CD player?
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 45
Here's a very high quality CD player:

www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1321415106&/Marantz-CD5003

I had this player and it sounds great. You can add a "super" DAC later if you want. The transport is excellent and should, hopefully, last years.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 45
Adding a quality DAC does make the sound cleaner in my experience. Without the DAC there is more flavor from the CD Player in the sound. With a DAC, the sound is cleaner, but with less presence of the CD Player.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 45
That is actually not true. Even my cheap CD player gives a more complete soundstage and more details to the sound compared to the PC, when both of them are connected to the Yulong D100.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #21 of 45
so basically, cd players add colour to the sound while a dac will provide a truer to source signal?

I don't think you can say that either way. Some players are warmer or brighter than others. Take the Esoteric vs Marantz players. The Esoteric is "supposed" to be just on the right side of neutral where the Marantz slightly warm. The same with DACs. The Musical Fidelity vs Rega are a similar story as the CD players I mentioned above.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 45
This is all so confusing 
confused_face_2.gif
 now im not really sure if i should get a cd player or not since its not necesarily an upgrade but more like a sidegrade which is also dependent on the type of cd player used.

Quote:
Quote:
so basically, cd players add colour to the sound while a dac will provide a truer to source signal?

I don't think you can say that either way. Some players are warmer or brighter than others. Take the Esoteric vs Marantz players. The Esoteric is "supposed" to be just on the right side of neutral where the Marantz slightly warm. The same with DACs. The Musical Fidelity vs Rega are a similar story as the CD players I mentioned above.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 45
Unless your CD player is really bad, it should give a better sound than your PC.
Also, be prepared to spend lots of money on CDs

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 45
I'm slowly buying CDs after I got my new CD Player. Costs a lot to get CDs...big damage to wallet.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 45
I'm slowly buying CDs after I got my new CD Player. Costs a lot to get CDs...big damage to wallet.

I pick up a ton of CDs used on Amazon. GoHastings as done well with me. All of my music is burned from a CD. I've picked up CDs on Amazon as little as $4 shipped.

Garage sales and flea markets are other places. Try Craigslist too.

As for CD players, I had/have a few CD players here and there and I challenge anyone to say that my netbook/server that I use with an out board DAC is inferior to a quality stand alone CDP. f my music is burned from a CD. I've picked up CDs on Amazon as little as $4 shipped.

Garage sales and flea markets are other places. Try Craigslist too.

As for CD players, I had/have a few CD players here and there and I challenge anyone to say that my netbook/server that I use with an out board DAC is inferior to a quality stand alone CDP.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 45
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #28 of 45
Unfortunately I live outside the US...and CDs here are around 15 a piece. But thats not a small price once you add the amount of CDs you have to buy to achieve the same number of songs on your CAS system.

I'm not sure for CDs only, is SA8003 or CD5004 better?

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #29 of 45
I really don't know whether using a dedicated CD player will really be a better soundstage. I have a Samsung HTS and a NAD 716 receiver that my father and I used to play some tunes, frankly I like my PC setup better because I have more options with VST and convenience of digital. The only difference would be the DAC and the fact that my speakers are in the living room otherwise and I can agree that while standalone players were better than onboard audio, they are not as good in modern times with a decent external(or good internal) DAC nowadays for me since I have no high end players yet(or the appropriate room setup/speakers to play them).

CDs are expensive indeed usually with shipping they can cost me approximately 25 usd up to 40 usd per disc OTL which is partially why I don't spent too much on equipment.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #30 of 45
Unfortunately I live outside the US...and CDs here are around 15 a piece. But thats not a small price once you add the amount of CDs you have to buy to achieve the same number of songs on your CAS system.

I'm not sure for CDs only, is SA8003 or CD5004 better?

I'm purely speculating, but from the specs the 8003 has a better DAC chip than the 5004. How much better for Redbook is tough to say. The transports are the same. Also, if you're going to use a separate DAC I would think they'd be equal. I had the 5003 and it was a nice machine. I'm not sure how much better the 5004 is over it, but I would bet it's subtle.

Marantz has a new 6004, a Redbook only player, coming out that's "supposed" to be equal to the 8004. The main differences over the 5004 is a USB input and an upgraded DAC chip. It's going to be priced somewhat between the 5004 and 8004. Just throwing that option out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back