CEntrance BlueDAC - Anyone aware?
Apr 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

tas236

Head-Fier
I haven't seen any discussion of the new BlueDAC which is now open for pre-order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rcX2_YkAdE&feature=share

As a current HiFi-M8 owner I am tempted to get in on the pre-order. Haven't seen any activity here. Anybody have thoughts?

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 94
I've learned about the BlueDac project only recently (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluedac-make-your-headphones-wireless-audio#/). I think it's a very promising and interesting thing as the BlueDac incorporates many really useful features. Really, with the marketing fuss all over the place today (IMO), such words as "revolutionize", "unique", "unprecedented", etc. have become so threadbare and trite. The Centrance, on the other hand, have an open approach and say what they are doing and what for. All in all, we have a cool portable DAC-AMP, which offers USB and Bluetooth connectivity, has a modern AKM 4490 DAC, which supports up to 32 bit 384 kHz PCM and up to DSD 128 input from a smartphone or a tablet PC. With that, Centrance does not seem to claim they are turning the world upside down with their new product, they just pack the essential features into a compact case AND MAKE IT WORK:) I personally like the use of "triple-filtered ±9V power supply rails" for a healthy power supply, which, as far as I know, is beneficial both for the DAC chip and the AMP supply, which is something more palpable than some super secret design or just a bunch of super high-quality components (IMO).
With the announcement of the BlueDAC, I'm getting more open to the idea of using a DAC-AMP with a smartphone...

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 94
Thank you for your interest. This product is definitely designed for all Head-Fi' ers out there.

If you have any questions about the product, you can ask us on our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CEntrance/

or by sending email to "info @ centrance dot com"

Head-Fi looks down on companies advertising on its pages, so all I'm saying is we welcome your feedback and will reply in a non-sales manner, as much as possible :)

Michael Goodman

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 94
Just supported this. Hopefully it will be delivered in June as mentioned.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 94
Happy Easter Day, everyone!:)

"Now it's time to discuss the stretch goals. Here are some options:

- High end EQ switch

- Bass boost EQ switch

Let us know your thoughts!"

Michael, could you write a few words on the EQ implementation? Will it be supported in both Bluetooth and USB modes? Do we need to install an application to control the EQ on the BlueDac?

I'm also interested in the availability of digital filters selection for the AKM 4490 DAC chip, will there be any?

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 94
If we reach the EQ stretch goal (TBD), then we would likely use the same EQ as we featured in HiFi-M8 and DACportable. That's a slightly nuanced, musical boost for treble and for bass. We don't have any panel space left for additional switches, and obviously not for a screen, so not sure how to enable selecting the filters on the DAC. In our experience only one setting is awesome and others are not worth it. So we've enabled the right setting. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 94
I have the HiFi m8 and one thing I was really not happy about is that it is not as quiet as advertised. Even at lowest gain setting it has audible hiss which can only be fixed by sending the unit to be modded by Centrance at extra cost.

How is this addressed with this dac?

Also the m8 is not true balanced topology, which i think was addressed by the mini version which was true balanced internally all the way and much more optimised for portable operation.

Why would you base the design on the m8 and not the mini m8?

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 94
BlueDAC features a totally new design, which offers fully balanced output using matched positive and negative amplifiers per each channel. Also, we are using much quieter circuitry, so expect a significant improvement.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 94
Ok thanks ok think you need to update the indiegogo page because I am pretty sure it says it is based on the HiFi m8 design?

I am going back this now as you guys have always delivered on your promises and I was pretty happy with the m8 other than the noise problem and (couple of years later) it stopped syncing to iPad and Android for some reason ...

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 94
I might be missing something, but it looks like at the moment, the highest quality audio playback wouldn't be available for iOS (or the new MacBook Pros) without a micro-USB to USB adapter -- does that seem to be correct? There aren't a lot of lightning-micro USB cables available, and the one I was able to find actually won't even work on iOS 10.3. 

Also -- I'm pretty sure this is correct, but it looks like Bluetooth can only be used to connect the BlueDAC to a phone (or computer), but not to Bluetooth headphones. Not a drawback for me as I don't use Bluetooth headphones for anything other than walking the dog/listening to podcasts, but that means it's not really wireless. 

Finally, I'm trying to get a sense of the actual size. It looks like it's maybe about 2x as thick as an iPhone but it's hard to tell exactly from the video. 

I was an one of the original M8 supporters, which I've mostly been happy about, and have been pining for a slim, all-in-one amp/DAC that is truly portable and can be be used on powerful, home-based rigs as well -- not entirely sure if this fits the bill, but it's definitely intriguing. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 94
Thank you for your interest and support.

It will be awhile before the wireless audio experience is truly on par with the wired, both in terms of audio quality and freedom from drop outs. That's why BlueDAC has two inputs. Having said that, the wireless performance of BlueDAC is surprisingly great.

Essentially we see that people will use the wireless (Bluetooth) input while commuting, walking the dog, in an airplane, etc. Those environments typically have some background noise and therefore make us usually less sensitive to audio quality.

BlueDAC will be very convenient for those on-the-go uses, but it really shines over the wired (USB) connection, thanks to the brand new balanced amp with even lower noise and distortion than HiFi-M8.

Regarding bluetooth headphones, consider that BlueDAC transforms any regular headphones into Bluetooth headphones. So you can use your Audeze, Mr. Speakers, Sennheiser, Beyer, HiFi-Man and others like Bluetooth headphones, if you plug them into BlueDAC.

If you already have Bluetooth headphones, you don't need BlueDAC's wireless input, but you may still be interested in its high resolution wired input.

So to summarize, BluDAC is a 2-input amp. Its Bluetooth input is great for convenience, while the USB input is great for superior audio quality. The balanced output works alongside the standard 3.5 mm stereo jack in either configuration.

Pick your favorite wired headphones. Use the Bluetooth input on the way to work, switch over to wired input while you plug away at a desk. That's how we envisioned the product.

Size-wise, it has the same outside dimensions as iPhone 5SE, but slightly thicker due to a large 3000 mAh battery (18 mm total thickness).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 94
CCK is the most obvious choice, unless we decide to jump through the hoops with Apple approval. But that's treacherous and most importantly, time consuming. If the campaign grows much larger, we may do it, otherwise it's not worth it to delay delivery.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 94
So you'd use the Apple lightning to USB camera adapter and then a microUSB to USB cable to connect the BlueDAC to the to the Apple cable -- correct?

Also, if you don't seek Apple approval right away, does that mean you still might seek it down the line? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back