Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
May 31, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #226 of 969
I had thought of posting this at the beginning instead of the post that I made, but I fell into the troll trap.

If one was to look in the dictionary for the definition of passive aggressive, they would see your post. Any of these threads are appreciation and impression threads. For someone to come on here that does not own, or sell the product, and make a negative comment in passing (and not to mention the two other amps that you said sounded better) in the way that you have done, has an agenda. I would guarantee if you were selling this amp, it would not be shouty at all. It would sound like the Virgin Mary herself started singing.
I'm sure he didn't mean it in that way, he was just stating his experience with it at an audio show. He even prefaced that the show conditions weren't good. Just my .02

May 31, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #227 of 969
I'm sure he didn't mean it in that way, he was just stating his experience with it at an audio show. He even prefaced that the show conditions weren't good. Just my .02

I don’t think so. Then why did he have to add to his comment that two other components sounded better on this appreciation thread. That part is irrelevant. He could’ve just left it by saying that it sounded shouty. That actually would’ve sounded relevant as is, even though I still say that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to come on an appreciation and impression thread to say something negative, and with the caveat that I heard it at a show.

Think it through. What would value and purpose of the comment be other than another agenda.

The other side effect of this is that someone looking at this thread and trying to make a decision on if they should buy this amplifier or not, sees this one off comment and decides maybe I should pass

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #228 of 969
Then why did he have to add to his comment that two other components sounded better on this appreciation thread.

Let me politely ask why wouldn't he if that was his experience? Mentioning the subject of this appreciation thread in the context of two other amps is okay if someone asks me :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 31, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #229 of 969
Let me politely ask why wouldn't he if that was his experience? Mentioning the subject of this appreciation thread in the context of two other amps is okay if someone asks me :)

We’ll agree to disagree. There is no point in adding the two that he did like. So the whole show was based on three amps that moved him enough to discuss it? To me, the comment would’ve had more weight if he just said it was shouty.

Anyway, I said my piece. It is what it is. No one has to have the same opinion as me. You know kind of like someone saying something sounds shouty. 😃

May 31, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #230 of 969
Anyway, I said my piece. It is what it is. No one has to have the same opinion as me.

It's all good, we don't have to agree on everything, but thanks for keeping this convo civilized :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 31, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #231 of 969
It's all good, we don't have to agree on everything, but thanks for keeping this convo civilized :)
I wasn't trying to get out of hand. It's just that it is a pet peeve of mine on forums if someone makes a negative comment that could be self serving and potentially causes someone to make a decision on a component based on erroneous comments. This may not be the case here, but it raised a red flag in my eyes.

May 31, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #232 of 969
I had thought of posting this at the beginning instead of the post that I made, but I fell into the troll trap.

If one was to look in the dictionary for the definition of passive aggressive, they would see your post. Any of these threads are appreciation and impression threads. For someone to come on here that does not own, or sell the product, and make a negative comment in passing (and not to mention the two other amps that you said sounded better) in the way that you have done, has an agenda. I would guarantee if you were selling this amp, it would not be shouty at all. It would sound like the Virgin Mary herself started singing.
I gave my initial impression of the amp. Nothing more

I think you're reading a LOT more into my post than is there....

May 31, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #233 of 969
Then why did he have to add to his comment that two other components sounded better on this appreciation thread
Because those were the two amps that happened to be literally next to it at that booth.

Also, this is not an 'appreciation thread'. Threads on head fi exist to discuss various products but they do not exist purely to provide positive views and nothing else

May 31, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #234 of 969
Well, different people look for different things in their gear, experience horizons differ and we listen differently. I love to dive into the music, be moved by it, forget the day.

What I heard in Munich with the Rose streamer and Stealth paired with Silver Fox makes me confident enough to buy one. Will order when the next flat is rented. I also heard the Zähl right after with a more expensive source (Auralic) and the Stealth. And it does not fit my above bill at all. It hails from the studio world and is probably great for mastering. I want to enjoy myself while listening, sense the meaning, understand the artist’s intent, not pick music or sound into pieces.

So... Just the very opposite finding based probably on different requirements. ‘Better’ as a word in itself means nothing.

(These requirements are about music presentation and what the listening experience is. I’m not very much interested in sound minutiae with a reasonably well built component. Maybe in the end...)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #235 of 969
Because those were the two amps that happened to be literally next to it at that booth.

Also, this is not an 'appreciation thread'. Threads on head fi exist to discuss various products but they do not exist purely to provide positive views and nothing else

You can explain it away anyway you want. If you just said it was shouty It would’ve been one thing. However once you decided to compare it to two other amps, which really were not relevant to your point regarding the Silver Fox makes you very transparent.

I didn’t even get into the fact that you work for a headphone company that sells amps, and not the Silver Fox.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #236 of 969
The other side effect of this is that someone looking at this thread and trying to make a decision on if they should buy this amplifier or not, sees this one off comment and decides maybe I should pass

To me GoldenOne comparison is totally relevant. I do not see anything wrong making comparison to another piece of gear which shares similar function, regardless of price. 6Moons also mentioned AMP-23R in their review.

There are all sorts of positive and negative reviews and comparisons out there, one make their decision based on their own interpretation of all the reviews.

Lets talk about an opposite scenario.
What if I read Slim1970 review, thinking the Silver Fox is such a great amp, paid 4 grand to buy it and didn't like it?
Do I blame Slim1970, "red flag" anyones comment? No, it is my decision after all
I choose to read the review, I choose to believe it and I choose to buy the amp.

I fully support GoldenOne (and anyone) to freely express what they feel, as long as the comment is civilized and respectful.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #237 of 969
I'll take John Grandberg's recommendation on this amp all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

He's a proven professional with extensive experience and a proven track record. He's got class and tact in his reviews and writings and in dealing with people.

My only decision is on the little silver fox or the silver fox.

I'm sure I'll be a happy and satisfied listener!

:k701smile:

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #238 of 969
To me GoldenOne comparison is totally relevant. I do not see anything wrong making comparison to another piece of gear which shares similar function, regardless of price. 6Moons also mentioned AMP-23R in their review.

There are all sorts of positive and negative reviews and comparisons out there, one make their decision based on their own interpretation of all the reviews.

What if I read Slim1970 review, thinking the Silver Fox is such a great amp, paid 4 grand to buy it and didn't like it?
Do I blame Slim1970, "red flag" anyones comment? No, it is my decision after all
I choose to read the review, I choose to believe it and I choose to buy the amp.

I fully support GoldenOne (and anyone) to freely express what they feel, as long as the comment is civilized and respectful.

It is useful to point out possible conflicts of interest. I have no time to look at all profiles. Whether the issue is real in the end – who can know. That puzzle piece of info – color unknown – adds to the overall picture I construct for a piece of gear.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #239 of 969

I 1000% percent agree about hearing different points of view, however this smacked of a conflict of interest and an agenda. That’s the difference for me.

I could be correct, or I could be off track, but that’s where I’m coming from.

So it’s probably a good idea to put all this to bed as I/we are moving into beating a dead horse territory.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #240 of 969
It is useful to point out possible conflicts of interest. I have no time to look at all profiles. Whether the issue is real in the end – who can know. That puzzle piece of info – color unknown – adds to the overall picture I construct for a piece of gear.
I also support anyone to point out possible conflict of interest for people to be aware, just as I support GoldenOne's to express his opinion.
But a conflict of interest does not make a comparison irrelevant.

What I disagree is the idea that negative comments should limited because the discussion thread is for "appreciation" purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back