CDP With a Future
Jan 23, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 26
I think I'll be seeking out the Adcom, sound like decent bang for buck, thanks all for your input.

In a similar vein, are their any other decent DAC solutions besides the Art DI/O, but in the same price range?

Scott

Jan 23, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 26
What about the Sony SCD-CE775? I got this open box for $100 from circuit city. Sounds fine to me, and from what I've read about it on these forums, other people agree!

Fantastic deal anywhere under $150.

Oh yeah, it plays sacds too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
What about the Sony SCD-CE775? I got this open box for $100 from circuit city. Sounds fine to me, and from what I've read about it on these forums, other people agree!

Fantastic deal anywhere under $150.

Oh yeah, it plays sacds too
smily_headphones1.gif

When did you pick this up? I've check several near where I live and they are long out of them.

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 26
I picked mine up around 2 weeks ago. YMMV, of course.

Jan 23, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
This is based on my own experience as well as that of Duncan who I believe had the 67se and the line outs broke (though apparently the coax out still worked). It's not a well-build unit in any case, even uses up more space than my Meridian while being lighter, flimsier, and just worse.

I really think you should look elsewhere; even the top-of-the-line Marantz SA-1 SACD player was considered to be a very breakage-prone machine. But if you have a higher budget than a few hundred bucks, the newer SACD players (SA-12, SA-14) are supposed to be quite good and even (gasp) reliable.

Not a well-built unit compared to the Meridian? no kidding Dan, they're not exactly in the same price range. The CD6000 is notably better built than equivalently-priced units like the D500SE and c521. You get what you pay for; it's not any less or more reliable than any other entry-level CD player..mine performed flawlessly until I sold it.

Jan 23, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
I think I'll be seeking out the Adcom, sound like decent bang for buck, thanks all for your input.

In a similar vein, are their any other decent DAC solutions besides the Art DI/O, but in the same price range?

Scott

I really like the MSB Link dacs. I've got the II, which is supposed to be sonically identical to the III (but not as upgradeable). I see them used starting at around $150.

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #22 of 26
I second the Adcom suggestion. I have a lot of Adcom components, (2)CDP, amp, preamp, tuner, AC, all purchased used, all sound great and never a problem. I haven't heard the 575, but I have a 700 & 750 and love them. If you get a 575, you can add the 600DAC later for under $200, or the 700DAC (HDCD) for under $300, based on what I've seen on Audiogon lately. All Adcom gear seems to be built VERY well.

Jan 23, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Not a well-built unit compared to the Meridian? no kidding Dan, they're not exactly in the same price range. The CD6000 is notably better built than equivalently-priced units like the D500SE and c521. You get what you pay for; it's not any less or more reliable than any other entry-level CD player..mine performed flawlessly until I sold it.

All I can see is that many people have had problems with their units which occurred far too early for a "reliable" unit. It seems like all home decks built nowadays under $500 are pieces of crap.

And what do you consider to be good build quality? Is it based upon what the unit looks like? Lots of people seem to think that makes a difference. Build quality has to do with quality and reliability of transport, how well the unit can withstand vibrations, the quality of the connections inside the unit. These were all quite crappy inside my Marantz and I'm just happy to have a real CDP was all that I'm saying. I haven't seen the NAD or Cambridge, but the NADs were recently upgraded to the 521i and 541i which are supposed to be of higher quality. I just don't see any reason nowadays to buy some piece of crap like the Marantz CD6000

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
All I can see is that many people have had problems with their units which occurred far too early for a "reliable" unit. It seems like all home decks built nowadays under $500 are pieces of crap.

And what do you consider to be good build quality? Is it based upon what the unit looks like? Lots of people seem to think that makes a difference. Build quality has to do with quality and reliability of transport, how well the unit can withstand vibrations, the quality of the connections inside the unit. These were all quite crappy inside my Marantz and I'm just happy to have a real CDP was all that I'm saying. I haven't seen the NAD or Cambridge, but the NADs were recently upgraded to the 521i and 541i which are supposed to be of higher quality. I just don't see any reason nowadays to buy some piece of crap like the Marantz CD6000

Funny you should mention the transport, Dan, since pretty much every budget CDP uses the same Philips transport. I agree that sub-$500 players in general are built nowhere near as well as Meridian units, but am saying that the Marantz is definitely better built than any other unit in that price range. Here's a picture of the CD6000OSE's interior: http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/oseinside.jpg .. note the chassis crossbrace, copper-plated HDAM modules and neat wiring..now compare that with the Cambridge D500SE's interior: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ca...-d500se_e.html ....

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 26
I own a dying Marantz CD6000OSE. It's about 3 years ago, and has probably seen 5000 hours of use.

I thought adding the MSB Link III DAC was a big step up from the Marantz's DAC. If I were to do it again, I would have purchased the MSB and a cheaper transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back