CD or HD?
Aug 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #31 of 53
Although HD based is convenient to use with all the music I want at my finger tip, I still use regular old cdp and vinyl rig. One of the reason for that is, I do not have time to sit down and just listen to music very long time at all. At most, 30 minutes or so at a time is all I have during my normal work days that I can dedicate just to listen to music. So having all those music at my finger tip almost becomes moot point at least for me. I do not mind physically place a cd or vinyl record and just listen to its album in its entirety if I can.

For long time, I carried my trusty ol'pcdp and portable amp everywhere along with cd booklet. However, these days, I use my iPod/classic with amp setup on the go much more than pcdp. And I do believe my vinyl rig, cd based cdp sounds better than my HD based setup to me.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #32 of 53
CD of course, absolute choice.

it's all about quality. what the point to buy / use expensive rip-off equipment if we still do compromise with the source?

for convenient use, i use mp3 on mobile, but at home, CD is a MUST.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by vandread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's all about quality. what the point to buy / use expensive rip-off equipment if we still do compromise with the source?

Who, besides you, talk about compromising the source when going non-CD?
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

How is ripped lossless a compromise? And a £200 media streamer a rip-off?

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Lossless isn't a compromise. At that point, the only difference is whether your CD player is better than your DAC...honestly, I can't keep track of my (large) CD collection, and, despite my best efforts, CDs scratch & eventually go bad. Ripping my collection to FLAC (which I'm in the middle of), I have an archival copy of everything, in a perfect copy, and my DAC is good enough, and, hopefully, I'll eventually be able to afford one better than my now-defunct CD player was.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 53
CD mostly.

Listening to music is much more to me than merely hearing the sound. It's almost like a holy ritual: choosing the CD, sitting in my comfortable chair, putting my headphones on, inserting the CD in my CDP, pushing the play-button, looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics; in a word, digging deep into what I regard as the entirety of the work of art.

I do use my computer to find out new music and for some casual listening, but that's on a completely different and more superficial level. To use the food analogy, fast food has its advantages, but nothing beats a well prepared gourmet meal. My 2 cents.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #37 of 53
After i finally talked ,her indoors, into letting me spend £140 of her pension on a V-Dac,she then has the nerve to tell me that it sounds better than my £2,200's worth of Naim CDP.
confused_face(1).gif
Trouble is i have to agree (not while she is in earshot) the 325i's do sound much easier to listen to for long periods.I am keeping the Cd5/hicap,but it gets used less and less.They do look nice on the rack,i must be addicted to the green glow.
atsmile.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestfallen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD mostly.

Listening to music is much more to me than merely hearing the sound. It's almost like a holy ritual: choosing the CD, sitting in my comfortable chair, putting my headphones on, inserting the CD in my CDP, pushing the play-button, looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics; in a word, digging deep into what I regard as the entirety of the work of art.

I do use my computer to find out new music and for some casual listening, but that's on a completely different and more superficial level. To use the food analogy, fast food has its advantages, but nothing beats a well prepared gourmet meal. My 2 cents.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. In a sense, I do with my vinyl collection same way, it's the whole ritual process that I am enjoying as much as pure musical pleasure. To me, it gives me more complete sense of involvement with the way I listen to music.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #39 of 53
I use a computer/USB DAC combo to stream CD-quality audio... so what does that make me?
I also (like right now as I type!) like to listen to vintage vinyl on a cheap set of Altec Lansing satellite speakers.

So, whatever is the most fun, easy and enjoyable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #44 of 53
If you're referring to something like the SB, you're right, but I don't really know anything about them and believe it or not, I've never even seen one of these being demonstrated so I've no idea how good they are or how easy/difficult they are to set up. I'm also embarrassed to say that I do most of my music listening in front of the PC these days
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #45 of 53
If you have a ipod, imagine that next to your Naim, with it accessing music over your wired or wireless lan on the computer.

Naim have Naim net, about £3000. If you want to match the Naim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back