CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,586 of 3,770
To be fair to the PLA13, it does extremely well with rock (post-punk, progressive, classic rock) and just about any genre requiring a punchy and fast bass slam. That's where PLA13 can literally shine. Who knows why HBB has a different opinion on this? At least in his genres they sound better to me than the Tripowin MELE tuned by him. I guess that's why.🫣
I have a huge library of classic rock, they sound great with that! I don't mind them with male vocals and piano either.
What doesn't fit with the PLA13, however, is acoustic jazz, vocal-oriented ensembles, and much of acoustic music in general.
I don't normally touch EQ, but I'll give it a try with the PLA13. Planars usually take EQ well, it's the only way things like the P1 were usable.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #3,587 of 3,770
Had the PLA13 in hand for about half an hour so no final conclusions yet. Out of the box these are BOOMY, but not necessarily in a bad way. I’m listening to Tchaikovsky S No1. and yeah. The bass is everywhere, but it isn’t mushy or poorly defined. It’s just BIG.

The set itself is very plastic. Medium grade plastic. Mine feel like they’re glued together solidly. I think someone already said that they’re kinda of stealth and I agree with that take. They don’t look like premium phones (and they aren’t, so that’s appropriate.)

One nice benefit is that the (NX7? QDC?) type connector fits my TFZ Coco Bluetooth band, so that gives me a new option beyond the TFZ T2 Pro’s that I got with it. I also accidentally ordered a TRN T2 Pro cable with this style connector a while ago and they work on that too.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #3,588 of 3,770
Had the PLA13 in hand for about half an hour so no final conclusions yet. Out of the box these are BOOMY, but not necessarily in a bad way. I’m listening to Tchaikovsky S No1. and yeah. The bass is everywhere, but it isn’t mushy or poorly defined. It’s just BIG.

The set itself is very plastic. Medium grade plastic. Mine feel like they’re glued together solidly. I think someone already said that they’re kinda of stealth and I agree with that take. They don’t look like premium phones (and they aren’t, so that’s appropriate.)

One nice benefit is that the (NX7? QDC?) type connector fits my TFZ Coco Bluetooth band, so that gives me a new option beyond the TFZ T2 Pro’s that I got with it. I also accidentally ordered a TRN T2 Pro cable with this style connector a while ago and they work on that too.

They sure aren't Harmon or neutral bright. Which seems to be the starting point of a lot of the criticisms. If people want an Aria or a heart Mirror, they should go and buy one of those, not the PLA13.

I knew the TFZ connector fitted the BL-03 and that 0.78mm 2 pin connectors fitted TFZ sockets. It's handy to know that a TFZ cable works on QDC sockets. This after I got rid of my only TFZ cable, of course!

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #3,589 of 3,770
They sure aren't Harmon or neutral bright. Which seems to be the starting point of a lot of the criticisms. If people want an Aria or a heart Mirror, they should go and buy one of those, not the PLA13.

I knew the TFZ connector fitted the BL-03 and that 0.78mm 2 pin connectors fitted TFZ sockets. It's handy to know that a TFZ cable works on QDC sockets. This after I got rid of my only TFZ cable, of course!

I’m pleasantly surprised by them. They have more personality than the other Planars. They’re kind of the opposite of the Dioko. Not safe or boring. Big and bombastic.

I’m going to sample some vocal tracks next. Haven’t tried rock or jazz through them yet.

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #3,590 of 3,770

Hmm. I mainly listen to classical music but haven't really auditioned the pla13's very carefully until I read your comment. I don't normally listen to the Tchaikovsky 1, as I played nos. 4-6 so I have fond, intimate memories of those symphonies.

The pla13's low end ruins faithful reproduction of symphonic works, which is a same because the rest of the FR is fantastic for classical music.

Double bass pizzicatti is not meant to have rumble. Lol

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #3,592 of 3,770
Do you have any tips on headphones for full reproduction of symphonic music, pls?
Staying in the planar world, I love the hifiman arya stealth and it's baby brother xs for every genre, including symphonic classical music

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #3,593 of 3,770
CCA PLA13 in my ears now.

In order to make the bass more prevalent, it seems that CCA sacrificed the mids to boost bass overall and killed clarity in the process. Not good for a stock tuning and makes them sound like a $50 or less IEM because of it.

Is there a graph on these yet? Things sound much better if you boost a little in the 1-5kHz range and cut bass from 100-300Hz.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #3,595 of 3,770

In order to make the bass more prevalent, it seems that CCA sacrificed the mids to boost bass overall and killed clarity in the process. Not good for a stock tuning and makes them sound like a $50 or less IEM because of it.

Is there a graph on these yet? Things sound much better if you boost a little in the 1-5kHz range and cut bass from 100-300Hz.
Why they cant just learn to make 100-300hz flatter and boost the bass shelf from 200hz? This is has been bass tuning problem for years, not only KZ but majority, from different class range.

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #3,596 of 3,770
Why they cant just learn to make 100-300hz flatter and boost the bass shelf from 200hz? This is has been bass tuning problem for years, not only KZ but majority, from different class range.
Because bass FR is the most difficult to tune correctly. I mean think about it, it's where driver is doing to most work and pushing the most air.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,597 of 3,770
Because generally with Single Driver configs you have to make a choice of being a basshead (compromise the mids) or a midhead and compromise the bass.

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,599 of 3,770
Because generally with Single Driver configs you have to make a choice of being a basshead (compromise the mids) or a midhead and compromise the bass.
That wouldn't be the choice. Few midhead earphones. More V and treble boosted than mid forward out there. There are not enough mid forward for my liking. Not that it is that simple anyway. There is more than that and it is more complicated.

I actually just bought a KBEAR Rosefinch for cheap and it is the most mid forward I have heard in a while and is quite bassy where it sounds like it was hit with a warm amp with it's weight and tightness. $12 and I don't think it makes much compromise in bass or mids or treble. It is not a good match for warm devices as it will mask low end detail if you add warmth from both. A bit of a sub bass beast.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #3,600 of 3,770

They're using a tried and tested bass shelf 😉
graph (1).png

https://pw.squig.link/?share=PaulWasabii_Target,CCA_PLA13,CCA_CRA_Plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back