CD mp3 player
Sep 25, 2005 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GunMetal One

Head-Fier
hi all

I need some suggestions about buying a portable CD mp3 player. I still have lots of CDs I listen to and I want to listen to my mp3s too. What's a good model of CD mp3 players with good sound I can get within the range of $100-150?

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 20
I have the Sony D-NE10, it shares a line out with the headphone jack (switchable in the menu), with my portable Pimeta and HD 600's the sound is very detailed, considered to be one of the better PCDP around here and can be found on Ebay for around $115

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 20
I have the Sony D-NE300 and I'm very happy with it. Very good in sound and features. It has good reviews here. Use Search facility ot this forum.

The new model is D-NE319/320.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob2300
Just my oppion, but why buy a mp3 cd player inless it is $50? I mean for a little over $150 you can get a creative zen micro.

O.K so let's see, Sony D-NE10 or NE300 for that matter, compared to my wife's IPod mini, no comparison, the D-NE10 sounds so much more detailed, soundstageing is more defined bass is tighter and also more defined plus lets say seven MP3 albums per disc encoded at 256 Kbps, ten discs could hold 70 albums transported in a CD wallet with a pair of Ety E4p's,(HD600' at home) never has music on the go sounded so dam good, just my opinion, for what it's worth

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199
O.K so let's see, Sony D-NE10 or NE300 for that matter, compared to my wife's IPod mini, no comparison the D-NE10 sounds so much more detailed, soundstageing is more defined bass is tighter and also more defined plus lets say seven MP3 albums per disc encoded at 256 Kbps, ten discs could hold 70 albums transported in a CD wallet with a pair of Ety E4p's,(HD600' at home) never has music on the go sounded so dam good, just my opinion, for what it's worth

Hey, andrew, do you get any hiss at all with the etys? I have a DNE920 with Shure E4s and I have been considering switching to the Dne10 (according to this place it's built in analogue amp is better then DNE20/920's digital one. But there were also some posts that DNE10 hisssssses with quet music on sensitive IEMs... What's your take on this?

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Just my oppion, but why buy a mp3 cd player inless it is $50? I mean for a little over $150 you can get a creative zen micro.

You get the advantage in changing disks when you want to listen to something new. With a Zen Micro, you're tethered by only 5 GB. With a MP3 PCDP, you potentially have unlimited storage. Plus, CD-Rs are cheap to buy these days.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza
Hey, andrew, do you get any hiss at all with the etys? I have a DNE920 with Shure E4s and I have been considering switching to the Dne10 (according to this place it's built in analogue amp is better then DNE20/920's digital one. But there were also some posts that DNE10 hisssssses with quet music on sensitive IEMs... What's your take on this?

Ubijza, do you get zero hiss with Shure E4 and D-NE920 when listening to quiet music etc.?

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

IMHO, a MP3-CD player is very convenient, more than a HD player, just because I can play a normal CD I just got from the store in situ, not having to wait 'til I get home in order to rip it.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199
I have the Sony D-NE10, it shares a line out with the headphone jack (switchable in the menu), with my portable Pimeta and HD 600's the sound is very detailed, considered to be one of the better PCDP around here and can be found on Ebay for around $115

Can you elaborate the thing about line-out a little more? If it has a true lineout, an optical out, plays mp3 and runs on optional AA battery, I think it's not bad at all.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 20
For that price range, I would get the NE920. It has LCD on body (backlit too!), and all the extras (line/optical out, digital amp, remote). If you want slimmer unit, and don't mind not having a screen, then go with the NE10/20. MSRP at $199, but you can find them on sale for around $150 or less.

Another advantage of these Sony AtracCD/MP3 PCDPs is gapless with AtracCD (called seamless), a feature that is facing extinction in the DAP world.

Sep 27, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 20
hey thanks for all the replies, im just wondering if the old iriver imp 550 slim X cd players are worth it. Im still an audio n00b
tongue.gif
, but i've been reading up and asking friends on stuff and the DIY amps, like the pimenta and the CMoy, im just wondering if an iriver imp550 slim X cd player, c-moy amp and (if i can get it with the huge demmand
lambda.gif
) the HF-1 headphones would be a good combo. Idealy I would use the hf-1s at home and buy a traveling pair of headphones for the bus.

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 20
I have an iMP-550, and I've recently fallen in love with it over a year after I bought it. The sound tweaking features work well (EQ's great, and the Xtreme 3D setting really helps with E2c's), battery life's good, it's small, and the line-out's a nice thing to have even if you don't use an amp. However, I'd recommend the iMP-450, because not having any controls on the player itself really gets annoying after awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back