CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Jan 9, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #198 of 702
Not having that problem with Meridian. Sorry I'll try and research to help you. I put back my Oppo 105 set up as a Dac only no problem and the rate is constantly changing from song to song.

Thanks. I've reverted to a Mojo; no such issues with that I'm pleased to report.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #201 of 702
Interesting post above [@=/u/65761/Currawong]@Currawong[/@] - I'm just listening to the 24/96 versions of the tracks and there seems to be a decent improvement, particularly in the drums. I'm interested to hear what the file would sound like fully "unfolded".

Agreed. A few I'm familiar with, such as The Doors' albums sound great, but then I know those albums were well-made to begin with. At some point I'm thinking of level-matching, then A/B'ing my CD rips or HDTracks masters (depending what I have) versus the TIDAL Master versions with their decoding. Also, since a lot of people seem to be very confused by MQA, I might make a video about it, including my opinions.

Looking forward to that video. I use the Chord Mojo as a desktop DAC and so far do like the MQA albums on Tidal hifi.
Is it worth considering the Meridian Explorer 2 which has full MQA decoding or will Mojo still sound better. Just asking for your opinion ASSUMING [ if you had to choose one DAC only and all you listen to is MQA via TIDAL].

Thank you, Soundizer

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #202 of 702
  Am I getting any benefit from Masters if my DAC is only 16bit 48khz?

In theory, it won't be able to play or it will downscale.  But what DAC is only 16/48?  I have a vintage R2R DAC from 1992 that can do 24/88...

If you're asking whather you'll get any benefit if your DAC can't decode MQA, the answer is yet, assuming your DAC can do 24/96, which most DACs I'm aware of can.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #204 of 702
I'm using a 2012 Mini and my DACs reading whatever I have the outputs set to in Audio Midi. Using the latest Tidal app, how can I get it to output bitperfect?

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #205 of 702
Just signed up for free trial again and tried with my Mojo/SE846's and to my ears the 24/88 track streamed sounds identical to Hi-Def track I already have of the same piece. Certainly makes Tidal much more interesting to me now, especially as reduced price at £16.99 if sign up for 6 months (cheaper now than me paying in US$ to UK£ with exchange rate).

To my ears I didn't think paying double for Tidal HiFi was justified for me compared to Spotify Extreme but this Master quality makes it much more appealing. Do still prefer Spotify software/system.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #206 of 702
I got a drop-out about an hour into listening...not sure what caused it but has anyone else experienced the same?

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #207 of 702

In theory, it won't be able to play or it will downscale.  But what DAC is only 16/48?  I have a vintage R2R DAC from 1992 that can do 24/88...

If you're asking whather you'll get any benefit if your DAC can't decode MQA, the answer is yet, assuming your DAC can do 24/96, which most DACs I'm aware of can.

Thanks for reply. I recently downgraded my DAC from an expensive one to a Behringer UCA202.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #209 of 702
  I got a drop-out about an hour into listening...not sure what caused it but has anyone else experienced the same?

I had problems getting Led Zeppeling IV and Houses of the Holy MQAs to play yesterday.  First track started, then "paused" to buffer (I assume) and eventually started back up, only to pause again.  I tested the HIFI versions and they played fine straight away.  I rebooted, same problem.  Guessing their server might have been under some heavy load, I gave it a rest and tried again 30 minutes or so later.  Both played without interruption.  Could've been my router or ISP.  Tough to say, but my bet is server load.

FWIW, I had just finished listening to Led Zeppelin III MQA, which played fine.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #210 of 702

I had dropouts on several albums I listened to last night.  I first thought it was my 6 year old laptop but now maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back