Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #511 of 542
Beautiful setup you have there! That little Volumio box looks intriguing too, will have to read up on it.

Cen.Grand stack plus Caldera is one of my most used combos lately, just so satisfying on so many levels.
Do you have a preference about USB vs AES/EBU to connect to the streamer?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #512 of 542
Do you have a preference about USB vs AES/EBU to connect to the streamer?

When you say "the streamer" I want to be sure we are on the same page. The Cen.Grand streaming devices have not actually launched yet, so I don't have one of those. Just want to be clear about that - I hope to pick one up when they do launch, and will of course post impressions once I can.

When I use a Matrix Element S streaming transport with the Cen.Grand DAC, I think I like USB a tiny bit better than AES - but it's so close as to really not matter. To put it another way, swapping pads on the Caldera makes a much more significant sonic impact compared to switching between AES and USB.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #513 of 542
When you say "the streamer" I want to be sure we are on the same page. The Cen.Grand streaming devices have not actually launched yet, so I don't have one of those. Just want to be clear about that - I hope to pick one up when they do launch, and will of course post impressions once I can.

When I use a Matrix Element S streaming transport with the Cen.Grand DAC, I think I like USB a tiny bit better than AES - but it's so close as to really not matter. To put it another way, swapping pads on the Caldera makes a much more significant sonic impact compared to switching between AES and USB.
Thanks and yes, you are right, by "streamer" I meant my own streamer Volumio RIVO which then connects to the DAC. I have not tried the USB port since I had a decent AES/EBU cable. I don't want to spend much on a good USB cable if the difference is so minimal.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #514 of 542
If you are happy with your result via AES connection then I would just stick with that.

Honestly the only slight drawback I see is playing higher rate DSD or really high sample rate PCM. The AES connection can do DSD64 via DoP, and tops out at 24/192 for PCM. That's enough to cover 99.99999 percent of the recordings in the world (I'm probably not using enough nines there). But if you have a few special releases in double or quad rate DSD format, or some of those DXD albums which are 24/352.8kHz, then you'd want USB in order to play them. That's really the only impact I can think of because, again, SQ is very evenly matched between AES and USB.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #515 of 542
Cen.Grand stack plus Caldera is one of my most used combos lately, just so satisfying on so many levels.
Are there any reviews / write ups from you on the Caldera or any other ZMF? I’m not in a position to audition them all, so am pretty torn which of the Atrium or Caldera versions (open/closed) I should bank on…

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #516 of 542
Are there any reviews / write ups from you on the Caldera or any other ZMF? I’m not in a position to audition them all, so am pretty torn which of the Atrium or Caldera versions (open/closed) I should bank on…

Never did a formal write up on them but I have the Caldera (bocote LTD) and the Atrium Closed (aged cherry) and absolutely love both.

Caldera is very technically impressive (approaching LCD-5 levels of resolution when used with the right gear) but mostly avoids sounding clinical or overly analytical. Downsides? I could see how some people might find it boring compared to the other ZMF models. Pairing it with the Cen.Grand stack destroys that complaint.

Atrium Closed is an entirely different animal. Rich, warm, with a very soulful tuning that isn't strictly accurate but also doesn't scream "obvious coloration!" like a lot of other "fun" headphones do. The 300 ohm design makes it great for pairing with all manner of tube amps including OTL designs with higher output impedance. And of course the closed nature could be a factor depending on your listening environment.

I haven't heard the Caldera Closed at all so I can't comment on that. And I've only heard the Atrium Open a few times so I can't get into detail other than to say I think the closed version sounds generally pretty similar.

I think the Atrium is a really safe bet, and I can't imagine someone not enjoying it. Caldera is perhaps more polarizing in that you might love it even more than Atrium, but also you might it a tad underwhelming.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #517 of 542
Thanks a lot. I only just recently added some ZMFs to my stable and am so floored by the Bokeh that I’m wondering if the AC vs CC will simply end up like my recent private battle of the Violectrics where the Niimbus reigned supreme (duh…). Finances will definitely not allow for both, so might first need to really settle on the sound I need, then check which ZMF is actually delivering that.

Kinda derailing the thread there, though, so I’ll stop here on that topic… Appreciate the insight, John, as always.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #518 of 542
Hey Folks! I'm upgrading from the Gustard R26 and have narrowed the field to the DSDAC1.0 Deluxe and Audio-GD R7HEMK3 as top contenders. Any recommendations or insights from y'all would be much appreciated. Thanks @project86 for kickstarting this thread with that stellar deep dive into the DACverse.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #520 of 542
FYI I’ve set up a dedicated thread for the LHY UIP USB isolator at the request of a few folk on other threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lhy-uip-usb-audio-isolator.972463/

If those of you who have the UIP (@2mas @seenc ) cared to share your experience over there I’m sure there’d be a few interested and appreciative folk. I’d already linked elsewhere to your posts on this thread but easier to have a dedicated thread methinks.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #521 of 542
FYI I’ve set up a dedicated thread for the LHY UIP USB isolator at the request of a few folk on other threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lhy-uip-usb-audio-isolator.972463/

If those of you who have the UIP (@2mas @seenc ) cared to share your experience over there I’m sure there’d be a few interested and appreciative folk. I’d already linked elsewhere to your posts on this thread but easier to have a dedicated thread methinks.
See you there😊.
We've got the Puritan both of us too😂

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #524 of 542
Thanks a lot. I only just recently added some ZMFs to my stable and am so floored by the Bokeh that I’m wondering if the AC vs CC will simply end up like my recent private battle of the Violectrics where the Niimbus reigned supreme (duh…). Finances will definitely not allow for both, so might first need to really settle on the sound I need, then check which ZMF is actually delivering that.

Kinda derailing the thread there, though, so I’ll stop here on that topic… Appreciate the insight, John, as always.

Just want to add that, I'm a happy owner of Caldera Open with DSDAC Deluxe (and tube amp in between).

In term of sound Caldera Closed has some similarities with Caldera Open, even more than any other closed back ZMF. If you truly like Bokeh sound signature, I think the "normal path" to upgrade is Atrium Closed (based on sound character).

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #525 of 542
In term of sound Caldera Closed has some similarities with Caldera Open, even more than any other closed back ZMF. If you truly like Bokeh sound signature, I think the "normal path" to upgrade is Atrium Closed (based on sound character).
Really appreciate the callout and was actually thinking the same (keep the Bokeh and add the CC). Had a very pleasant call with the German ZMF dealer today and will be auditioning both, the AC and CC in May. If the goods are good, I’ll have made up my mind until then about the E3 (can I ultimately live with the fit or not) and I’ll maybe even be able to time it well with an audition of the Cyan2 vs my Nuprime DAC-9.

While a 4K headphone is generally in the realm of the possible for me, a 6K DAC isn’t (yet!) 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back