CD sounds better tan Vinyl!
Oct 16, 2004 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

sacriste

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, for 90% of the people it is that way. Last week I brougth home my mother's old system, to listen my last 20 LPs, because of the madness of vinylmania. What a shame, totally horrid sound. OK, my mother's system is cheap, but so my PCDP and sounds 20 times better. So I remember why the world abandoned LPs, too much hassle, very low quality from low to medium price systems. It seems that you need an expensive setup and some expertise to get a very good analog sound. I pass, I'll trade my last LPs for some goodies to listen my loved CDs and MP3s. Anyone interested?

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 79
yay! be ready for lots of heat - or none at all since you might just be ignored.

biggrin.gif
seriously, though, ditch your mom's old lp system
even a $500 system new sounds better than most cdps in the same price range.

and even a $100 sony turntable, probably the cheapest you can find out there new, outperforms a pdcp, for christsake. just listen to crest of a knave by jethro tull

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 79
We've got a GENIUS on our hands here! Why not leave your CD's laying in the sun, scratch them up, and try playing them on your PCDP 40 years from now. I've obviously just been wasting my money!

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 79
Aww come on guys, lay off the guy. He knows that vinyl CAN sound much better. He just doesn't want to put forth the effort required to achieve that. This is the case with most people.

I'll be the first to admit Vinyl sounds awesome! but I'll also be the first to say it's WAY too much hassle... but then... I don't even want to have to get up to change the CD...
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 79
There are some CDP's out there that sound pretty close to a good turntable, but you'll have to spend some big bucks to get it. I think a good amp can make even a relatively inexpensive CDP sound "analogish".

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
We've got a GENIUS on our hands here! Why not leave your CD's laying in the sun, scratch them up, and try playing them on your PCDP 40 years from now. I've obviously just been wasting my money!

Thanks. I was very explicit about price ranges.
My LPs are in very good shape, no scratching or sun exposure Timmy. Are you interested?

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
and even a $100 sony turntable, probably the cheapest you can find out there new, outperforms a pdcp, for christsake. just listen to crest of a knave by jethro tull

I used to have one, back in the nineties when Sony was of better quality and I remember that some LPs were great and some not, CDs were just more reliable and need it less adjustments.They were EASIER and the quality IN MID OR LOW PRICED systems were very close.

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Yeah, you've certainly done a fair comparison of the two formats there...

Finally, someone is thinking logically here... I'm not alone, Timmy, we have more geniuses here...

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacriste
..............I'll trade my last LPs for some goodies to listen my loved CDs and MP3s. Anyone interested?

What do you have? Wouldn't shipping be expensive?

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Aww come on guys, lay off the guy. He knows that vinyl CAN sound much better. He just doesn't want to put forth the effort required to achieve that. This is the case with most people.

I'll be the first to admit Vinyl sounds awesome! but I'll also be the first to say it's WAY too much hassle... but then... I don't even want to have to get up to change the CD...
wink.gif

Yes, the EFFORT, that's the clue, and they're so BIG AND UGGLY. By the way, you have many things unused, do you want to trade some of them for my sacred, untouchable & perfect sounding LPs? PX-200?

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
What do you have? Wouldn't shipping be expensive?

I have a mail box in Miami, so is like being in US. I have this, made here, but believe me, we were very good in LPs (you know, we have lots of oil, were all rich here), and in nice condition:
cover OK and plastic:
Eric Clapton – Journeyman
Soda Stereo – Canción Animal
Tracy Chapman – Crossroads
Mike & The Mechanics – Living Years
Mick Jones – Mick Jones
Bryan Adams – Into The Fire
Jesus Jones – Doubt
Natalie Cole – Unforgettable
Modern Jazz Quartet
Sarah Vaughan – Dizzy Gillespie – Charlie Mingus – Miles Davis (enciclopedia, the last two)
Eros Ramazotti – En todos los sentidos
Ricardo Montaner – Un toque de misterio

No plastic, but OK:
Ray Buchanan – Second Album (1973)
Paradise 3 ( pop/rock hits from 88)

No cover, but OK:
The Genius Ravi Shankar
3rd Simphony Brahms (Reader's Digest Mono)

Must be good, because I have 800 hondred CDs and keep this LPs in denial of lose them.

I hear bids, Timmy!

Oct 16, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer

Even like that, probably they will sound better than an LP under normal conditions with 40 years over them, the LP deteriorate just for funny, even not playing them will make them sound more scratchy everyday day, not for funny people stopped and will stop using them, day by day....that is the format of the past, and will be that way, why is that so hard to accept for some????

With a 500.00 dollars setup in both formats, there is no way you could hear a LP better than a CD....you need to spend a huge amount of money, to get a decent analog sound, later clenaers, and huge space to keep them, and over this, you have to swap he side of the LP very 45 minutes, want more?......thanks I passed long time ago, welcome to the 21st century!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 79
I am listening to an excellent copy of Blood, Sweat & Tears on an under $400 Goldring GR-1 and it sound pretty sweet to me. Whether it's better than the cd, I can't say. Much of the joy I get from vinyl is the hassle that goes into it, from searching for new records, cleaning them and playing them.

sacriste, I think the grief you got in the thread was due to you making a blanket statement about your feelings for vinyl without substantiating it. You have a right to your opinion, but if your going to post it and not back it up, don't be shocked when someone calls you out on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back