CD storage in small spaces (cd wallets?)
Sep 25, 2002 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
I live in a pretty small apartment, and I don't have room to keep all of my CD's all out in their jewel cases. I'm looking into other options, mainly ones that don't suck.
All CD wallet's I've tried haven't worked out so well. I want my CD's to stay in perfect condition, and if even a speck of dirt gets in a wallet, you're talking scratches.
CD storage racks really don't conserve space.
Are there any other options available? Or any wallets that don't scratch CDs?
Thanks for the help.

Sep 25, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 11
how about shelves? or in those wooden racks and slide them under your bed or something? also, those singles jewelcases are very slim. not enough room for the booklet and all, but about half as thick as regular cases.

but I'd rather look for a more space-conserving way to store clothes or something than CDs!

Sep 25, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 11
I really don't see what the problem is with wallets. After that thread a while back wherein everyone whined about their discs getting scratched going in and out of wallets, I check mine -- no scratches, even microscopic ones. I don't see how a disc could possibly get any more scratched in a felt-lined wallet than in a plastic jewel case. ...

kerelybonto

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
I don't see how a disc could possibly get any more scratched in a felt-lined wallet than in a plastic jewel case.

When you slide a disk in and out of a wallet, it comes in direct contact with the lining; sometimes the lining is too rough, sometimes there is dirt caught in it. Either way, it can scratch the CD, especially over time.

Jewel cases, on the other hand, don't touch the CD surface at all. The spindle of the case is raised so that when the CD is put into the case, the data area of the CD is never touching the case itself.

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm already conserving space, my clothes are under the bed :p
Can't really do shevles in this place, so that doenst work either.
The slim jewel cases aren't too bad, but I want to keep all the booklets readidly available too, so that doesn't help much. Anyhow, then you can't really read the spine of the case to see what CD it is.

I was afraid I wouldnt find anything
frown.gif
Let me know if you can think of anything else.

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm rather in the same boat myself right now. Some of the Asian imported CDs and game soundtracks I've been buying recently just cost an arm and a leg, and I don't want a single scratch on them. And seeing some of the scratches on some of the CDs I have in binders is making me think about building a shelf or something.

I kinda think (sorta) like jude for this one...if I know it's a CD that'll be in production for quite a while and is readily easy to find, I'll risk it in a CD binder case. And if it gets screwed up to the point of no return, then just rebuy it. But for now I've just been keeping my expensive import CDs at the bottom of a drawer.

Sep 26, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 11
I've recently taken to copying CD's for everyday use to CDR, and storing the original as an archival copy, which only comes out if I screw up the CDR some way. Seems to be completely legal fair use, as only one copy is made, I own the original, and one is kept for archival purposes only. I don't care if I scratch the CDR's in a portable case, as I can simply throw them out and rip a new one. The key is a good CD recorder (in my case, Plextor).

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I've recently taken to copying CD's for everyday use to CDR, and storing the original as an archival copy

Ahh yes. Memories of copying beloved LP's to Hi-Bias cassette tapes come flooding back...
eek.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Hmm... let's see... i think you should sell your bed and CD's, and get a turntable, some LP's, and a hammock.

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Hmm... let's see... i think you should sell your bed and CD's, and get a turntable, some LP's, and a hammock.

ow yeah, retro all the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back