CD Player with Digital Out
May 18, 2017 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wolfmath

Head-Fier
I've been looking for a CD player with digital output, preferably SPDIF/optical. I would like to be able to play CDs, but go through the good DAC that I already own. Does something like this exist, and is it affordable?

May 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 8
May 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 8
How do you like it? Do you use the optical?

it works great -- it's mostly a backup (my cds are all ripped). i'm pretty impressed, particularly with the rock-solid imaging. no experience with optical -- i use the coax connection.

May 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been looking for a CD player with digital output, preferably SPDIF/optical. I would like to be able to play CDs, but go through the good DAC that I already own. Does something like this exist, and is it affordable?

Nearly all fullsize and many midi-size CDPs have digital output, although for the latter optical is more common than coax (one Shanling has only coax though). You can find some of them on eBay if you need anything smaller, otherwise go with the Tascam that was posted above. There's also an Onkyo at around the same price point.

You can save even more money by just using a cheap BluRay player from the nearest electronics store. They're not built anywhere like a Wadia CD transport (transport units have only digital outputs, and even non-Wadia units are more expensive than regular CDPs), but unless you're using speakers and subwoofers that throw soundwaves everywhere, you can get by with just massloading the cheap BluRay player by putting some weight on top. Like the DAC, as long as it doesn't mess up cable management.

May 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Whatever you do, don't get the fake shiz I.e. teac t1, wadia 850, copland 288. There's a list of fake models somewhere.

1430878210306839225.jpg

Where's muh custom non cogging brushless motor, rigid bridge, maglev laser sled, and alloy turn table platter
IMG_6325.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back