CES Days 2 and 3: Skullcandy. That's right...Skullcandy.
Jan 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #121 of 198

Quote:
For anyone thinking that Skullcandy actually "creates", "manufactures", "tunes", or "tweaks" headphones, this might be a good read to start: http://gizmodo.com/5617200/the-secret-scam-of-cheap-earbuds

Just read the article. It's really good, I think you should make a thread with it. I would gladly do it, but I think you should since you brought this to Head-Fi.
I would say it's shocking, but sadly I expected something like this from Skullcandy and most other budget headphone companies.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #122 of 198

Quote:
bcasey25raptor said:

is it just me or is the wesc the new skullcandy? i am seeing way more wesc then skullcandy. it makes me wonder what the big deal with wesc is. they look pretty dang ugly to me.

WESC and Nixon here, in Vienna, Austria. Same garbage as Skullcandy, different OEM housings.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #126 of 198

Quote:
I'd rather not support a company that makes 95%+ of their income by selling re-branded, marked up garbage regardless of the fact they are able to make one a pair of "decent" cans. Considering how most of their fashion demographic aimed cans and iems are build horribly, break constantly and sound like a child hitting a coup can with a stick i hope you will forgive me doubting their integrity when it comes to moving into a higher end market. I mean this is a company that offers a life time warranty on their products because it's easier and cheaper to replace the garbage they sell repeatedly than to actually produce or create original products that can stand the test of time.

1+

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #127 of 198
Nice work SKDY..
I do see alot of people's points with the branding and such, I don't think Skullcandy are trying to BEAT the competition as that would take ALOT more than just a couple of new sets but trying to enter into the competition maybe. And these two sets seem good starting points to try get in on the head-fiers game.
I don't see why Skullcandy cannot offer their "Colourfull" range aswell as their "Proffessional" range under the same name head-fiers are of all ages so it would be smart to cater to all age groups.
No Skullcandy will not win "headphone of the year for these phones" but how about "most improved"? 
What we should do is keep an open mind and say "well Skullcandy if you want to play with the big boys you better step up"
It definately won't happen overnight and SC aren't stupid, they know who they are up against, but if they work at it and keep at it, you never know maybe in a couple years time they may be able to hold their own against some of the best headphone makers in the world.

I for one will keep an eye and ear out as I do consider look an important part of my purchase aswel as warranties and durability, sound being exceptional is just a given.
IF SC really get that sound quality up there (and i mean good all round not just good for Skullcandy) then I would definately try me a pair.

And when people say for that price blah blah!!.... Limited lifetime warranty.... nuff sed.. They're a good step in the right direction.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #128 of 198
Well, I decided to return mine today. Sitting on the bus and having to set the volume to max, and still hearing every word in the conversation behind me just made me want to bash my head into the window.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #129 of 198

Quote:
Well, I decided to return mine today. Sitting on the bus and having to set the volume to max, and still hearing every word in the conversation behind me just made me want to bash my head into the window.

For the kind of isolation you need, an HD25-1 II would likely suit you better if you are trying to avoid earbuds/earphones - the HD25-1 II have great isolation.  

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #130 of 198
Porta Pros offer a lifetime warranty, have stood the test of time (circa 1984) and they ain,t garbage.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #133 of 198

Quote:
Quote:
Unequalized, IMO, they sound better than the DT 150s, either equalized or not.

Please elaborate.

I actually returned mine to the store, but IIRC, I thought the Aviators sounded better balanced than the DT 150s unequalized, as well as equalized (i.e., with Treble Booster in iTunes).  The DT 150s were able to sound both bloated and hollow at the same time unequalized, and while Treble Booster cleaned them up a lot, I would've preferred a little more warmth. I returned the Aviators because they're decent headphones, but they get kicked in the pants by my D5000s, and I don't need three or four pairs of headphones.  Unequalized, I was looking for a bit more bass with the Aviators, and equalized (Bass Booster), they had too much.

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #135 of 198

Quote:
Is it just me or are the Aviators trying to look more expensive than what they really are? I mean they do look lovely, but it sounds like a case of Toyota trying to look like a Rolls Royce.

And we're back at the branding of Skullcandy, which I think is their biggest problem at this point. On the other hand, we've got the calm and collected sure-shot headphones from pretty much all the bigger Hi-Fi brands like Sennheiser and Shure (car equilevants would be Mercedes Benz, Audi, Aston Martin..), and then there's this new kid on the block trying to challenge the big boys, but is being held back by the brand name and branding (the car equilevant to Skullcandy would be the Pimpmaster 5000). And honestly, the brand in itself is such a huge turn-off that they'd really have to bring miracles to the table to pull off this 'rebranding' of sorts. Have they pulled off miracles, what's the word on the street (luckily there are people there who are way more qualified than me to judge this, as it seem)?

Bear in mind I'm a trendy 20-something year old who wears purple sparkling pants occasionally for giggles, and Skullcandy as a brand name and the logo are HUGE turn-offs even for me. I'll take the Mercedes-Benz over the Pimpmaster 5000 any day, call me old and boring if you must.

Wow, you  are much younger than my youngest son...Anyway, I would not call your preference old or boring but rather you do have class.... Keep it up young man. Stay above the crowd and you will differentiate yourself  from the norm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back