CEntrance DACport HD
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #226 of 277
  Yep, an awesome deal @ $109.  I've had it for about a week now.  Great form factor for portability.  Did you need to do any special driver uninstall/install on win10?

I installed the driver from their site.  

Here's the link.  http://www.centrance.com/downloads/

Click on the universal driver and you'll fill out a form.  They'll email you a link to the driver.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #227 of 277
Did you uninstall the old drivers first?  I'm just running off memory and I think I read something about uninstall, reboot, update drivers, (not sure if it needs a 2nd reboot).  I have not hooked this up to my win10 machine yet, but it works perfect with my macbook and iDevices.

I figured it out. You must run at 192kHz and 32bit or lower. 384kHz has issues with Windows programs. 192kHz is way more than enough though - 48kHz should be sufficient for everything tbh..

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #228 of 277
It's a very underrated device, and the price that it can be found for these days makes it a steal.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #229 of 277
$109 seems like a steal for the HD.  Only $10 more than it's little brother the slim.

On the other hand, rip resale value haha.  I was thinking of switching to a schiity desktop setup since I only use my DACport at my desk anyway.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #230 of 277
  $109 seems like a steal for the HD.  Only $10 more than it's little brother the slim.

On the other hand, rip resale value haha.  I was thinking of switching to a schiity desktop setup since I only use my DACport at my desk anyway.

Why sell it? It's tiny, well-made, and works flawlessly (for me, at least). It's a good back-up even if it doesn't keep up with future tech advances.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #231 of 277

Why sell it? It's tiny, well-made, and works flawlessly (for me, at least). It's a good back-up even if it doesn't keep up with future tech advances.

I am pretty much only using mine at my desktop, so the dongle form factor(while useable, obviously) isn't much of a benefit to me.  For me, the main issue with the HD and the Slim are the rather high noise floors.  Plugging in sensitive IEMs like the KZ ED9 or even something like the Piston 3 results in a noticeable hiss.  Otherwise the device is quite excellent - I have no issues powering my HD 6XX or my T50RP MK3.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #232 of 277
Need some help with my HD.  Trying to run Tidal in exclusive mode and it won't allow it. I get this message when I select CEntrance HD with exclusive mode enabled in Tidal.   
"TIDAL requires you to set your system sound settings in Control Panel to "16bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)" in order to play tracks correctly."

Problem is I have it set to 16 bit 44100 Hz in the windows sound setting.  This is trying the new MQA playback on tidal which sends everything 24bit 96Khz PCM when the dac doesn't support MQA.

When I go to windows sound settings for the HD I noticed there isn't an option for 24bit audio only 16 and 32.  Does the HD support 24bit?  If so should I see 24bit as a choice?  

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #233 of 277
No one uses the HD with Tidal?  I'm almost 100% sure that the HD doesn't support 24 bit-depth files.  Even in Foobar2000 it plays everything in 32-bit.  I know the specs say supports 24 bit files but I don't believe this is the case because there's no option in Windows sound settings for 24 bit playback.  Can someone confirm this?

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #234 of 277
  No one uses the HD with Tidal?  I'm almost 100% sure that the HD doesn't support 24 bit-depth files.  Even in Foobar2000 it plays everything in 32-bit.  I know the specs say supports 24 bit files but I don't believe this is the case because there's no option in Windows sound settings for 24 bit playback.  Can someone confirm this?

Here is a side question - are you sure that tidal is 24 bit?  According to this their FLACs are 16bit
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201594722-How-good-is-the-sound-quality-on-TIDAL-
nm- i see you are trying MQA.  I don't even have that as an option??  I pay for HiFi.

Now that said, I use a mac and here is what it is giving me:

Should you always max them out?  Or is that similar to upconversion?  I'd rather hear it native.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #235 of 277
  Here is a side question - are you sure that tidal is 24 bit?  According to this their FLACs are 16bit
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201594722-How-good-is-the-sound-quality-on-TIDAL-
nm- i see you are trying MQA.  I don't even have that as an option??  I pay for HiFi.

Now that said, I use a mac and here is what it is giving me:

Should you always max them out?  Or is that similar to upconversion?  I'd rather hear it native.

To be honest I know nothing about Mac's so I can't answer your question.  However I did notice you don't have an option for 24 bit integer.  Weird because the specs for the HD state it supports 24 bit.  I'm almost positive this is my problem with the way Tidal handles DACs that don't support MQA.  

I don't believe Tidal has deployed MQA for the Mac yet.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #236 of 277
more interesting screenshots...this is my built in speakers on mac!!!  What

well technically its the built in dac right.  so what gives with the centrance??  whats the dif between 32bit integer (hd) and float (mac)?  i wonder if this is some sort of driver issue.  do you have any other dac?  Here is my fiio q1

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #237 of 277
  more interesting screenshots...this is my built in speakers on mac!!!  What

well technically its the built in dac right.  so what gives with the centrance??  whats the dif between 32bit integer (hd) and float (mac)?  i wonder if this is some sort of driver issue.  do you have any other dac?  Here is my fiio q1

Yes I have quite a few others that work perfectly fine.  Funny thing is the Schiit Fulla 2 uses the same dac chip and works fine with MQA.  However it doesn't require drivers and supports 24bit/96Khz.  

Normal Hifi in Tidal is 16bit 44100hz.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #238 of 277
  To be honest I know nothing about Mac's so I can't answer your question.  However I did notice you don't have an option for 24 bit integer.  Weird because the specs for the HD state it supports 24 bit.  I'm almost positive this is my problem with the way Tidal handles DACs that don't support MQA.  

I don't believe Tidal has deployed MQA for the Mac yet.

I just downloaded the app and it looks like MQA is available for me.  Did you set passthru up?  I bet this is why you're having an issue.  I am guessing it needs to be unchecked.  I will do some testing later this evening....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back