Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #841 of 971
what impedance do you guys use for planars?
I hear low impedance is less shouty and more neutral...before I listen high impedance only...
High impendance is what I use as well. I switch between BTL and Parallel modes depending on headphone since planars seem to like current over voltage.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #843 of 971
All Cen.Grand gear 10% off for Black Friday - makes the Silver Fox that much more of a sweet deal!

As far as using dual amps - I don't see the point unless it's an amp that is actually designed to operate that way. To my knowledge that would be the Questyle CMA800R and the NuForce HA-200, both older designs which benefited from the additional power from monoblock operation. The Silver Fox is significantly more powerful by itself, even when compared to a pair of those models.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #847 of 971
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone on this thread know that i am selling my black 2 month old black 906 big silver fox. Due to personal medical condition of my youngest son. currently its my end game SS amp. Very sad o let it go. But my boy needs me, Its best i am financially prepared in advance. it is in nearly new condition, please check out the classifieds and PM me if interested. thank you

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #851 of 971
I've never heard electrostats before and I would like to try a pair. I know nothing about how electrostatic amps work -- is there a transformer that can be used so that the Silver Fox could amp e-stat headphones? Is it a fool's errand to try and do this?

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #852 of 971
I've never heard electrostats before and I would like to try a pair. I know nothing about how electrostatic amps work -- is there a transformer that can be used so that the Silver Fox could amp e-stat headphones? Is it a fool's errand to try and do this?
There are various transformer boxes that are designed to drive estats from a standard headphone or speaker amplifier. I use, and highly recommend, the iFi iESL. Unfortunately, it's been out of production for a while now, but can sometimes be found on the used market. Whether the Silver Fox has enough power for this application depends largely on which estat you're driving and your subjective assessment of the resulting sound. One very nice feature of the iESL is its adjustable input impedance, which can be set as low as 16 ohms. This increases the effective gain of the transformers while trading off a slight bit of linearity.

I haven't auditioned the Silver Fox or any estat transformer boxes other than the iESL, so I can't really give you any further guidance. I suspect you'd get enough performance to at least justify the experiment, but you might want to try and audition estat headphones first on a dedicated estat amplifier to make sure you even enjoy them. If you like speed and resolution, I think you will!

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #853 of 971
I haven't auditioned the Silver Fox or any estat transformer boxes other than the iESL, so I can't really give you any further guidance. I suspect you'd get enough performance to at least justify the experiment, but you might want to try and audition estat headphones first on a dedicated estat amplifier to make sure you even enjoy them. If you like speed and resolution, I think you will!
Thanks!

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #854 of 971
I would personally try to audition some electrostatic headphones before setting out on that path. I love me some Stax as well as the Audeze CRBN but my experience is that they really don't shine without getting pretty deep into dedicated amplification.

Transformer boxes will technically allow them to make music, and you can start out with a more affordable option like a Stax SR-L300 or something. But imho it's not worth the trouble over a more traditional headphone. That's just my experience having gone that route in the past, which is why I recommend trying to hear them for yourself to see if it might be worth it.

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #855 of 971
I would personally try to audition some electrostatic headphones before setting out on that path. I love me some Stax as well as the Audeze CRBN but my experience is that they really don't shine without getting pretty deep into dedicated amplification.

Transformer boxes will technically allow them to make music, and you can start out with a more affordable option like a Stax SR-L300 or something. But imho it's not worth the trouble over a more traditional headphone. That's just my experience having gone that route in the past, which is why I recommend trying to hear them for yourself to see if it might be worth it.
Completely agree about auditioning estats first.

However, a good transformer box will provide results comfortably beyond "technically allow them to make music", to my ears. I was already using a speaker amp to drive my Susvara, so for an incremental cost of $1500, it was a no-brainer to buy and try the iESL when I subsequently acquired a Shangri-la Junior. It was certainly a lot lower risk than shelling out $5-7k, which is the entry price for the "lower" end of well-regarded estat amplifiers. FWIW, I did audition the Eksonic Aeras at home for a few weeks, and while it did have a more energetic treble and better soundstage depth/layering vs. the iESL, it wasn't transformative in terms of my enjoyment of the music.

In summary, a transformer box turned out to be very much worth the trouble... for me anyway. YMMV, of course. The number of permutations of estat headphone, estat amp, transformer box, driving amplifier, genres of music, listener's ear/brain, etc. makes it impossible to make blanket recommendations IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back