Cell phone-fi ? Show us your mobile phone
Apr 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 76
Nokia 6230i,
6230i-red-pop.jpg

I loved this phone, I will use it until it craps out. I'm interested on the iPhone due to their internet, pda capabilities and ability to synch up w/ my macbook. I hate to typed on it and it took forever to dial call or text messaging. I always bring 2 cellphones this days since I need one for international text messaging, so an iPhone will be a nice complement to my nokia 6230i.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 76
Roastpuff, that N82 looks sweet. I've been anxiously awaiting the N82 in black, and it looks like it's finally come out. Now, do I splurge, or do I remain content with my two-year-old Panasonic VS6?

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm cheap on phones. eInk Motorola F3. Doesn't do much besides makes calls, but great battery life and $39 (unlocked/without contract). Besides have a Touch to do the rest.

motofone-f3.jpg

Damn straight. I just bought one of these to replace the stinking ericsson my cut-rate provider gave me for free when they switched me to the gsm network.

That electrophoretic display is slick. yeah it reads like a newsprint alarm clock, but i can read it in just about any lighting condition, and there's no glass to break and no refractive layers to contend with.

Games? the games on my ericsson sucked and i never played them. Cell phone games have gone down the tubes since about 1999 anyhow. Ever since color screens really.

This is just a phone. it does phone stuff well and sms stuff just barely. anything more than that, it just doesn't do.

But the ui is simple and well designed and does everything it ought to - unlike my ericsson.

my crappy ericsson has this feature where the clock screensaver cannot be disabled. if i missed a call, the missed-call icon would show on the screen for about 20 seconds and then the screen saver would cover it, and there would be no way for me to know that i had missed a call unless i started prodding at the buttons on the phone.

But the MoFo? no such issue. and since the display is static, it'll still be showing the missed-call icon long after the battery dies.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #19 of 76
Sony Ericsson K800i
Sony%20Ericsson%20K800i.jpg

At least until Apple release their iPhone over here..

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 76
k800i. The "joystick" sucks. The next model k810i has it fixed but that doesnt justify the price difference so all in all pretty good.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 76
Raymondlin, that nokia n95 looks good.
My wife and I have RAZRs (about three years old now).
I wanted to get my wife a new phone, like a PDA. She is a nurse, and I wanted to get her something that could maybe hold a medical/pharmaceutical encyclopedia file or program that she could use at work. Also, can phones with wi-fi capabilities use something like instant messaging instead of text messaging (something like yahoo messenger)? That way you do not have to pay the service provider text message fees? Also my wife likes to watch youtube videos of cartoons like Naruto (I think that is how you spell it), so I know the iphone is probably a good candidate. However, the camera on that N95 would be awesome to have.
I would appreciate any help, especially about the instant messaging thing, because t-mobile wants something like $15 extra a month for unlimited text messaging. We do not use it that often, but it would still save us about $5-10 a month since we pay per text.

Philimon

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raymondlin, that nokia n95 looks good.
My wife and I have RAZRs (about three years old now).
I wanted to get my wife a new phone, like a PDA. She is a nurse, and I wanted to get her something that could maybe hold a medical/pharmaceutical encyclopedia file or program that she could use at work. Also, can phones with wi-fi capabilities use something like instant messaging instead of text messaging (something like yahoo messenger)? That way you do not have to pay the service provider text message fees? Also my wife likes to watch youtube videos of cartoons like Naruto (I think that is how you spell it), so I know the iphone is probably a good candidate. However, the camera on that N95 would be awesome to have.
I would appreciate any help, especially about the instant messaging thing, because t-mobile wants something like $15 extra a month for unlimited text messaging. We do not use it that often, but it would still save us about $5-10 a month since we pay per text.

Philimon

I'm sure there's something out there in terms of medical software for the N95. It uses Symbian OS, so programs for it is freely available and more are being made everyday. Wifi will allow for IMing, yes. Fring is a good IM software, and you can even set up a VOIP Skype account on the phone so that you call out via Skype instead of the cellular network.

Youtube is available on the N95 via Wifi.
smily_headphones1.gif
The browser has Flash available, so it can go to most Flash-enabled sites.

If you think the N95 is a tad bulky, the N82 has most of its functions in a smaller candy-bar format. Plus, there's a better flash than the lousy LED one on the N95. You lose the slider though (which I don't particularly like anyways). Try to get the black 8GB model or the N95-3, because they fixed the problems that were prevalent in the earlier 4GB models and have better battery life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCrash
Roastpuff, that N82 looks sweet. I've been anxiously awaiting the N82 in black, and it looks like it's finally come out. Now, do I splurge, or do I remain content with my two-year-old Panasonic VS6?

You're asking the wrong guy. I used to switch phones every 3-4 months, if not sooner.
biggrin.gif
I say go for it... it's a sweet phone, but try to get from a local dealer where you can return it if it goes wrong; that's one of the perils of a cutting-edge phone. You can get duds, sometimes. Mine's heading to HK with my dad, thankfully, otherwise I'd be fuming.

EDIT: Medical Encyclopedia like this?

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 76
I use the Sony Ericsson w580 (Urban Gray):
sony-ericssonw580-large.jpg

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iphone
frown.gif

And that makes you unhappy?
confused.gif

Love mine like the proverbial plus-sized kid loves cake! Adding 3G and (supported) 3rd-party software this summer is icing on top.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm cheap on phones. eInk Motorola F3. Doesn't do much besides makes calls, but great battery life and $39 (unlocked/without contract). Besides have a Touch to do the rest.

motofone-f3.jpg

I really wish I knew about this model sooner. Now that's a cell phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back