Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #526 of 542
Has someone listen to the "basic" version of the Cen.Grand DSDAC ? The DeLuxe has (for me) some useless features (preamplification for ex.) and I have doubts that the "superclock" version makes any audible differences...(I have never heard a difference due to the addition of a master/"super" clock) !
Thanks for feedback if any
Six month later, same question: Has anybody tried the basis version, and if yes, any feedback ?
Strange for me that all people on this thread are using the "De Luxe" version, without having tried the basis version: Maybe in 90% of the cases the basis version would be sufficient/good enough ? In this hobby, more (in price) is not always best....

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #527 of 542
Six month later, same question: Has anybody tried the basis version, and if yes, any feedback ?
Strange for me that all people on this thread are using the "De Luxe" version, without having tried the basis version: Maybe in 90% of the cases the basis version would be sufficient/good enough ? In this hobby, more (in price) is not always best....

I have heard from only one person using the base model, and he really likes it. Upgraded from an original AMR DP-777 which I think sold for around $5k back in the day. But he's an "upgrade my DAC every decade or so" kind of audiophile so I'm not sure how meaningful his assessment is.

As for it being strange that we don't see many of the basic versions out there, I think it's a matter of perspective in terms of the starting point. What if we think of the Deluxe as the original concept, and the lower models as being sort of "DSDAC Lite" type of products? Does that make it any easier? That's opposite compared to thinking of the original as the starting point and the higher ones as upgrades. I honestly don't know what the designer had in mind or what his original concept may have been.

Beyond that it's just a matter of value I guess. People seem more inclined to pay the extra for the higher models, based on perceived improvements they offer. I feel like I see a similar pattern with the Holo Audio products where there are a lot more of the level II or III stuff compared to the base. Maybe the ratio is more extreme with the DSDAC but same concept.

That said, I suspect the original DSDAC is probably a great buy at its price. I would like to see more people try it out se we can get some feedback/comparisons.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #529 of 542
Sorry didn't try the basic version, but tried Superclock and Deluxe at the same time. Listening to both of them there are clearly differences, but i'll let people decide for themselves...money counts for some but not for all

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #530 of 542
All very interesting, the LHY, the DSD lite DAC, the fuses etc etc but... when is the new Cen Grand streamer coming out???????' I'm waiting for him like the Messiah! :dt880smile: :k701smile: :dt880smile:

Waiting (im)patiently here as well. Last I heard they were hoping for a Q2 release but I don't know where it stands at this point.

Hopefully sooner than later!

Sorry didn't try the basic version, but tried Superclock and Deluxe at the same time. Listening to both of them there are clearly differences, but i'll let people decide for themselves...money counts for some but not for all

Thank you for that. Unfortunately that is probably the same answer for the base model as well... difficult to make a value judgement because we don't know the target user's system, music preferences, or ears.

Just based on my exposure to several Cen.Grand devices by now, I can only assume the base model DAC is at least very compelling at its price. But I also very much understand the desire to go up a step or two in the range, assuming budget allows one to do so.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #531 of 542
Thanks for answering !
Well it's a pity you don't share your experience and try to elaborate on the perceived differences, this is exactly what fora are meant for...! You are probably one of the very few to have been able to listen to both models, your feedback would be very valuable
I am just a bit sceptical on the added value of "a better clock" to the original design, already having a top performance clock...And the added value of the DeLuxe, as I understand, is rather in its ability to perform as a preamplifier: So when you just need a DAC, why has nobody simply tried the basis version (for less than half of the price...) ? Sometimes I have the impression that people make their decision with lot of bias, like "if it is more expensive, It can only be better", ot the "clocking" issue (the timing differences are simply not audible by human being, it is a scientifical fact..)

