cd3000 + xp-7 = No-No?
Dec 15, 2003 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dMoog

New Head-Fier
I've been discussing this quite a bit with user Adamzuf. Adam tried this rig with his upgraded DI/O and thought it sounded bad. However, I'm under the impression that the cd3000 + a good solid-state amp (xp-7, or why not the Corda HA-1 mkII?) would be a pretty nice setup for most kinds of music.

What I'm currently looking for is more bass, soundstage, and a little more oomph than what my current main rig offers (see below), so I'm thinking of changing the amp as well as upgrading the cans.

Any opinions on this whole matter? Adam, if you have time, please post your opinions here so that everyone can take part of our rather interesting discussion.

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, I can tell you that the XP-7 (especially with AD797 op-amps) sounds just great with the Sony R10s (the flagship model from which the CD3000 is descended). I feel I had a chance to hear the XP-7 at its best, and it's not far from the HR-2, which I own and love. If you do a search, you can find my review of the XP-7, (look for the "Director's Cut"). Bass is phenomenal with XP-7, and so is soundstaging.

Mark

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 18
I do not think Adam ever said that it sounded bad. My interpretation of what he said was that to his ears (very sensitive to noise according to Adam) he heard some sibilance. He also states that as far as he knows no one else has noted this in any of the reviews.

To say that the XP-7/CD-3000 are a bad match based on one reviewers comments would be doing a disservice to the amp and the headphones IMO. I am in no way attempting to downplay what Adam heard, but I think it is only fair to look at the total picture. You will find many people who have the CD-3000 and the XP-7 are very happy with it. You are going to hear detail, a lot of detail, no question about it, but in my setup it is not sibilant. I have listened to the CD-3000 and the XP-7 using several sources and it is my opinion that the XP-7 passes on exactly what it gets.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 18
Yea sorry, i edited my message, i thought he was picking on it... I misread (sorry adam).

The art dio might have something to do with the precieved brightness? I can only say i felt my cd3000 uncomfortable when using the nad541, which was bright as hell..

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 18
i have to agree with John. it's true that i'm the only one.

the combo, to my ears, is bad.. what can i do. even if the sound is good in some recordings, it's too fatiguing overall. i recieved comment from one head-fier that the HR-2 was too detailed for him with the sonys, prior to my XP-7 purchace.
what surprises me, is that i never heard sibilance out of my CD3000 before..

mjg,
the DI/O is on the warm side of neutral. very nice source. no sibilance problems ever. it's a modded one, BTW, so don't consider it low end source or something alike.
heck, i listened to two $$$$ sources today (but not with the porta corda, but with the RA-1), and these combos didn't do anything special that i can't remember from the DI/O's performance. maybe i need more time and recordings to evaluate, but i didn't need much time to know what i think about the XP-7 + CD3000..
wink.gif

another issue that i've already discussed in the thread i gave you a link to, is the "need" for a killer source with a portable amp. i have no intention to discuse it anymore, just read and reach your conclusions.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Adam, did you ever try the AD797 op-amps in the XP-7? IMO, as I noted in my review in more detail, I felt their top-end was preferable to that of the stock AD825s.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 18
tried both of these op-amps. it didn't hit the "sweet spot" (or should i say, "bitter spot"?
tongue.gif
)

Dec 15, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 18
My boss has a very nice setup and we did some comparisons using my Phillips player in place of his Ayre CX-7. One thing that was readily apparent was that the Ayre was a far more detailed source than mine. Based on a few hours listening I felt that it was too detailed. We talked about it in the days following the listening and it is his opinion that you really need to let the ultra detailed systems grow on you. Once your ears become accustomed to it he says you begin to appreciate the soundstage and completeness of the recording.

When I got my Meridian I heard the same detail that I had experienced with the Ayre. Once it was burned in and my ears accustomed to the sound I really liked it. When your ears are not use to the detail you need to give it time. I now know what he was talking about. Perhaps some of this is the detail that some of the systems exhibit.

Dec 15, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 18
hey, you can get used to a certain sound only if you are able to listen long enough in order to do that
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 18
Adam and I chatted about this as well, I drive my CD3000's with the XP-7. Adam mentioned hiss and some sibilance, neither of which I have at all.

I was wondering if there may have been something"off" with his XP-7. My setup is extremely neutral sounding. It may be mistaken for dull, but it's seemingly flat in frequency response, yet with detail galore, great tight bass, and extended highs without ANY sense of harshness. I also turn up the volume withno music playing, and there is nothing coming from the phones.

I think some folks have blamed front end or cables for brightness on the Sony's. They may be rigt, I don't know. I only know my experience.

Other thoughts I have had include AC conditioning, and EMI/RFI grunge, especially if the headphone amp is close enough to the digital player. Lots of noise can eminate from there.

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by skullguise
.......I was wondering if there may have been something"off" with his XP-7. My setup is extremely neutral sounding.

I heard Adam's XP-7 after it was returned and there was nothing wrong with it to my ears. I listened to it with a Meridian player and CD-3000's. It sounded exactly like the others I have heard. I know Adam heard what he heard but I do not think the amp was the source. Maybe, what was heard has always been there and the XP-7 allowed him to hear it. This is conjecture though as I have no way of listening to Adam's setup.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by skullguise
Adam and I chatted about this as well, I drive my CD3000's with the XP-7. Adam mentioned hiss and some sibilance, neither of which I have at all.

always dead silent?
Quote:

I was wondering if there may have been something"off" with his XP-7.

ray tested the amp himself before he sent it. he uses the CD3000 as well, IIRC. he might not have noticed it or something.. because it sounds great with the DT880. maybe he didn't use the CD3000 to test the amp.
Quote:

I think some folks have blamed front end or cables for brightness on the Sony's. They may be rigt, I don't know. I only know my experience.

i think that's its very rare for cables to really solve problems. they are meant to do more of the final tunings.
Quote:

Other thoughts I have had include AC conditioning, and EMI/RFI grunge, especially if the headphone amp is close enough to the digital player. Lots of noise can eminate from there.

i checked on that one, it didn't help.

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I heard Adam's XP-7 after it was returned

How
confused.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back