CEC HP-53FB balanced dynamic headphones
Aug 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cedar80

New Head-Fier
http://cgi.ebay.com/CEC-HD53N-HP-53FB-Amp-Balance-type-Headphone-set-/200398613849?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers

Never heard about those cans... the CEC HD-53N is a known beast but what about the HP-53FB? I imagine it has quite hi-end pretentions, since it comes packaged with the amp.
Can't find any info other than those in the auction page and the same in the CEC site... Maybe someone can help? Any japanese fellow?
Would be very curious.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 12
They have been around for a little while and I have seen them in person at a couple of places but never tried them on. They look kinda cheap. CEC gets a lot of shelf space in mainstream electronics stores around Japan. While the HD-53N is easy to find, balanced headphones are not. My guess is that they are just a way to help promote the amps and not terribly 'serious' headphones. Probably many singled-ended headphones in the same price range outperform them easily.

Just speculation though, I will give them a try when I see them next.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the info, Gu Sensei!
Yes, even in photo they look cheap and plasticky, but we never know!...
Looking forward to your impressions the next time you'll see it!

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 12
I am a CEC HP-53FB owner and have used it for more than 200 hr (my source is CEC TL51X + CEC DX71 MK II & hevicy audio VC-01 and use AQ 72V DBS IC)

Compared Headphone: ATH-W5000, HD650 with balanced ALO SXC cable

First of all, hp53-fb is as comfortable as D5000,W5000 to wear for a long time

And the insulation of sound to go outside is much higher than D5000,d7000,W5000

For the sound quailty, I would say that this headphone is very sensible to your source, if you equipment is good,it can sing as good as d5000 and even similar to D7000 &
W5000,especially for vocal

I can describe HP53-FB as a Japanese-styled HD650 but with much high definition & faster speed as well as smaller sound stage, both of them sing in a neutral way to impress you

My conclusion:

If you already have balanced output to drive headphone and want to try Japanese headphone, you can consider HP53-FB for a trial with lower price to get similar SQ as
D7000/W5000.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 12

I tried them once again at a different date (again with the HD53N) and they still sounded quite bad compared to the Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II which is my favourite dynamic headphone.

Since my system is different from your system as I use Japanese DAC & CDT as well as Chinese balanced amp, so the different feeling about HP53-FB between us is a must.

Until now, I am still unable to find any significant deficiency of CEC HP53-FB except sound stage when it compare with ATH-W5000 & HD650.

I can only ensure that HP53-FB reflect your source harshly and sing in a traditional Japanese style with unqiue C.E.C. home sound.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the offer but I am over the moon with the HD250II as they don't sound anything like these, maybe I have a defective hearing or something 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back