CD3000 vs HD600 question
Sep 3, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Is this the same williamgoody I know? What did I miss???
tongue.gif

Two or three more CD3000 listening sessions and he will be done and ready to go, right? The "medication is curing" another member, thanks God we all have a cure
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eh, but where is mine? Too bad, none yet....

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 41
MusicLover,

The CD3000s have arrived!

Now remember, this is out-of-the-box, zero burn-in and sprinkled with a liberal amount of new toy giddiness very first impression.

Sorry, I don't have any Trance but I seem to have a "couple" of Rock CDs laying around. I did a quick comparison with Santana's rendition of She's Not There and Jeff Healy's cover of Yer Blues. I'll be the first to admit that the 600s aren't exactly the consummate R&R headphones but believe me, they don't suck either.

The 3000s are definitely faster and somewhat brighter than the 600s. They're a lot more dynamic, imparting more slam and impact. They tend to be a hair harsh but I'm thinking that they'll calm down a little with burn-in. These cans have got a lot of potential and I'm anxious to hear what they evolve into. Besides Rock, I listen to a lot of Jazz and some Classical and I'm hoping that these will be the headphones that do it all well. After they've settled down a little, I plan to do a full comparison of them and my 600s and my RS-1.

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #18 of 41
OneMalt,

That's definitely great news. I know they are not fully burned in yet, but how are they with clarity and instrument separation?

Have fun with you new toy!
3000smile.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 41
hmm i'm also curious as to how the CD3000 fares against the HD600 in terms of soundstage depth
smily_headphones1.gif
... if it's not too much trouble to compare, does it become more easily congested on complex musical passages? does its closed (or "semi-closed") design leave any sonic traces/resonances?
thanks & congrats on getting the cd3ks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 41
MusicLover & kcits,

So far, the soundstage hasn't really wowed me. Maybe it's bloated expectations after all I've read about the famous 3000 soundstage or perhaps they just need to be burned in.

OTOH, detail is all you've ever heard about. I've picked up sounds and instrumental passages that I never heard before in some very serious listening sessions with my 600s and RS-1s and music that I'm very familiar with.

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
MusicLover & kcits,

So far, the soundstage hasn't really wowed me. Maybe it's bloated expectations after all I've read about the famous 3000 soundstage or perhaps they just need to be burned in.

OTOH, detail is all you've ever heard about. I've picked up sounds and instrumental passages that I never heard before in some very serious listening sessions with my 600s and RS-1s and music that I'm very familiar with.

OneMalt:
Let them burn in for a while and let your ear get used to their sound, and you will tell me in a few days.....YOU WILL LOVE THEM TO DEATH!!!!!! Be careful, the next step is toooooooo expensive...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Be careful, the next step is toooooooo expensive...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Trust me, I know this one personally.

As to the soundstage, it is a direct product of how big of a soundstage the amp throws. An amp like the RKV or others with an expansive soundstage will bring this out more and more. In the time I compared the two cans I found that the difference was pretty big. Congestion went away as soon as I donned the Sonys again.

Sep 4, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Trust me, I know this one personally.

As to the soundstage, it is a direct product of how big of a soundstage the amp throws. An amp like the RKV or others with an expansive soundstage will bring this out more and more. In the time I compared the two cans I found that the difference was pretty big. Congestion went away as soon as I donned the Sonys again.

SIE you were thinking about the HP-1000, or electrostatics, right? (I was thinking on the Big Brother, the King) but at the end either way is the same a way tooooo expensive.....(at least for me)

Sep 4, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

SIE you were thinking about the HP-1000, or electrostatics, right? (I was thinking on the Big Brother, the King) but at the end either way is the same a way tooooo expensive.....(at least for me)

I was thinking that the next step is into insanity price wise. If the Sony CD3K isn't there for you, and comfort is an issue, the leaves you with a couple of options: Stax or the Sony R10. That is unless you find the Grado HP-1000s comfortable for long-term wearing. I didn't, and that left me with one option: Stax. The R10 + a really good amp was just too expensive. I got the Omega II and KGSS for about what the R10s cost, so I am happy and done. I am so happy with the 404s that if the Omegas are any better you won't see me looking at anything else other than a few cables to see how I can tweak things a bit.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 41
BTW how is the bass extension compared with the CD3000 on the Omegas SIE? Do you think they will be a good option for Rock in general?

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

BTW how is the bass extension compared with the CD3000 on the Omegas SIE? Do you think they will be a good option for Rock in general?

Sovkiller,

I don't know as the Omegas are still sitting in California awaiting someone to bring them down to me. So far the 404s have a pretty decent amount of bass, but nothing like the sony CD3K. There are some really good bass notes, but I think they don't have the extension or punch of the Sonys, but they have a lot more than I imagined an electrostatic would have. A lot more.

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
MusicLover,

The CD3000s have arrived!

They tend to be a hair harsh but I'm thinking that they'll calm down a little with burn-in.

They will definately improve day by day. Just wait till you get past hour 100...you will never want to be without your Big Grays....I have my third pair on the way...hopefully today.

John

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
I have my third pair on the way...hopefully today.

Three pairs?! I think I remember you saying that you had a second one for backup, but why a third?

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
Three pairs?! I think I remember you saying that you had a second one for backup, but why a third?

I've owned them one at a time.
3000smile.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back