CEntrance DACport HD
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #121 of 277
With an updated Windows driver, there is a new option to set bit depth via the control panel - I believe that's what does the trick for DSD playback.

Foobar2000 now plays native DSD via ASIO proxy, with Centrance ASIO driver forced to DoP (DSD over PCM) mode.  Not the most elegant solution, but it works.  It does result in some clicks at the start of the stream and when the stream is terminated.

The DAC in this device definitely sounds quite well for this price category.  To me there is a tendency towards neutral-bright signature, somewhere south of Sabre, but north of BurrBrown/TI devices.  The jury is still out on the amp capabilities.

Would be interesting to see official specs or measurements from the device when it is utilized in the recommended "line out" mode - e.g. into very high impedance load (levels, distortions, noise etc.).  I don't believe it swings up to typical 2V at 0dB.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #122 of 277
  I don't think you can upsample to DSD - sounds fishy to me.

It is possible with some of the software players - such as Onkyo HF - but it eats through the device's battery much faster.  As far as the benefits of doing so - it really depends on the DAC and its PCM vs DSD capabilities / signature.  Technically, any PCM to DSD conversion is lossy.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #123 of 277
  I haven't tried DSD yet. I haven't A/Bd it yet with my Fiio E17, but my early impression is that it doesn't sound much better. It can handle a wider range of bit rate/depths, but sonically it seems to be in the same ballpark. I downloaded a couple of free DSD sample tracks, which I'll try later just to see what the fuss is about. I'll also try full-size cans, too - haven't gone there yet. I've used my Aurisonic Rockets and UM Miracles so far. I'm quite satisfied with the sound for its price point, but I'm not blown away. I have to get myself a mini-usb to mini-usb to see if it will work with my S5 - that could be fun. Anyways, I'm glad it arrived and works as advertised. I look forward to everybody else's impressions in the near future.

I agree! I like that regardless of if I'm playing 16-bit/44.1kHz or something higher resolution or DSD, the quality of the sound remains quite good. I've not yet tried MP3, but based on other people's impressions, seems it does well there too. I'll need to try watching YouTube and Podcasts through this to tell.

I don't think you can upsample to DSD - sounds fishy to me. It's fairly cheap, very pocketable, and plays a slew of formats reasonably well, so it's a good product even though it doesn't blow me away. I've yet to try it with full-size cans, so that may change.

You actually can. I've read about it with regards to using something like a Schiit Loki to do everything. But I've also read that is takes a lot of computing power. Seems the same is true of going in reverse, converting from DSD back to PCM. My old Mac laptop could not keep up, at which point I realized I was not natively playing the DSD. I was able to switch in the Audirvana+ playback to DSD natively.

With an updated Windows driver, there is a new option to set bit depth via the control panel - I believe that's what does the trick for DSD playback.

Foobar2000 now plays native DSD via ASIO proxy, with Centrance ASIO driver forced to DoP (DSD over PCM) mode.  Not the most elegant solution, but it works.  It does result in some clicks at the start of the stream and when the stream is terminated.

The DAC in this device definitely sounds quite well for this price category.  To me there is a tendency towards neutral-bright signature, somewhere south of Sabre, but north of BurrBrown/TI devices.  The jury is still out on the amp capabilities.

Would be interesting to see official specs or measurements from the device when it is utilized in the recommended "line out" mode - e.g. into very high impedance load (levels, distortions, noise etc.).  I don't believe it swings up to typical 2V at 0dB.

Agree with this too. I still find the Sabre too bright. The only implementation that I like of the Sabre is in my Pono player, but it does some things a little differently. So I think it is a unique case.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #124 of 277

Thanks for the solution. THE SOUND IS JUST SO GREAT!!! Even my MP3 sounds good.

Glad you like the sound!

i notice that the DACPort HD runs hotter when it is decoding DSD and cooler when normal FLAC.

I suppose I'll have to buy some DSD and give this a shot. I have only a few free samples. What store do you use?

