Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #436 of 975
Sounds like a perfect summary to me! I do occasionally try to use Active G mode, but I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference versus BTL or Parallel.
Can you tell a difference between Parallel and BTL modes? Hopefully XLR Input + XLR Output + Parallel being dead silent doesn't sacrifice any form of dynamics and such, which would make it the ideal use mode for this amp.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #437 of 975
Can you tell a difference between Parallel and BTL modes? Hopefully XLR Input + XLR Output + Parallel being dead silent doesn't sacrifice any form of dynamics and such, which would make it the ideal use mode for this amp.
I can’t personally detect a difference between Parallel and BTL with my Elite besides the slightly higher gain in BTL. The noise floor is so low in BTL that it’s impossible for me to hear unless the music is paused and I really concentrate to hear it. I haven’t noticed a difference in dynamics etc, but my disclaimer is that I have only had the amp a few days and have been sick/congested the entire time.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #438 of 975
Does anyone have experience in using an RCA to XLR adapter like the one below? If I can just input the Qutest RCA into the XLR of the Silver Fox perhaps that could make parallel a viable option to have no noise floor.

1689288111875.png

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #439 of 975
I can't understand why a proper gain system wasn't implemented but rather adding output impedance and therefore messing with the frequency response & damping factor of the transducer side... As much as the noise floor is mostly inaudible, I know the idea of the noise floor will be eating away in the back of my mind and I will just actively search for it, which sucks. I guess this is also my issue for not using a hard to drive headphone given this amp is intended for power hungry sets. This issue shouldn't exist for users of headphones harder to drive than Elites.

Perhaps I may sell this off and switch to a Bliss, but then again I know I would much prefer how this amp sounds now that I've heard it compared to the descriptions of the Bliss :cry:. Either TT2 for XLR or Bliss at this point I guess...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #440 of 975
I can't understand why a proper gain system wasn't implemented but rather adding output impedance and therefore messing with the frequency response & damping factor of the transducer side... As much as the noise floor is mostly inaudible, I know the idea of the noise floor will be eating away in the back of my mind and I will just actively search for it, which sucks. I guess this is also my issue for not using a hard to drive headphone given this amp is intended for power hungry sets. This issue shouldn't exist for users of headphones harder to drive than Elites.

Perhaps I may sell this off and switch to a Bliss, but then again I know I would much prefer how this amp sounds now that I've heard it compared to the descriptions of the Bliss :cry:. Either TT2 for XLR or Bliss at this point I guess...
So the noise level using an RCA input with BTL mode and the 4-pin XLR out is still too high for you with your Elite? I wonder if the full-size Silver Fox has a slightly higher noise floor since it is more powerful.

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #441 of 975
So the noise level using an RCA input with BTL mode and the 4-pin XLR out is still too high for you with your Elite? I wonder if the full-size Silver Fox has a slightly higher noise floor since it is more powerful.
RCA input with BTL mode and 4-pin XLR out is essentially inaudible unless I listen for it during no audio playback or passages that go near silent, but my OCD the thought just constantly gnaws in the back of my mind and I end up focusing on it even when I try not to. The thought inside my head are far louder than the noise floor and I can't stand it!

This frustrates me even more knowing that the issue could have been resolved with a gain feature instead of adding output impedance, which then messes with the transducers and makes the low impedance modes essentially useless to me. Unfortunately I am not an enjoyer of smoothened out sounds (which is why I don't dabble in tubes either).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #442 of 975
RCA input with BTL mode and 4-pin XLR out is essentially inaudible unless I listen for it during no audio playback or passages that go near silent, but my OCD the thought just constantly gnaws in the back of my mind and I end up focusing on it even when I try not to. The thought bothers me far more than the noise floor does and I can't stand it!
We are very similar it seems. It’s the main reason I’m getting away from tubes. As good as they can sound, you’re still dealing 60+ year old relics that occasionally aren’t silent. At least on a solid state amp, the noise floor is consistent. Little chirps and crackles drive me crazy, even if they aren’t audible 99% of the time with music playing. That 1% was enough to drive be into looking for a high-end solid-state amp.

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #443 of 975
If you really like the sound of the amp, I think it makes sense to get a DAC with XLR outputs. Then again, those adapters might work. Hopefully someone has experience using them for this same purpose.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #444 of 975
We are very similar it seems. It’s the main reason I’m getting away from tubes. As good as they can sound, you’re still dealing 60+ year old relics that occasionally aren’t silent. At least on a solid state amp, the noise floor is consistent. Little chirps and crackles drive me crazy, even if they aren’t audible 99% of the time with music playing. That 1% was enough to drive be into looking for a high-end solid-state amp.
BLASPHEMER!!!!

Soon you'll be calling me a 60 year old relic. :)

Team Tube Forever!!!

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #445 of 975
I don't enjoy tube amps for their general characteristic anyway which is what the low impedance modes on this do. So frustrating because those modes have no noise, yet distort the sound.
If you really like the sound of the amp, I think it makes sense to get a DAC with XLR outputs. Then again, those adapters might work. Hopefully someone has experience using them for this same purpose.
This is definitely something I am considering but I am really enjoying the Chord + Silver Fox pairing, and another DAC would be even more costs to add in :cry:Cen.Grand has said I can try those adapters but that will significantly reduce power output, who knows if that will then affect sound quality?

