CDP With a Future
Jan 21, 2003 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the market for a new Redbook CDP (Holding off on DVD-A or SACD for now, maybe next year). I am looking for a reasnably priced ($200-300) Redbook player, used is fine if it'll get me better quality. Something that could be a nice transport down the line would be great.

Scott

Jan 21, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 26
Might I suggest:

NAD 541
Pioneer Elite PD-65
Marantz 6000SE
Cambridge Audio D500SE

which are all in the used market for that price, sound quite good on their own, or as a transport. I personally have reservations about buying used CDP's though (moving parts wearing), but there isn't much as good as these for $200-300 brand new.

Jan 21, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 26
I was thinking the same a few years ago and settled on a Sony CDP-XA20ES after considering some much more expensive stuff.

This is a real sleeper. It's almost as good as the Stereophil-approved $3000 XA7ES and much, much cheaper, nicely overbuilt, has a 5 yr warranty, and should be good for a transport (I haven't used it with an external DAC, but I do make nice digital dubs from the optical out). The variable headphone jack is very acceptable too.

Jan 21, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
Might I suggest:

NAD 541
Pioneer Elite PD-65
Marantz 6000SE
Cambridge Audio D500SE

which are all in the used market for that price, sound quite good on their own, or as a transport. I personally have reservations about buying used CDP's though (moving parts wearing), but there isn't much as good as these for $200-300 brand new.

I would add to this list the Adcom GCD-575...I love mine, and it's built like a tank. It makes a good, solid stand-alone player, and an excellent transport.

Jan 21, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 26
Can the Adcom play CD-R/RW?

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
just get some cheapie cd rom with a coax out, and hook it up to an external DAC.

Then that begs the question, what DAC?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 26
I would stay away from the Marantz CD6000OSE. Marantz players in that general part of their line (CD4000, 5000, 6000, and 63/67se) are not reliable and are prone to break down without abuse in short time. My CD6000OSE broke down after a year and a half of use after having been bought new.

Jan 21, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Can the Adcom play CD-R/RW?

Not RW, but plays most every R that I've ever put into it.

Jan 21, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Not RW, but plays most every R that I've ever put into it.

Thanks, I think I may keep an eye out for one on ebay. The start of a home listening station.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 26
hmmm, thanks for the warning, DanG. i was considering buying one of those used Marantz units.

are you basing that on only your experience, or has there been other occurences of problems with those players by other headfiers?

I am considering replacing my source, a Marantz 5 disc, and was thinking of picking up another marantz for simplicity sake (i could use my integrated's remote, and want the CDP to have similar sound as my int amp...so i assumed the same brand would help there)

any suggestions?

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 26
This is based on my own experience as well as that of Duncan who I believe had the 67se and the line outs broke (though apparently the coax out still worked). It's not a well-build unit in any case, even uses up more space than my Meridian while being lighter, flimsier, and just worse.

I really think you should look elsewhere; even the top-of-the-line Marantz SA-1 SACD player was considered to be a very breakage-prone machine. But if you have a higher budget than a few hundred bucks, the newer SACD players (SA-12, SA-14) are supposed to be quite good and even (gasp) reliable.

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I would add to this list the Adcom GCD-575...I love mine, and it's built like a tank. It makes a good, solid stand-alone player, and an excellent transport.

Yes, definitely, my GCD-575 sounds terrific despite its age. I do not know why this player has not become a classic. It still sounds superb and it's build quality is better than anything you could buy until you reach probraly the six hundred dollar plus range. It has never been unable to read a CD-R, and as far I can remember has never even skipped. Incredible but true.

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 26
I had a used 67SE and the transport went. It lost tracking after 3 to 10 minutes of play, quite a shame really though the players have a nice sound to them and decent build for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back