CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #3,196 of 3,770
Just recieved the CRA and after listening to it for half and hour out of the box imo it is worth the hype.

However, when the 5khz peak rears it head in tracks it is really noticeable and it'll sound brittle and sibilant.

On tracks where the 5khz peak isn't noticeable, the bass presentation is addictive with GREAT rumble, vocals are just right and treble extension is really good as well.

This is a giant killer no doubt... if only they could tame the glaring 5khz spike.

As it stands, the sibilance kills the enjoyment in quite a number of songs.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #3,197 of 3,770
Just recieved the CRA and after listening to it for half and hour out of the box imo it is worth the hype.

However, when the 5khz peak rears it head in tracks it is really noticeable and it'll sound brittle and sibilant.

On tracks where the 5khz peak isn't noticeable, the bass presentation is addictive with GREAT rumble, vocals are just right and treble extension is really good as well.

This is a giant killer no doubt... if only they could tame the glaring 5khz spike.

As it stands, the sibilance kills the enjoyment in quite a number of songs.
Could you share an example of such a track? I want to listen for it myself.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #3,198 of 3,770
Could you share an example of such a track? I want to listen for it myself.
A great example of a track that sounded amazing until the 5khz peak rears its ugly head is Fleetwood Mac's The Chain

Starting at 0.51 ..... and if you don't love me now, then you'll never love me again...

The tambourine sounds brittle and sibilant.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,199 of 3,770
Just a reminder...I really suggest for everyone to give the CRA's 100 hours to burn in. They get better and more accurate with time with a tamer 5khz peak, while the bass and the treble extends way more than I would have ever expected from a dynamic driver. It's just insane how they're competing with my hybrids with such ease. I never like to mention the word "hype" because it is so redundant in the main stream of being competitive. But, how can you fault these when they sound so near perfect and competitive when compared to more expensive models ranging in the hundreds. Personally, I never heard a 10mm DD sounding like it has the treble details of micro-DD's for that matter. So, for the incredibly cheap price, these CRA are a WIN WIN all the way.

To me, CCA just pulled off the surprise of 2021!

Happy holidays! :beerchug:

-Clear

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,200 of 3,770
I know everyone recommend zp, so would you kindly explain to us how to fix the " Peak" With eq maybe either with wavelet or else?
Yes, PEQ will fix it.

Peak: 4200hz, Q: 2, gain: -3db
Peak: 7000hz, Q: 5, gain: -3db
Peak: 8000hz, Q: 3, gain: -5db
High-shelf: 11 000hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 3db

UAPP, Neutron player and Poweramp has PEQ on android.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #3,201 of 3,770
Just a reminder...I really suggest for everyone to give the CRA's 100 hours to burn in. They get better and more accurate with time with a tamer 5khz peak, while the bass and the treble extends way more than I would have ever expected from a dynamic driver. It's just insane how they're competing with my hybrids with such ease. I never like to mention the word "hype" because it is so redundant in the main stream of being competitive. But, how can you fault these when they sound so near perfect and competitive when compared to more expensive models ranging in the hundreds. Personally, I never heard a 10mm DD sounding like it has the details of a micro-DD's for that matter. So, for the incredibly cheap price, these CRA are a WIN WIN all the way.

-Clear
Hey, I'm coming off a $1000 set (IER-M9) and the CRAs are impressing me still even completely disregrading the price point.

So thats already saying something :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #3,202 of 3,770
Hey, I'm coming off a $1000 set (IER-M9) and the CRAs are impressing me still, completely disregrading the price point.

So thats already saying something :wink:
I listened to the track and the tambourines didn’t bother me as much, although the CRA is certainly one of the leaner sounding sets in my collection. I was swapping between the Sora Light 2019 and the CRA earlier and the CRA is not one to smooth over anything really.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #3,203 of 3,770
I listened to the track and the tambourines didn’t bother me as much, although the CRA is certainly one of the leaner sounding sets in my collection. I was swapping between the Sora Light 2019 and the CRA earlier and the CRA is not one to smooth over anything really.
Perhaps it really is just pre-burn-in blues. I'll update impressions as I continue to burn-in the pair.