Argh!!! Maybe Bliss could just relieve me of all stress :thinking:

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #446 of 975
Haha, I do love the sound of my tube amp. I used to relish the tube hunt as well. Then I realized I’d spent about as much on tubes as the amp itself and second-guessed the wisdom in that. I also am extremely OCD about background noise from old tubes. My favorite tubes are unfortunately very old and prone to occasional chirps and interference.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #447 of 975
I don't enjoy tube amps for their general characteristic anyway which is what the low impedance modes on this do. So frustrating because those modes have no noise, yet distort the sound.

This is definitely something I am considering but I am really enjoying the Chord + Silver Fox pairing, and another DAC would be even more costs to add in :cry:Cen.Grand has said I can try those adapters but that will significantly reduce power output, who knows if that will then affect sound quality?

Argh!!! Maybe Bliss could just relieve me of all stress :thinking:
If Cen.Grand says the adapters are ok, definitely try that. Set your DAC to 3V output, and you should be good. My XLR output is only 4V, so I can’t imagine it would be that much less power overall. You’ll certainly have no issue driving the Elite.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #448 of 975
I can almost guarantee those experiencing an audible noise floor could completely eliminate the issue with a small isolation transformer. I realize this is not a ground loop issue. This is what's referred to as hash on the power line. It's basically some white noise being introduced into the amplifier stage from other devices in your home. Anything from switching supplies to fluorescent lights. I have issues with dirty power in my own home which seems to be in my neighborhood. It is mostly some DC on the line that makes transformers hum louder and in turn this can cause other notable issues. A good power conditioner can significantly reduce all these dirty power problems, but an isolation transformer will almost assuredly completely eliminate it.

I have a Trifield meter (model EM100) which is a line EMI monitor from AlphaLab Inc that I use for testing and tracking down line noise. You'll be shocked the first time you try a meter like this and you hear and measure how much noise is coming from different devices in your home. Of course this tester is amplifying it considerably so that you can actually hear in the audible spectrum the noise on the AC line that your audio gear is being subjected to. If you've ever heard static and white noise on an AM radio between stations, this is basically the type of interference and noise that is entering the amplifier through the AC. Some amplifier designs are just more susceptible to picking up some of this hash. It's a common issue in recording studios where you have so many piece of gear being summed together on one large analog mixer. This is why isolation transformers are usually the norm for commercial studios.

Even if you're not hearing background noise or hum, you will be surprised at how much blacker and better most equipment sounds with some good power conditioning or power isolation. If your equipment sounds better at night than it does during the day, this is also another reason to consider an isolation transformer. Everything starts with the electrons coming from the wall and yet it's often overlooked that dirty power can be affecting or reducing the quality of your audio reproduction.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #449 of 975
I can almost guarantee those experiencing an audible noise floor could completely eliminate the issue with a small isolation transformer. I realize this is not a ground loop issue. This is what's referred to as hash on the power line. It's basically some white noise being introduced into the amplifier stage from other devices in your home. Anything from switching supplies to fluorescent lights. I have issues with dirty power in my own home which seems to be in my neighborhood. It is mostly some DC on the line that makes transformers hum louder and in turn this can cause other notable issues. A good power conditioner can significantly reduce all these dirty power problems, but an isolation transformer will almost assuredly completely eliminate it.

I have a Trifield meter (model EM100) which is a line EMI monitor from AlphaLab Inc that I use for testing and tracking down line noise. You'll be shocked the first time you try a meter like this and you hear and measure how much noise is coming from different devices in your home. Of course this tester is amplifying it considerably so that you can actually hear in the audible spectrum the noise on the AC line that your audio gear is being subjected to. If you've ever heard static and white noise on an AM radio between stations, this is basically the type of interference and noise that is entering the amplifier through the AC. Some amplifier designs are just more susceptible to picking up some of this hash. It's a common issue in recording studios were you have so many piece of gear being summed together on one large analog mixer. This is why isolation transformers are usually the norm for commercial studios.

Even if you're not hearing background noise or hum, you will be surprised at how much blacker and better most equipment sounds with some good power conditioning or power isolation. If your equipment sounds better at night than it does during the day, this is also another reason to consider an isolation transformer. Everything starts with the electrons coming from the wall and yet it's often overlooked that dirty power can be affecting or reducing the quality of your audio reproduction.
What would you recommend in this case to remove this noise floor? I don't feel so comfortable spending hundreds on power related devices as an experiment after all... Unsure if there are options to trial it too. If there are any smaller devices like iFi units or similar that can be worth trying then perhaps I will give it a go.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #450 of 975
What would you recommend in this case to remove this noise floor? I don't feel so comfortable spending hundreds on power related devices as an experiment after all... Unsure if there are options to trial it too. If there are any smaller devices like iFi units or similar that can be worth trying then perhaps I will give it a go.
I know part of your issue is using extremely sensitive headphones or IEMs along with the RCA inputs. Some good power conditioning or an isolation transformer could definitely be beneficial, but there may still be some residual noise if you're using the same RCA DAC and IEMs.

I believe you are located in Australia? PuraSound in Brisbane carries Keces products. It might be worth seeing if they will offer you a trial period on one of their small isolation transformers like the IQRP-800. Or perhaps they might have something else they carry that they would suggest trying to see whether or not this reduces or eliminates the noise you are experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back