CD or HD?
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #46 of 53
I sold my last CD player, a MF X-Ray, about 6 years ago. It's all about Squeezeboxen now, although I'm really stubborn & insist on buying CDs rather than downloading. So, most of my CD collection have been spun all of...once...during ripping, but I just like having the physical CD itself on my shelf.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #47 of 53
it all depends on equipment, so I can't decide. I would've voted for HD or CDs just for the convenience and availability.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #48 of 53
HD all the way... especially since i don't even have a cd player
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by vandread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD of course, absolute choice.

it's all about quality. what the point to buy / use expensive rip-off equipment if we still do compromise with the source?

for convenient use, i use mp3 on mobile, but at home, CD is a MUST.

can you please make the case for cd's? in which way the rip phase becomes different from the mass digital burn cd's go through in production? Today, most of the master tracks are stored in a hard drive. Sure, ripping gets a copy of a copy, but I believe a very exact copy of the copy, which once done, eliminates all the jitter cd transports generate, the 1 and 0's become data packets which are error free every single time they are played, and this is not something you can say for cd's....

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD all the way... especially since i don't even have a cd player
tongue.gif

That must make it difficult to get the CD's onto the HD.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestfallen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD mostly.

Listening to music is much more to me than merely hearing the sound. It's almost like a holy ritual: choosing the CD, sitting in my comfortable chair, putting my headphones on, inserting the CD in my CDP, pushing the play-button, looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics; in a word, digging deep into what I regard as the entirety of the work of art.

I do use my computer to find out new music and for some casual listening, but that's on a completely different and more superficial level. To use the food analogy, fast food has its advantages, but nothing beats a well prepared gourmet meal. My 2 cents.

That makes too much sense, in a instant gratification society. In 99, my niece wouldn't listen to a AC DC song, cause it was on tape, & didn't want to wait for me to rewind the tape..

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #53 of 53
Just rip CDs to ALAC for the convenience factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back