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #532 of 542
Thanks for answering !
Well it's a pity you don't share your experience and try to elaborate on the perceived differences, this is exactly what fora are meant for...! You are probably one of the very few to have been able to listen to both models, your feedback would be very valuable
I am just a bit sceptical on the added value of "a better clock" to the original design, already having a top performance clock...And the added value of the DeLuxe, as I understand, is rather in its ability to perform as a preamplifier: So when you just need a DAC, why has nobody simply tried the basis version (for less than half of the price...) ? Sometimes I have the impression that people make their decision with lot of bias, like "if it is more expensive, It can only be better", ot the "clocking" issue (the timing differences are simply not audible by human being, it is a scientifical fact..)
You asked about the basic version, that's why I didn't write that much. Me - and two other hifi buddies - were listening to both Superclock and deluxe. Superclock is indeed very good by itself, but in terms of tightness, bass response and high notes, the Deluxe was clearly better. We all have the Deluxe now.
The added value, if you want to buy or not, is in my opinion a personal matter.
Most people would probably be very happy even with the basic version..

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #534 of 542
Thanks ! Just trying to understand why the Deluxe should sound better than the superclock, I mean objectively....What components/technology differ between both ?
In case you haven't seen this, taken directly from the Cen.Grand website:

Difference between DSDAC1.0 deluxe and standard model

1: The clock system of deluxe model has higher performance, RMS jitter is as low as 100fs
2: Digital & analog circuit is more advanced, many advance component are used
3: Fully optimized power system. Independent transformers are used for analog and digital
4: More exquisite appearance

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #535 of 542
OK but:
1 clock system has higher performance : It remains to be proven if it can be heard...and the superclock has it anyway
2 Many advance components: As long as they are not clearly listed, it is empty and doubtfull statement
3 Independant transformers: OK if you are using the Delux as a preamplifier, but as a DAC only ??
4 Exquisite appearance: No impact on SQ (and a matter of taste...)

For me the core technology of Cen.Grand is their FPGA algorythm, and it is the same on the 3 versions. The block clocking techno is also the same, and the only difference I see between basis and superclock is the upgraded clock version, which I doubt can be heard by human ears/brains...
So I am really wondering/asking myself if I take the plunge for the basis or the superclock version....

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #536 of 542
All very interesting, the LHY, the DSD lite DAC, the fuses etc etc but... when is the new Cen Grand streamer coming out???????' I'm waiting for him like the Messiah! :dt880smile: :k701smile: :dt880smile:
Why is that ? Will there be a new technology in it, or will it be a traditional streamer in a new casing ? If it is to match opticaly your DSD1 I can understand, otherwise there are plenty of streamer doing a very good job in the market....

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #537 of 542
Regarding the points above, my thoughts are:

1) I agree, the Superclock should be much closer to the Deluxe compared to the base model. But there is more to a digital system than just the clock itself, so there's still room for the Deluxe to outperform the Superclock based on various other upgraded parts.

2) I'm not sure it's realistic to expect an audio company to provide a parts list for each model. Who does that? Cen.Grand is just summarizing by telling us the design is more advanced in general, and a quick image search will show interior views of each version so you can see for yourself. True, you can't get down to the individual capacitor/resistor/etc level. But there's obviously a wide range available for those components, from cheapest to best, and Cen.Grand is telling us the Deluxe model uses better parts. I guess at some point we just have to trust them, just like we do for any audio company when they claim one of their models is more advanced than another.

3) DACs are not purely digital beasts. An improved analog stage should impact the sound even when not using the preamp aspect of the device. Separating the power feeding digital and analog sections is a pretty well established tactic for achieving quality sound, so it's not like they are doing something unusual here.

4) Yep, this one is purely subjective. Although having the Deluxe DAC with the Silver Fox amp (using the same enclosure as the base DAC model) both on hand, I think anyone could tell which is the more expensive model. But still, I suppose one might have a preference for the looks of the base or superclock versions, and that's totally fine.

Regarding the streamer, it does some unique things on the software side which I have not seen anywhere else on the market. Plus of course the quality hardware aspect and the proprietary DAC connection as well. Whether that all adds up to a compelling experience remains to be seen (and heard), but at face value it appear to be something different from other options.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #538 of 542
One question regarding DSD: If I have Roon + HQPlayer, and sending DSD 256 to the DAC, does the Cen.Grand take it and upsample until 1024 ? Or is it blocked to 256 ? Or does it refuse to take any DSD file ?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back