They even advocate for burn-in in the manual XD 20211225_144842.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #3,204 of 3,770
Just a reminder...I really suggest for everyone to give the CRA's 100 hours to burn in. They get better and more accurate with time with a tamer 5khz peak, while the bass and the treble extends way more than I would have ever expected from a dynamic driver. It's just insane how they're competing with my hybrids with such ease. I never like to mention the word "hype" because it is so redundant in the main stream of being competitive. But, how can you fault these when they sound so near perfect and competitive when compared to more expensive models ranging in the hundreds. Personally, I never heard a 10mm DD sounding like it has the details of a micro-DD's for that matter. So, for the incredibly cheap price, these CRA are a WIN WIN all the way.

-Clear

When the product life cycle becomes seasonal short nowadays, we will get surprised more often than the old days :dt880smile:

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #3,205 of 3,770
Also the cra peq please if it not too bothering you all🤣🤣

Mine still being captivated by custom

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,206 of 3,770
Perhaps it really is just pre-burn-in blues. I'll update impressions as I continue to burn-in the pair.

They even advocate for burn-in in the manual XD

Haha well I'm not a huge proponent of "burn-in" as a solution to a problem one may have with a set, just as microwaving a cheap TV dinner for longer isn't going to make it taste any better, but I'm really quite liking the CRA for what it is as it continues to sit in my ears :D

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #3,207 of 3,770
Haha well I'm not a huge proponent of "burn-in" as a solution to a problem one may have with a set, just as microwaving a cheap TV dinner for longer isn't going to make it taste any better, but I'm really quite liking the CRA for what it is as it continues to sit in my ears :D
Oh well, it can't hurt to rub in some snake oil if it's free

I've burned in numerous pairs of iems and they do tend to change for the better after an overnight burn-in. The benefits of a 100 hour burn in is more subjective though especially if you are burning them in as you listen, then you're definitely subject to brain burn in already.

I've only had one example of a 500 hour+ "burned-in" iem vs new iem in the form of the JVC FXH-30. The two units I got sounded nothing like each other. Maybe there was a silent hardware revision in the two years since I got the first pair but it was shocking to hear.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,208 of 3,770

I've burned in numerous pairs of iems and they do tend to change for the better after an overnight burn-in. The benefits of a 100 hour burn in is more subjective though especially if you are burning them in as you listen, then you're definitely subject to brain burn in already.

I've only had one example of a 500 hour+ "burned-in" iem vs new iem in the form of the JVC FXH-30. The two units I got sounded nothing like each other. Maybe there was a silent hardware revision in the two years since I got the first pair but it was shocking to hear.
Shocking bad? Still one I wanted to grab if I saw a deal.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #3,209 of 3,770

Well I respect the 2 camps of burn in believers versus detractors.

But I have really seen some companies advising a 200 hour burn in for their manuals for IEMs. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a "get out of jail card" in case the consumer dislikes the tuning. They'll throw the "you haven't burned it in enough" statement on why the IEM doesn't sound good. Once the consumer really follows the 200 hour burn in recipe, a new hypetrain IEM would have come in the mail already (and the old one forgotten) or it is past the returns policy timeframe LOL.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,210 of 3,770
Shocking bad? Still one I wanted to grab if I saw a deal.
Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT iem at its price range and then some.

Definitely a keeper.

Well I respect the 2 camps of burn in believers versus detractors.

But I have really seen some companies advising a 200 hour burn in for their manuals for IEMs. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a "get out of jail card" in case the consumer dislikes the tuning. They'll throw the "you haven't burned it in enough" statement on why the IEM doesn't sound good. Once the consumer really follows the 200 hour burn in recipe, a new hypetrain IEM would have come in the mail already (and the old one forgotten) or it is past the returns policy timeframe LOL.
Perhaps it may trick novice users but I'll say this. If an IEM's tuning doesn't suit you out of the box, no amount of burn in will make you like it.

It'll help smooth out a few peaks and bring out the bass but you won't get a swan out of an ugly duckling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back