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #127 of 277

You can pick up a few samples here: http://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads
They also offer quite a number of albums for sale.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #129 of 277
Really itching to plug this in behind Wyrd. Most USB-powered devices seem to benefit from it, this one should not be an exception - particularly considering the current this little thing draws from USB. Definitely will try that tonight.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #130 of 277
Really itching to plug this in behind Wyrd. Most USB-powered devices seem to benefit from it, this one should not be an exception - particularly considering the current this little thing draws from USB. Definitely will try that tonight.

Let us know! The headphone I have with the highest impedance is the Sennheiser HD650. It does not draw a lot of current, but it definitely benefits from good voltage swing. I have been happiest thus far on the Schiit Fulla (was the first thing I used with it) and Apogee Groove. Neither of these has an excelled DAC, which is why I would be interested to see what you think! I have not tried it as yet on the CEntrance.

And the Schiit Wyrd is exactly what I'm planning to bring to my next local headphone meet. I'll have my assortment of USB DAC/AMP, the Wyrd for power, and both iDevice and mini-USB versions of a CCK cable. So people can plug in with their own phone (or iPod/iPad) and play directly into the various DAC/AMP boxes. Let them hear for themselves the differences. I think it'll be fun
redface.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #131 of 277

Let us know! The headphone I have with the highest impedance is the Sennheiser HD650. It does not draw a lot of current, but it definitely benefits from good voltage swing. I have been happiest thus far on the Schiit Fulla (was the first thing I used with it) and Apogee Groove. Neither of these has an excelled DAC, which is why I would be interested to see what you think! I have not tried it as yet on the CEntrance.

And the Schiit Wyrd is exactly what I'm planning to bring to my next local headphone meet. I'll have my assortment of USB DAC/AMP, the Wyrd for power, and both iDevice and mini-USB versions of a CCK cable. So people can plug in with their own phone (or iPod/iPad) and play directly into the various DAC/AMP boxes. Let them hear for themselves the differences. I think it'll be fun
redface.gif

I own Senn's HD600, a very similar load to HD650's, just not as...  (ok, better keep that description to myself).  I think that the old Sennheiser flagships will be a good match for this little unit - they are not particularly demanding.  I do have every intention of trying out beyer T1 with CEntrance, for a 600-ohm unit they are extremely sensitive, but with inadequate drive tend to become sibilant, so my expectations for that pairing are quite low.

Wyrd + CCK combo is a great way to plug in just about any DAC to an iDevice with very predictable results - much easier than dealing with ASIO and custom drivers.  Now, if only Androids had as consistent USB audio interface as iDevices, that would have been perfect.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #132 of 277
Interesting, Schiit just announced a new revision of Bitfrost, which will now be based on the same DAC as DACport HD, AK4490.  The new TEAC UD-503 is also based on AK4490 - this DAC is becoming very popular in the industry.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #133 of 277
  Interesting, Schiit just announced a new revision of Bitfrost, which will now be based on the same DAC as DACport HD, AK4490.  The new TEAC UD-503 is also based on AK4490 - this DAC is becoming very popular in the industry.

I'm #4 in the queue for Multibit
tongue.gif

But yes! It is a fantastic offering for the price. What used to be $230 of upgrades (selectable by the user) is now discounted to a standard $100 upgrade, plus the new DAC processor!

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #134 of 277
I have had some more time with the DPHD to give some impressions.  I have only tried it only through my Oppo's which are good all around headphones and not as power hungry as other planars.  I have not listened to any of my DSDs yet.  I do agree that the sound is about in the ballpark of the FIIO offerings with a tendency towards brightness and good detail.  I have a/b'ed against a Ressonessence Herus and FIIO E18.  The Herus does win handily in most areas, however it is double the price.  For some reason there are some driver issues with the DPHD (such as hash noise when used as a system device unless using Jriver output directly to the DPHD, having to reboot my computer if I switch the audio output from the DPHD and try to switch it back, general instability with the DPHD as a system device) which is unfortunate but I hope it is rectified in the future with the new drivers.  I can still hear the DPHD struggling through the PM2's in bassier passages but for the $150 Massdrop price tag I think it's a very worthwhile unit and easy to travel with.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back