Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #811 of 977
Bass, soundstage and spatial queues I have to give nod to the Silver Fox. GS-X has an edge in clarity in the mid and treble.

They’re tuned very differently, Silver Fox has a sweeter sound, leaning a bit to the warm side but not too warm unlike Enleum or Bakoon. More technical and powerful too. GS-X is a lot more neutral, has a blacker background, focusing on clarity in the mid/treble, fast attack and transient.

I see that you have Beta22. I think Silver Fox is a more modern interpretation of that type of sound.
That’s great. I really enjoy using b22. However, while it’s fantastic with dynamic cans the amp was not designed for planars and as a result those don’t sound their best on b22.

Have you had any issue with the amp tripping a circuit? Any useful info on their fuse placement would be most helpful.

Oct 16, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #813 of 977
The claim that CFA3 can only drive planars is simply not true. Not sure where that comes from - probably a dealer or YT or reviewer or influencer with some financial interest in Mass Kobo products.

Mass Kobo does not look the part from internal images but the impressions are certainly interesting. Will have to reserve judgement until hear one IRL.
I agree, the CFA3 drives dynamics perfectly. No problems. From what I have heard, the Silver Fox does as well. I just use mine on low gain and I get more volume play and better dynamics.

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #814 of 977
That’s great. I really enjoy using b22. However, while it’s fantastic with dynamic cans the amp was not designed for planars and as a result those don’t sound their best on b22.

Have you had any issue with the amp tripping a circuit? Any useful info on their fuse placement would be most helpful.

It seems to function normally so far.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #815 of 977
I agree, the CFA3 drives dynamics perfectly. No problems. From what I have heard, the Silver Fox does as well. I just use mine on low gain and I get more volume play and better dynamics.

Silver Fox is pretty clean amp. With Low Impedance 2 setting, i can plug 64 Audio U12t without any background noise (Balance Armature Drivers with 108dB sensitivity). I think the Low Impedance 3 setting is a bit too extreme to reduce the power, perhaps for someone who want to plug IEM with 120dB sensitivity.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #816 of 977
Silver Fox is pretty clean amp. With Low Impedance 2 setting, i can plug 64 Audio U12t without any background noise (Balance Armature Drivers with 108dB sensitivity). I think the Low Impedance 3 setting is a bit too extreme to reduce the power, perhaps for someone who want to plug IEM with 120dB sensitivity.
That is what makes that amp so wonderful. It can power pretty much anything without breaking a sweat with very little to no noise.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #817 of 977
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #818 of 977
I visited the exhibition and listened to Cen.Grand Stack. Posted my impressions here - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen...arch-for-a-new-reference.966809/post-17784823
I wish cen.grand would come up with a DSDAC model that stacks well with the Little Silver Fox! Your impressions are very similar to mine. This thing has some REAL kick to it. I am running this on a R2R and the dynamics are still unbelievably impactful. These amps definitely need some warm up time to sound their best. Though you don't have to wait insanely long like on something like the yggy.

It’s my first foray into cen.grand gear as well and I am extremely happy with my purchase. Paired with the R26, the sound coming out of it is very holographic, warm and oh so luscious. It's been mentioned previously before but in these higher end products usually the higher you go, the more neutral the sound becomes. The full sized Silver Fox is warm in of itself, I feel like its possible this Little one is even warmer. I gotta say for a SS amp, this is very impressive. I can hear separate reverberations around each instrument (without any blending) and sounds just have this very realistic timbre. I no longer have the desire to jump into tubes anymore.

Would love to get anyone's input on the Little Silver Fox vs Silver Fox discussion.

IMG_1561.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #819 of 977
Just saw a silver fox for sale locally and am considering it. Can anyone comment how it does with the utopia? I know it has a lot more power than the utopia needs but I also need something that has enough power for planars.

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #820 of 977
Just saw a silver fox for sale locally and am considering it. Can anyone comment how it does with the utopia? I know it has a lot more power than the utopia needs but I also need something that has enough power for planars.
Seeing as this can power the Susvara exceptionally well, it will do wonders with the Utopia. I'm sure someone will confirm this. On top of that I see you have the LCD-4, this amp (either the Little or full sized) will pair EXTREMELY well with the 4/4z/i4 drivers.

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #821 of 977

Quite good actually. Of course nothing beats a good tube amp with the Focal but this is pretty up there for an SS amp.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #822 of 977
The Silver Fox is an excellent pairing for the Utopia’s. The tone of Silver Fox matches very well brighter headphones in general. Don’t let the warmish sound of the Silver Fox discourage you from trying it with warmer sounding headphones like ZMF or Ether 2’s. It performs exceptionally well with those too.

The technical ability and musicality of the Silver Fox makes it a complete amp and worthy of consideration. It also has a nice onboard feature set. For example, you can use a lower impedance to lessen the power output and get more usable volume out of the Silver Fox if you choose for easy to drive headphones like the Utopia’s.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #823 of 977
Pulled the trigger on a silver fox. Very excited.

Unfortunately reading through this whole thread was an unpleasant chore. We have two ornery members who seem to belong to this forum only to insult people and question their integrity (I don’t need to name them, you know who they are) and more discussion of the CFA3 and Kobo than the Silver Fox.

I hope I like the amp more than I liked reading this thread.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #824 of 977
Pulled the trigger on a silver fox. Very excited.

Unfortunately reading through this whole thread was an unpleasant chore. We have two ornery members who seem to belong to this forum only to insult people and question their integrity (I don’t need to name them, you know who they are) and more discussion of the CFA3 and Kobo than the Silver Fox.

I hope I like the amp more than I liked reading this thread.
Sorry for that. You will love the Silver Fox

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #825 of 977
Sorry for that. You will love the Silver Fox
Geoff, you are exempt from all criticism, not least because it was you who recommended this amp to me in the first place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back