CD player as source. is there REALLY a difference???
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
if you have a decent amp and cans, will your source make THAT MUCH of a difference? i'm talking about high-end sources obviously. you know, the "this $2000 cd player is better etc... than THAT $2000 cd player". it might be a stupid question, but i'm really looking for an answer after reading the vintage PCDP reviews. i mean, really???

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 32
I don't know about CD players these days, but definitely with DACs. What do you consider decent headphones and a decent amp? I could hear clear differences with Denon D5000s between a Lavry DA-10 and the Northstar I have at the moment. With Stax gear differences are pretty obvious.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 32
I think the source is the most important part of the system. Put simply, the source makes a huge difference.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 32
Source is the most important part, but only insofar as the quality of the recording. Most differences with CD players seem to stem from the output level - different models and makes have different output. Two different CD players at the same volume level on the same amp can sound different because of this. If you level match digital sources, it becomes increasingly difficult to tell them apart. Don't take my word for it, look at the manufacturer's specs - most differences lie beneath the threshhold of hearing.

There are big differences in manufacturing build quality, aesthetics and reliability. If you want something that looks cool, with lots of aluminum and a sufficiently obscure brand to impress friends who mostly shop at Best Buy, you will pay for the privilege. There might be minor differences in sound quality, but I haven't heard any worth dropping a few thousand for. What I'd like to find is a SACD player built for studio/professional/radio station use. The pro gear tends to be extremely reliable, free of major defects, and affordably priced compared to audiophile gear. It also tends to hold value better and isn't subject to whims of audiophile fashion.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 32
They all have DAC chips inside doing some sort of converting of signals from the processor (serial, I2C, etc. to a standard audio format like spdif) and we all know that different chips sound...different.

The optical output on my Auzen sounds better and more detailed than the optical output of my $300 music CD only Marantz standalone player. The Marantz sounds like a Marantz (smooth and sweet). The Auzen has more headroom and overall detail. This is when using CD's for reference and the Auzen card has a direct connect to the CD tray internally. It makes a difference in terms of sonic signature....now is one substantially better than the other - you would have to decide.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 32
Personally, Im just thinking of using a generic dvd player with coax out, and let the DAC do it's magic
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, Im just thinking of using a generic dvd player with coax out, and let the DAC do it's magic
smily_headphones1.gif

I was doing that for a while with the Oppo's digital out to the Benchmark DAC1- loved it.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 32
For my Hi-Fi I've got a low end Marantz CDP with the digital out to a Tag DAC, I've always wondered if replacing the Marantz with a dedicated CD transport will make any difference. I hardly use discs anymore though as I find Squeezebox just quicker to use and play what I want, rather than spend 20 minutes finding the album I want.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 32
Interesting.... hmmm... as far as I'm considend any CD player who doesn't do any improper resampling or other bad stuff with the digital signal should sound all the same as we are talking digital streams here and aslong as there is no huge jitter or bit flips due to bad reading of the disk or improper downsampling or the like it the small indeferences in the digital to digital parts should definatly be handled by any proper sampling and DAC system in the other end. Now if you use analog outputs from CD-player directly to the analog parts its another story all togther of course. I really woun't do that as you have no control which sampling and DAC system used in the end of the digital part which is critical. Jitter handling etc wouldn't I trust a CD-player with.
I'm a IT engineer student so digital hardware and DAC's is my speciality btw - but that doesn't make me no expert of course
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 32
Emm labs do things differently, Linn say there CD12 is jitter free? There are people trying different approaches Restek also.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 32
In a straight up PC HDD vs my Musical Fidelity A3 CD player, through the same DAC the sound is as the same as I can't tell any difference.
However, if I use the CD analogue outs vs my DAC, the DAC sounds much better (then again it cost as much as I paid for the CD player).
Source is the key.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a straight up PC HDD vs my Musical Fidelity A3 CD player, through the same DAC the sound is as the same as I can't tell any difference.
However, if I use the CD analogue outs vs my DAC, the DAC sounds much better (then again it cost as much as I paid for the CD player).
Source is the key.

Excatly my point.. Except I believe without having heard anything better than some 600-800 USD CD players from denon, NAD etc. that you should spend way more on the DAC than CD reading device as its not expensive to do the latter with digital out well
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source is the key.

Which makes sense because both your pc and CDP are sending a digital signal that your DAC converts. I am not buying into the CDP > PC just yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which makes sense because both your pc and CDP are sending a digital signal that your DAC converts. I am not buying into the CDP > PC just yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well in my case I got a very good pioneer dvd slot-in type drive on my PC which are known to very good with CD jitter etc. Used to be commend when dvd bunders was to expensive yet as the best audio ripping drive both speed and quality. I'll bet with S/PDIF or any of my many digital outs on my audio connections to a good DAC people will not hear any difference VS a CDP and same DAC. For alot of $ maybe a tiny one due to added sample points and such but its tiny even with sharpner ears at best on a good quality CD.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 32
Not exactly a like for like example, but i can tell the difference between my iPod playing AIFF and my CD player through my PH100 and DT990's. I didn't expect to hear a difference when i first started comparing them, but it is there, and it is quite apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back