amp might be cool. And then maybe a DAC. And then ... well, you know the rest of the story dontcha?  We add 1 more to our tiny segment.

Sounds good to me.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #23 of 198
I'll bite on my portable or gaming rig!!!!  I can't wait to hear reviews on the mix master and the aviator but it seems for a gaming rig the mixmasters would be nice with their bass like emphasis.

As for a new name, probably the best thing they can do but it would also loose that cool aesthetic with the skull!

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 198
Quote:
I don't doubt that Skullcandy are capable of producing a decent set of cans if they truly wanted to, but I'd suggest to them they create a different name just for the high-end gear (rather like Toyota did with Lexus). They probably wont, but it's easier to sell low-end gear when you have a high-end reputation, than change a poor reputation just by making something decent.

I completely agree. Even if they changed the logo and produced truly excellent products, the name and associated negative connotations would still make me think twice before making a purchase.
This is probably just because I believe I'm not the target market. A grown man listening to 'Skull Candy' headphones? Hmmm.

So,
Name suggestions anyone?
I put forward "Cranium Eminance" 
dt880smile.png

Quote:
*Smack above* You're stoned again! Hallucinating with good quality Skullcandys and stuff like that... xD

biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #25 of 198
Skull Candy making good headphones!?!?!?! THIS IS MADNESS!!!!

AWESOME MADNESS!! Especially if their crazy warranty applies to the high-end models as well

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 198
Quote:

I didn't get around to listen to the pair Jude brought to the Ann Arbor meetup last week, but got to look them over when they were being passed around.

It's blingy as all get-out, and looks like it's held together with gold-colored wire, but the whole package is reassuringly solid. I'm impressed by the quality of build they've managed.

They're still Skull Candies, and if you want to optimize sound quality for your $150, without regards to appearances, you are probably better off checking some of the usual head-fi favorites. But if they sound as good as Jude says, they're going to bring better-quality sound to the people that consider headphones to be fashion accessories.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #27 of 198

Quote:
Quote:
And we're back at the branding of Skullcandy, which I think is their biggest problem at this point. 

Yup, big problem, they're only selling more headphones than everybody else, and virtually every kid between 15 and 21 know the name.  

Oh, you mean they have a problem convincing our teeny-tiny, 0.05%of the market that they're really an audiophile headphone?

Well, they're not an audiophile headphone, they're just a good sounding headphone that the kids (once they've decided they want good sound) will take a shot at .... and dig.  Who knows, maybe they'll figure a headphone amp might be cool. And then maybe a DAC. And then ... well, you know the rest of the story dontcha?  We add 1 more to our tiny segment.

Sounds good to me.

You're right I guess. It's the same deal with pop-'musicians' that are considered a joke among music lovers. Why should they care, every kid on the planet is buying their records and they're making enough money to last a lifetime etc. The problem I was referring to is only relevant if they want to be taken seriously by the minority who are truly interested in how they sound, and I don't know if they care or if they're just trying to make a buck, in which case whatever I think is irrelevant.

It's a sad state of affairs if I'm honest.. But them trying to push out something that's not pink or lime-green/gimmicky is at least a step in the right direction. So I guess.... Yay Skullcandy?

It'll take a while to get used to that.

Anyway how about those Sennheiser news? Eh? Eh?

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #28 of 198
good for them, it will take a lot more than nice looks to make me buy a pair. some of the previous posts are right on the mark...if Skullcandy manages to make some teens appreciate good sound, I am all for it.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back