CEntrance DACport HD
Sep 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #91 of 277
I forgot to check DSD. Uh-oh…I like this 
biggrin.gif

I say uh-oh because everything I own, other than these 3 sample songs I just downloaded, is in PCM format. I hope I don't become a DSD advocate because that would mean I need to buy more stuff 
beyersmile.png

NOTE: I did have to force Audirvana+ to recognize the DAC as capable of DSD64. Because I don't have many DSD-capable of DAC, I have no clue how common an issues that is. I should also note I'm running OS X release 10.7.5, which is a very old release.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #92 of 277
I'm a total newbie (this is my first-ever post), but I just got mine in the mail today, and my first impression is very positive. As previously stated on this thread, there's lots of detail, but it's not fatiguing. I'm using a ZMF Master Model V1, and it sounds terrific. High gain is perfect for them. I've also given it a quick try as a line out to my stereo system (low gain with the volume at max), and that sounded very crisp and detailed. 

If anyone's wondering about use with iOS devices, I tried Hifiguy528's trick that he used for the Apogee Groove and it worked right away with both my iPhone 5s and my iPad Mini 2. More details on that can be found here at the 3:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDFE2LkjJ4

That may seem unwieldy for a mobile setup, but you get used to it pretty quickly, especially if you use that tiny little hub. The Dacport instructions recommend against using a USB hub, but oh well...

So far so good! 

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #93 of 277
  I'm a total newbie (this is my first-ever post), but I just got mine in the mail today, and my first impression is very positive. As previously stated on this thread, there's lots of detail, but it's not fatiguing. I'm using a ZMF Master Model V1, and it sounds terrific. High gain is perfect for them. I've also given it a quick try as a line out to my stereo system (low gain with the volume at max), and that sounded very crisp and detailed. 

If anyone's wondering about use with iOS devices, I tried Hifiguy528's trick that he used for the Apogee Groove and it worked right away with both my iPhone 5s and my iPad Mini 2. More details on that can be found here at the 3:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDFE2LkjJ4

That may seem unwieldy for a mobile setup, but you get used to it pretty quickly, especially if you use that tiny little hub. The Dacport instructions recommend against using a USB hub, but oh well...

So far so good! 

Welcome!

Glad you like the sound! I certainly wish I had something like the CEntrance for my entry into the HiFi headphone world. My entry into the headphone world started 10 years ago with the purchase of a Sennheiser HD650. But I did not hear anything good until just last year, when I plugged those headphones into my first USB DAC/AMP, and my eyes just about popped out.

Per the USB hub, I have it on good authority directly from Mr. Goodman that is how he recommends usage from an iDevice - through a powered hub. I wonder why the manual recommends against it?

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #94 of 277
  Per the USB hub, I have it on good authority directly from Mr. Goodman that is how he recommends usage from an iDevice - through a powered hub. I wonder why the manual recommends against it?

The statement in the manual is more of a generic USB hub disclaimer, certainly appropriate for PC or Mac use, but there just isn't any other way to connect DACport HD to an iDevice except by using Apple CCK and a powered (or an incorrectly reporting passive) hub.

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #95 of 277
Hi all,
I just received yesterday my Dacport HD ... and I don't get it to work on my win7 desktop (I've tried the unit on a friend's Mac, works great).
As I can see it's a driver's digital signature problem ... anyone help me !

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #96 of 277
  Hi all,
I just received yesterday my Dacport HD ... and I don't get it to work on my win7 desktop (I've tried the unit on a friend's Mac, works great).

There is a setting in Windows which controls driver installation behavior, it can be changed as long as your computer is not under control of a corporate policy.  There is more information available at Microsoft: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775492(v=ws.10).aspx or https://thecustomizewindows.com/2010/12/install-an-unsigned-driver-in-windows-7/.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #97 of 277
  Hi all,

Michael Goodman has sent an email that there will be a new version of the Universal Driver published on their homepage today. You should also try this new Driver.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #99 of 277
  Thanks guys, I'll try this.

Milhouse, I cannot find the way of doing it in the security settings :frowning2:

You need to have Administrator rights if You want to install the driver.  That is the frist Thing You should check.
After the Installation process You shold see the Dacport in System preferences / hardware and Sound / manage Audio. There You can set it as "Default"  ( Ihope I use the correct terms as I have a german Windows Version)

Also - if You cannot get it to work, You could contact Michael Goodman from Centrance (for example via Indiegogo)

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #100 of 277
  I cannot find the way of doing it in the security settings :frowning2:

Try this:
Press Windows key + R
In the Run prompt, type "gpedit.msc"
Once Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Driver Installation.
Choose "Code signing for device drivers"
Make sure it is set to "Warn" ("Ignore" is not a good idea, "Block" will prevent you from installation).

You will need to restart the computer after this change.

Upcoming driver update will not solve this, as it is unlikely to be WHQL-signed.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #101 of 277
I've tried this but it seems that those changes are for 
"Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000 only"

Anyway, it didn't solve my problem even after reboot.

Mr Goodman just sent me an email saying that I need to update my OS with the latest microsoft updates in order to get the WHQL signature, I'll do this tonight.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed :)

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #102 of 277
  I've tried this but it seems that those changes are for 
"Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000 only"

Anyway, it didn't solve my problem even after reboot.

The other option is to edit boot environment to allow unsigned drivers:

From administrator command prompt:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Also requires a reboot to take effect.

But running through all the updates first is a good idea anyhow :wink:

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #103 of 277
When I open the UD control panel I see no ability to change bit depth. Also, if I change the rate to anything under 384,000 and I change the sound frequency in the regular control panel, I never get sound but only errors that the rate isn't supported. Is anyone else having these problems?  I'm also hearing what appears to be amlight hashing in the background of some more dynamic passages. Anyone else?

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #104 of 277
When I open the UD control panel I see no ability to change bit depth. Also, if I change the rate to anything under 384,000 and I change the sound frequency in the regular control panel, I never get sound but only errors that the rate isn't supported. Is anyone else having these problems?  I'm also hearing what appears to be amlight hashing in the background of some more dynamic passages. Anyone else?

I believe the drivers by default assign 384k to Windows native sound device, and the expectation is that only ASIO applications will manipulate bitrate (as long as that checkbox is available). In my case, I could only set the bitrate in the UD control panel, and in Windows sound device, the option to change bitrate was greyed out. That was on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Perhaps on other OS versions the behavior is different - but I'm waiting for the updated drivers (with DSD support) before installing them on my other computers.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #105 of 277
Does it matter that I would be testing this functionality on Windows 10 devices? I no longer have any Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices, which have all been updated to Windows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back