Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Dec 3, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #721 of 1,140
Under the "Story" section of the Indiegogo page, it still says that the retail price will be $499. For several weeks, the CEntrance online store has had these listed for $399, and the CEntrance site has listed them as "In Stock" during that whole time

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #724 of 1,140
Have been a loyal customer of Centrance products, have hifi-m8, dac mini, dac port, have at numerous times recommended their products to others, but what they have done now with their HiFI Skyn is a fiasco is beyond imagination,  I should have learned my lessons with the delays I had with dac mini and hifi-m8, I assumed they would have learned to fine tune their skills on apple certifications. 

The whole execution of HiFi Skyn crowdfunding was a joke, they have run into countless delays, now in order to recoup their loses they are trying to fleece their loyal customer again by claiming they had not included shipping cost, plus they expect everybody to now pay additional $100 to upgrade to amp extreme, this is really unpardonable conduct on the part of Centrance to treat their loyal customers in such manner.

I had already prepaid for extreme, I am only expected to pony up additional $20, I feel sorry for the folks are now being forced to pay extra for what was clearly poor judgement and execution on Centrance part, I have never previously written an unfavourable review, but this incident really made me take a stand and call out this mistreatment of customers.

See here for all the details, I am so disillusioned with these guys, that I dont mind taking a refund and waking away from this whole sorry episode, mostly likely I will not respond to any comments on this post, I just wanted to make the headfi community take notice of this episode.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hifi-skyn-iphone-case-made-for-music#/comments

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #725 of 1,140
We are sorry about your negative experience. Sadly, delays are a fact of life with complex crowdfunding campaigns. We have explained this a number of times and apologized to customers. Misunderstandings about perks and features have also been sufficiently clarified in the campaign, but we will explain our position again.

The good news is that the HiFi-Skyn campaign has entered fulfillment last week. We have sent out about 10% of orders and will continue to send them out in the coming days.

We know that some customers got upset and we have already processed refunds for those who cannot wait any longer. Naturally, there are many lessons to learn here for all future campaigns. Delays are not welcome by anyone.

Yet, on the bright side, the final product is totally worth it as the customers are starting to report.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #726 of 1,140
Hope you will be processing my refund soon then! I like aleman have been shocked by this, and cannot believe that you are making your customers pay for production changes. Surely this is something a reasonable company would swallow as 'a lesson to be learned'.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #727 of 1,140
We are also shocked at the misunderstanding. Not our preferred way to do business. We would like to find a way to accommodate our customers. We will email you individually about solutions.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #728 of 1,140
Michael,
Having not read every post on here, other forums, Indiegogo, etc....I may have missed it, but I have a question:
How is this a "misunderstanding"?  You clearly offered the Amp Extreme as an option for $79 in the campaign, while the Super Amp was clearly identified as "Standard".  
It looks like a flat-out change in terms and not a misunderstanding to me.
Also, I don't see any activity at all from you in the last 10 days in response to the many many questions on the Indiegogo campaign page. Is e-mailing everyone individually really a better option than answering common questions on the forum where the product was offered?
Count me as one who would like to discuss solutions.
Thanks,
Jeff

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #731 of 1,140
  I had long ago paid for the Amp Extreme, but good on you CEntrance for not forcing Super Amp customers to pay for the upgrade.

Yes, the latest update is congruent with what I have experienced with Centrance in the past. Which has been positive.

Well done Centrance! 

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #732 of 1,140
Process my refund as well. I was a huge fan of your company not too long ago but I think your campaigns on Indiegogo and Massdrop have done a lot of damage to your brand.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #733 of 1,140
After lurking on Head-Fi for years, I created this account just to be able to PM markodarko, the user who initially identified many of the problems with what we've been told about the Skyn, all the way back in February. I never heard back from him, and I was willing to wait, but...anybody who is surprised that we ended up here should read his last comment before requesting a refund:

In particular, nobody should forget this reasoning:

3) Your error was forgetting about (1). You no longer thought of this as a launch pad for the retail version. You got greedy. You saw the hundreds of extra potential sales and realised "hold on a minute, this is quite a niche market. If we've sold 500 units or so at COST to the campaigners, who are we going to sell the retail versions to?". So...

4) You tried to get us all to pay $79 for the once promised Super Amp upgrade, but I was a right pain in the arse and forced your hand to stick to your promise, so...

5) You had to come up with another plan to get profit from the 500 (or whatever the number is) or so contributors, which is when you came up with the idea of the "Amp Extreme" for $79.

At the time, Mr. Goodman, you responded to markodarko like so:

Thank you for stating your opinion. And it's just that, of course. Refund processed. Be happy.

in your reply.

It wasn't just an opinion, Mr. Goodman. You tried it again on all of us who hung in. This is my second and last CEntrance product, as well as my last crowdfunding contribution to anybody, because you keep claiming everything is just a "misunderstanding" and always blame other people. Test labs didn't make you try to charge everyone the extra $79 one more time (which is NOT how stretch goals work, in any case), Apple didn't make you tell us all you had a fully ready-to-go design that just needed $12k worth of production tooling. As you wrote in the Indiegogo campaign, "As of today, we have fully functional samples and design is ready for production." The first half of that statement might have been true, given that you showed at CES a month later, but in no sense were you "ready for production" at that time. Chinese customs didn't say that for you, no matter how many times you've blamed them.

As for why I will return to lurking, this is what markodarko got for his trouble:

ya know, markdodarko should be eternally grateful to Michael G for a refund.  
there are plenty of other campaigns that follow the IGG Policy of "No Refunds" to the letter, so the fact that MG let this guy off the hook instead of "forcing" him into spending for a great sounding audio device is beyond "customer service".

CEntrance has had plenty of enablers along the way. I'd love to know how many of my fellow Skyn buyers feel "eternally grateful" for receiving something "beyond 'customer service'."

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #734 of 1,140
 Yes, the latest update is congruent with what I have experienced with Centrance in the past. Which has been positive.

So the last 9 months of updates are either positive, or don't count? This is what Indiegogo has to say about what happens when you post a perk as a campaign owner:

Campaign Owners are legally bound to perform on any promise and/or commitment to Contributors (including delivering any Perks).

That can't plausibly be read as, "Campaign owners get to dishonor their commitment unless you cough up $79 more at delivery time." I happen to believe the further shipping cost add-on is partially plausible because of a statement in their original FAQ, but as stated, it clearly only applies to purchasers living outside the USA.

Backing off of something that might have gotten CEntrance banned from Indiegogo isn't what I'd call a "positive" experience. Seeing as I paid $174 last December, before any discussion of "Amp Extreme" took place, I don't see where there's any call to be mocking an irrational "angry mob" composed of those of us who agreed to pay for the legally binding commitment to ship a Skyn at the early price. Show me another campaign by someone reputable where a stretch goal turns into a mandatory surcharge.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #735 of 1,140
After all the heartache and frustration caused, the product is still not ready.
Centrance promised the product for every one by Christmas but looks like that is not happening.
It might not happen in January too because of Christmas and new year.

How did this company manage to go on to cover of stereophile magazine?
Blaming customs again after all this? So amateur
They should ask for $ 5 or 10 contributions on their campaign website to send someone to China.
Looks like they will keep coming up with some excuse to kill every ounce of joy/expectation left in customers who payed 12 months in advance for something which(I will not be surprised) might sell on massdrop for less than what they have paid with free shipping.
I'm worried about my blood pressure after reading their updates.
They write like they have all the time in world( like "more on it next week")
Never, never again will look at IGG campaigns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back