CD3000 Vs. AT W1000???
Jul 20, 2004 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

king896

100+ Head-Fier
I have an interesting dilemma, right now I have enough money to purchase a used pair of AT W1000 (the wood series from those confused) or I can wait 2 weeks and pick-up a pair of Sony CD-3000. I just want to see the general opinion between these 2 phones if the AT W1000 can be had for $70 less then Sony’s. These phones are going to be used from an Emu 1212 sound card through a Bada hybrid tube amp. I am looking for a comfortable fit, because these will be used at night while lying on a pillow. The sound I am looking for is a sweet midrange with a lot of details, but not a sharp piercing high that I have heard could come from the CD-3000 without the right equipment. Also can someone explain to me the "colored" midrange of the AT W1000? Thanks alot

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 16
The CD3000, while very very comfortable, aren't that good lying down. They used to slide off of my head each and everytime. I had to come up with a complex arrangement with pillows.

That said, I much prefer the CD3000 sound over the W1000 (what I've heard at a meet). Depends a lot on the music type and what you are looking for in terms of sound.

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 16
while i owned both cans in the past - i did like the cd 3000 better than the w1000 - (used with a rega planet 2k,gilmore v2 and a meta 42).

Jul 20, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 16
For in bed listening, I would take the w1000 over the cd3k. They are more comfortable and sound great. If you wanted to rock out, or analyze your music, then the sony's would be a better phone, but for your purposes you would be alot happier with the AT.

As for the definition of colored, I always took that to mean that the sound is a touch away from neutral; almost as if the sound was passed through a sophisticated effects processor that left just a tint of "something" to the sound signature. I am sure someone alot better with obtuse metaphors can explain it better. Scientifically I would guess phase shift, but I'm not a scientist.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 16
I also own both cans and I would prefer the CD3K's over the W1000's if it pair up with the right amp. As you have mentioned the CD3K's tend to be on the bright side if it isn't paired with the right amp. With your tube amp it should eliminate the brightness of the CD3K's. Compared to the W1000's, the CD3K's sounded a little better IMO. The W1000's sound compared to the CD3K's sound was a little lifeless and uneventful. As for being comfortable both cans are very comfortable. I'm able to lay down on my pillow with both pair of cans but it's a little more comfortable laying down with the W1000's because the wooden enclosures doesn't protrude out as much as the CD3K's.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 16
king,
from my experience, both cans can be extremely harsh in the high end without the right synergystic amplifier and source. after first purchasing my ATH-W1000, i ran them off of a cheapo Sony DVD/CD player and the highs made my ears almost bleed! upon taking home the CD3000 for a few weeks and using them with the same player, i found the same exact results as i did with the W1000's. only with the CD3k's, the harshness resulted more from a volume/db/over-exaggeration problem as opposed to a sibilance/ssss sound problem. granted, the CD3k still had the sibilance/sssss/screechy problem, but to less of an extent as with the W1000's had. in conclusion though, with the wrong setup, both had a high end that was the worst i've ever heard with any headphone. after i paired them both with a different cd player (Rega Planet 2000), and a darker amplifier, the CD3000's remained the brightest of the two headphones (in my relative opinion) whlie the W1000's tamed up in the high end, but still maintained their detailed delicacy. so for your situation, i would try the ATH-W1000, and then just re-sell them for a little loss if you end up not liking them. all in all, i don't think you could go wrong with any phone. despite their potentially treble brightness, they are still superb phones that work very well, when run correctly, in the "pleasing the listener" category
biggrin.gif
it is also worth mentioning that you should take my opinions based on the fact that my favorite type of sound, of which i reference all phones to, comes from the Sennheiser HD650 type of house sound.

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 16
Both of these phones are quite heavy, so there's no guarantee that they'll stay comfortably on your ears if the primary means of support they provide (i.e. hung from the top of the head) is relieved. The W1000's have a bendable headband (don't go crazy with it though) which allows you to add or subtract on-ear pressure, so you might be able to get a better lying down fit that way.

You didn't mention a preferred music style, but the W1000 is generally the thinner and screechier (if I was being exaggerating) of the two. It's light on the bass, has extended trebles and a wide soundstage but somehow it doesn't feel all that well placed. It's a very clean sound, and worked well for me as far as Early Classical Music was concerned. I had no problems listening to anything else with it in isolation, but compared with the CD3K there was not much contest with other music styles. I don't believe the midrange of the W1000 is that 'coloured'. In fact I think as a sharp/precise feeling headphone, the mids fit quite well into the overall sound.

The CD3K is a much better all-round headphone, but it's quite lumpy in the lows and can feel occasionally leaden in comparison with the W1000 with classical music employing instruments which bleed sound into the mid-bass. The same lumpiness however can lend authority to rock and operatic music styles. The soundstage of the CD3K is wel known around here, and it provides excellent instrument placement.

As a headphone, I prefer the CD3K. For comfort, I prefer the W1000 because due to the size of my head, the CD3K put intolerable pressure on the top of my head.

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Other: HD650

Jul 21, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Pillow muffling open vent of HD650... wouldn't be very smart.

Hum now that I started thinking about it, I might get the HD650s.... I can get them for cheaper from headroom and they have a 30 day warrenty if I don't like them. I am not actaully sleeping with them on, I just want to wear them before falling asleep. I have a question though, (these are my first open headphones) if I have a loud air conditioner about 10 feet from me, will it really effect the sound or will it just be noticable when there are silences in the music.

Forgot to metion my listening preferances. They are Progressive Rock, Jazz, Classical, and Death Metal.

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by king896
I have a loud air conditioner about 10 feet from me, will it really effect the sound or will it just be noticable when there are silences in the music.

If yours is as loud as mine is, you need closed cans at least and may be better off with canal phones, not to open up a whole other can of worms...

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 16
already own E5s for 2 years, I am doing this to try and get something totally different.

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 16
It was a close call for me between these two phones because they sound quite different from each other. To my ears, the 'sometimes' overly bright high end on the CD3000's is what spoils an otherwise excellent set of cans. Just when you're getting into them, you bump into a bad recording and they reveal is all to you. The W1000's are not without their problems, but nothing as glaring. If you can get a pair of W1000's for $70 less, I'd say go for it because their resale value should hold quite well. I believe they may be on the endangered species list, but not yet extinct (i.e., still in production, but maybe not for long).

Edit: I forgot to finish my thought. The "full woody" job that I got done on my CD3000s is what saved them for me. This involved a cable repalcement (to a sliver cable) and wodden earcups; the improvements were dramatic and in exactly the areas that needed it most. The tendency to be overly bright on certain recordings is now completely gone, and the bass has tigthened up considerably (it can be a bit muddy on the stock CD3000s). The woody job would take your CD3000 purchase out of your budget for now, but it would provide an upgrade path; if you enjoy the CD3000s stock, you will love the woody mods!

Jul 21, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Pillow muffling open vent of HD650... wouldn't be very smart.

I do 99% of my listening laying in bed with my head on pillow. All done with HD650. No problem at all. Maybe you had the pillow over your head??? You might want to try it the other way around.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back