CEntrance DACport HD
Sep 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #196 of 277
  Hey Sheldaze, any long-term testing notes on the pairing of the dacport HD and the AKG K7XX? I just picked up these cans and would like to get a portable DAC for my Microsoft Surface 3.

Thanks!

I've used the DACport HD with my K7xx.  You can't go to far wrong with a Asahi Kasei AK4490 DAC chip (the same DAC chip is utilized on the new Schiit Bitfrost, recently released TEAC UD-503, Grace m9XX, and Astell & Kern AK380 - among many others)..  The DACport HD handles pretty much everything I have thrown at it and handles them well.

Bear in mind that the Amp in the HD is Direct Class-A (no caps in the signal path) so it runs hot and requires a lot of energy even at idle, so not the best for a battery powered device.  I use it when listening to music, and unplug when not.

I have also used a Meridian Explorer with my K7xx and it too does an excellent job and runs a lot cooler.  It also has LEDs that show the bit rate of files being played.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #197 of 277
Has anyone used this with sensitive IEMs?

Any noticeable hiss? A complaint people had a while ago with the DACport Slim is that it has a high noise floor.

Also, anyone using the DACport HD as a line out device?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #198 of 277

Any noticeable hiss? A complaint people had a while ago with the DACport Slim is that it has a high noise floor.

Thanks in advance.

One of the issues with line out on the DACport HD is the instructions were made for the DACport Slim. The amplifier in the HD is stronger (higher volume) than the Slim. Thus I was never able to get accurate line out level at either high or low gain, per the instruction to set the volume as maximum. Though the sound was clean.

I do not have IEM. I read, during the development, that an upgraded amplifier was utilized in the HD. I may be recalling incorrectly, but I think it had both lower noise floor and higher volume output. But you'd best read an impression from someone who has listened to it with IEM. Perhaps you can ask in this thread, where the Slim and HD were compared:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/819477/canjam-london-2016-experience-and-multi-product-reviews

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #199 of 277

Thanks in advance.

I just tried my Centrance DACPort HD with DUNU 2000J that are very sensitive IEMs and I can confirm that the hiss is noticeable on high gain.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #201 of 277
How does DACport HD/Slim sound compared to Schiit Fulla? Especially in terms of soundstage and neutrality (I saw some said DACport HD/Slim is bit bright in previous posts)?

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #202 of 277
How does DACport HD/Slim sound compared to Schiit Fulla? Especially in terms of soundstage and neutrality (I saw some said DACport HD/Slim is bit bright in previous posts)?

The DACport should be CEntrance's signature sound: dead neutral...

I've seen posts talking about it being bright, and I've seen equal amounts (maybe even a bit more?) of posts saying its warm...

It's literally as neutral as it can get.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #203 of 277
I've seen posts talking about it being bright, and I've seen equal amounts (maybe even a bit more?) of posts saying its warm...

It's literally as neutral as it can get.

And the other thing I noticed is many in the thread mentioned that DACport Slim/HD has a smaller sound stage. Any idea about that? When I was reading the Schiit Fulla thread many said Fulla has a large sound stage and many other pluses.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #205 of 277

And the other thing I noticed is many in the thread mentioned that DACport Slim/HD has a smaller sound stage. Any idea about that? When I was reading the Schiit Fulla thread many said Fulla has a large sound stage and many other pluses.

I've never heard the Fulla so I won't speculate. Sorry. :frowning2: I know the Fulla has a few issues, but it's better for you to look it up yourself and decide. I'll basically be parroting things I don't actually know about and perhaps even colour the feedback by others.

what is the maximum impedance for which it can give good power?

The DACport Slim has these power measurements according to CEntrance:

Output power (preliminary):
16Ω: 250mW max, per channel
32Ω: 225mW max, per channel
300Ω: 52mW, max, per channel
Jitter: Below 1ps.

They posted this on the first few pages of the Massdrop discussion. Kind of hard to find due to Massdrop's terrible new layout.

If so and the device is able to maintain the same voltage (I have not read anything that confirms or refutes this so I'll give it the benefit of doubt), at 600 ohms, you should get a little under 30mW.

This is based on the Slim's 450mW power output. The DACport HD has a total power output of 775mW, but we don't have the full specs. Assuming that it follows the Slim (hard to say it will, but hard to say it won't either. You need confirmation from CEntrance), take the headphones of your choice and see how loud the Slim will drive it. Add a little less than 3db and that will probably be the DACport HD's loudness. Due to the digital volume control, noise stays the same and everything stays very clean all the way up.

For almost all the popular headphones that I know of, this should be enough.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #209 of 277
why doesn't it matter?

Mainly because you can find the same chip in very high end dacs, as well as cheaper dacs with questionable design that can easily mess with the sound. :frowning2:

The implementation is the key, and knowing how it sounds and how it amplifies the signal should be given much greater priority over the dac chip used.

That's not too say it's not important. Newer dacs can have amazing features, but again, it's up to the implementation. There are cheaper and more expensive dac/amp combos that take advantage of these features, such as the digital filters the chip offers. The DACport does not even though it has the same chip. However, but you might want to sacrifice those features for the sound. Or you might find the features better for your taste. All in all, what you get is not up to the chip to decide, but the guys who made it. :wink:

Again, if you are interested and want to look into it more, the chip is the AK4490. I trust CEntrance did it justice with the DACport Slim/HD, and their amp doesn't color the sound at all, so it's a very transparent signature.

Cheers! ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back