Cen.Grand 9i-806 - the Little Silver Fox
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
3618046239.jpg

We've already had some discussion over at the main Silver Fox thread, but I wanted to separate this into a dedicated discussion as I feel it deserves consideration on its own.

The 9i-806 "Little Silver Fox" is the second headphone amplifier from Cen.Grand which is basically a scaled down version of its bigger sibling. It still uses the same array of 8 Exicon lateral MOSFETs, and has equivalent I/O functionality with two sets each of RCA and XLR inputs along with outputs in 4-pin XLR, dual 3-pin XLR which double as dual 1/4" jacks, and then a 4.4mm balanced jack. It also sports the same selectable sound modes: Normal, BTL, Active Ground, and Parallel, which lead to different sonic results depending on the headphone.

The designer explains that the main differences involve a simplified Alps balanced potentiometer (versus the resistor ladder solution in the bigger Fox), a slightly smaller power transformer (leading to less total power, though 15W at 32 ohms is still extremely potent), and some less exotic components used throughout the design. I also note that the Little version is in fact smaller in terms of width, and seems bit simplified in some of its details (chiefly the side panels and footers). It's still an incredibly well-built amplifier and looks right at home in a high-end audio rig.

The Little Silver Fox sells for $2,399 which is nearly $1,800 less than its older sibling. I've got a review unit here and my goal is to see how much of a sonic impact those design changes end up having. But all discussion is welcome in this thread.

PXL_20230612_002015558.jpg

3617939474.jpg

PXL_20230615_000232160.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230615_000217667.PORTRAIT.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 84
Now for some internal pics:

PXL_20230609_042039068.jpg
(Exicons)

PXL_20230609_040045969.jpg

Also happy to say that despite its massive power capabilities, the Little Silver Fox plays very well with sensitive in-ear monitors:

PXL_20230615_000725215.PORTRAIT.jpg

Very cool stuff, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 22, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 84
Anyone else get their ears on this amp? I’m trying to decide between it and it’s bigger brother.

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 84
I’ve decided to take a leap of faith and purchase the Little Silver Fox. I know there’s not much info on the amp as of yet, but I think it’s going to be a great match with my Meze Elite. I’m looking forward to this becoming a much more active thread in the coming months!

Edit: @ArthurPower just let me know that I’m actually the first US customer to purchase the Little Silver Amp! I’m excited to be the Guinea pig! I have a feeling this amp will start selling really well if it can compete with amps like the Bliss and V550 for quite a bit less money. Only time will tell of course.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 84
I’ve decided to take a leap of faith and purchase the Little Silver Fox. I know there’s not much info on the amp as of yet, but I think it’s going to be a great match with my Meze Elite. I’m looking forward to this becoming a much more active thread in the coming months!

Edit: @ArthurPower just let me know that I’m actually the first US customer to purchase the Little Silver Amp! I’m excited to be the Guinea pig! I have a feeling this amp will start selling really well if it can compete with amps like the Bliss and V550 for quite a bit less money. Only time will tell of course.
Have ya gotten yours yet?

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 84
Have ya gotten yours yet?
No! It’s been delayed leaving China for like 7 days at this point. I actually called UPS today and got an update. They said it was either on a plane or currently in the air on the way to the US, so I’m hoping to get in the next few days. No estimated arrival date on the tracking page yet, but I check it constantly.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 84
At least its on the way now! Hope it comes soon.

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 84
Yes definitely let us know when it arrives and you get some listening time in. Very curious to see whether I'm crazy or if this really is the superb value it seems to be.
I won't be able to chime in on the value part too much because I haven't heard anything more expensive. My best amp is the Quicksilver, which is a transformer-coupled tube amp, that currently retails for $1198. I'm personally hoping the Little Silver Fox outperforms the Quicksilver thoroughly enough that I can sell it without hesitation. This might be wishful thinking because a tube amp and solid-state amp are always going to have different strengths and weaknesses. I just hope the weaknesses of the Cen.Grand are so small that I don't mind giving up the strengths of the Quicksilver.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 84
Going by the internal pictures, it seems as though the design hasn't changed that much from the bigger Fox model. Would be interesting to see how well the potentiometer performs by comparison, if its a decent implementation this might be the one to get for those looking for something more affordable (and smaller as is in my case). The normal Silver Fox model compares quite favorably even vs. the Holo Audio Bliss so this would be an incredible amplifier from a value and sound proposition.

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 84
The normal Silver Fox model compares quite favorably even vs. the Holo Audio Bliss
If you have heard the Bigger Silver Fox and the Bliss could you provide details about how the two compare or differ in performance, sonically speaking? I am sure there are many enthusiasts on head-fi who would appreciate such comparative impressions.

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 84
If you have heard the Bigger Silver Fox and the Bliss could you provide details about how the two compare or differ in performance, sonically speaking? I am sure there are many enthusiasts on head-fi who would appreciate such comparative impressions.
I am looking at those same two amps, and would definitely appreciate some comparisons.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 84
I was originally trying to decide between the Silver Fox and Bliss but ended up getting the Little Silver Fox after much deliberation. I haven’t heard any of them at this point, but I also thought the Little seemed like an excellent deal for the asking price considering how similar it is to its bigger brother.

Haven’t had any update on my tracking number for 2 days now, so I’m trying to be positive and assuming the amp is finally on the move from China. I go out of town on Tuesday, so I’m quickly running out of time.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 84
I am looking at those same two amps, and would definitely appreciate some comparisons.
Just posted my findings in regards to Silver Fox vs Bliss over in the Silver Fox thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen-grand-9i-906-silver-fox.966805/post-17636696

Initially wrote this here in response to your comments but have decided to copy it over just to keep things on topic. Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back