CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #3,181 of 3,770
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,182 of 3,770
I still on the buy side or not for this IEM 🤣🤣
Read one atter another reviewers make me hesitate ( order or not)

And still waiting another one go home..
The Zex Pro is a nice try from KZ. A noble failure and a good attempt at creating a new sound signature. I think the hardware is the problem. Maybe better drivers is the key.

I got into IEMs through KZ but the treble has always been an issue for me. My favourite KZ family IEM is still the CCA CA16. I am curious about the CRA which I should receive in a few days, but my expectations are low.

Even though I never EQ I will try the recommended settings for the Zex Pro and see how that sounds but so far nothing is making me want to move away from the Aria. Maybe my KZ days are coming to an end. Who knows.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,183 of 3,770
Dare I ask? What tracks are you guys listening to that brings so much ire about cymbals on ZEX Pro? I don't hear any cymbal problems on rock and alt-rock.

Triangles in Mahler's Fourth are but a distant and subdued artifact and timbre from the strings section suffers from that 10kHz crater. There's a significant rolloff in high treble that isn't easily corrected.

I highly recommend buying a pair of studio phones to retrain your hearing. Flat, neutral, and Harman are all different things. I like a spicy W shape myself. I don't pretend that every earphone must be tuned as such to be considered "good". My strong opinion is that the reader shouldn't, either.

Figure out what you like with EQ on a pair of monitors that have good shape shifting abilities (nearly anything from Beyerdynamic, Shure, AKG, and Sony 7506) and then look for an IEM that fits that profile from the reviews. AKG 240s will educate you about how mids and treble actually sound on recordings and are under $70. K52 are great, too and even cheaper. Those cymbal crashes are likely zesty due to being boosted to compensate for lossy streaming platforms and online sharing, not anything to do with a highly resolving headphone.

Sound engineers often check a mix through Apple buds or Beats. Keep in mind that recordings are mixed to a rule of averages for equipment available in the time period they were recorded, and you've just hooked up an audible oscilloscope with even cheap IEM like KZ and CCA. Before blaming the headphone, consider your materia and cross reference to a monitor, otherwise you're probably just making bad guesses.

Fwiw

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,184 of 3,770
Dare I ask? What tracks are you guys listening to that brings so much ire about cymbals on ZEX Pro? I don't hear any cymbal problems on rock and alt-rock.

Triangles in Mahler's Fourth are but a distant and subdued artifact and timbre from the strings section suffers from that 10kHz crater. There's a significant rolloff in high treble that isn't easily corrected.

I highly recommend buying a pair of studio phones to retrain your hearing. Flat, neutral, and Harman are all different things. I like a spicy W shape myself. I don't pretend that every earphone must be tuned as such to be considered "good". My strong opinion is that the reader shouldn't, either.

Figure out what you like with EQ on a pair of monitors that have good shape shifting abilities (nearly anything from Beyerdynamic, Shure, AKG, and Sony 7506) and then look for an IEM that fits that profile from the reviews. AKG 240s will educate you about how mids and treble actually sound on recordings and are under $70. K52 are great, too and even cheaper. Those cymbal crashes are likely zesty due to being boosted to compensate for lossy streaming platforms and online sharing, not anything to do with a highly resolving headphone.

Sound engineers often check a mix through Apple buds or Beats. Keep in mind that recordings are mixed to a rule of averages for equipment available in the time period they were recorded, and you've just hooked up an audible oscilloscope with even cheap IEM like KZ and CCA. Before blaming the headphone, consider your materia and cross reference to a monitor, otherwise you're probably just making bad guesses.

Fwiw
Still daily driving my ZEX Pro to burn-in or get used to it.
My case with KZs usually took more than few days to get used to the sound.
Trusting crin original sets (haven't tried the optional with bonus foam tips), the cymbals usually in the back unobtrusive. Maybe i'm a bit too conscious of it, but after daily driving Aria for two month it is different.

Then came the case was with spotify ver of this song.

Not exactly my favorite song but its originally from my favorite album of Dir En Grey. and yeah, Dir en Grey recording quality is not the best thing around
the song came after i tried to switch the cable and making mistake with changing into Y*nyoo 16 core that up the clarity/treble and pairing it with CP100 which brings the treble forward. Bad combo.
The cymbal ended overpowering other sounds and its odd tails/decay kinda making the bad impression.

For the most part, the migration from Aria to ZEX Pro kinda makes me aware of the near sibilant and somewhat harsher treble of the latter
Still daily driving zex pro with original equip, once in awhile still be surprised with sibilance and harsh treble in songs that usually smooth in Aria. so yeah.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #3,185 of 3,770
Still daily driving my ZEX Pro to burn-in or get used to it.
My case with KZs usually took more than few days to get used to the sound.
Trusting crin original sets (haven't tried the optional with bonus foam tips), the cymbals usually in the back unobtrusive. Maybe i'm a bit too conscious of it, but after daily driving Aria for two month it is different.

Then came the case was with spotify ver of this song.

Not exactly my favorite song but its originally from my favorite album of Dir En Grey. and yeah, Dir en Grey recording quality is not the best thing around
the song came after i tried to switch the cable and making mistake with changing into Y*nyoo 16 core that up the clarity/treble and pairing it with CP100 which brings the treble forward. Bad combo.
The cymbal ended overpowering other sounds and its odd tails/decay kinda making the bad impression.

For the most part, the migration from Aria to ZEX Pro kinda makes me aware of the near sibilant and somewhat harsher treble of the latter
Still daily driving zex pro with original equip, once in awhile still be surprised with sibilance and harsh treble in songs that usually smooth in Aria. so yeah.

Ok so we're a long way from Mahler here 😂 it's not a judgement - I listen to literally everything!

I queued this up on my Samsung OLED TV and a newer Samsung Android in speaker. That cymbal is pretty dominant on both which means it's been mixed forward in the upper mids and lower treble. AKG 52 same. Sony V6 the same. Heart Mirror definitely sibilant if that's what we want to call it. In the ZEX it's spicy but I wouldn't say it's sibilant.

Having said that, I don't know how we can separate sibilance from noise in a track like this. Isn't noise the point? Who wants smooth treble from thrash metal? The live experience isn't smooth, I can assure you. Why should the IEM be expected to turn tracks like this into elevator music? Speaking as a long time metal head I don't agree that the headphone should be derided as having a fault. There's nothing inherently wrong with ZEX Pro. Check out Venom's self titled album. Its very faithful to the recording.

KZ AST is probably a great match for your library and desire for subdued treble. I've never heard this band before but will explore some more of their catalog. I do listen to a fair bit of j-funk and it's lively on the ZEX Pro but i wouldn't call it sibilant.

All comparisons above on btr3k sans EQ.

Happy holidays in your corner of the world 🌍 ✨

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #3,186 of 3,770
I got CRA (and ZEX pro) now.
CRA are a great pair for ~$12, very nicely made, very respectable overall, but treble is a bit brittle, and hardly worth any hype, IMHO.
-DQ6 are still one level better to my ears, while ZAX & CA16 - two levels.
I could not help getting my new "good old" candy-like IEM:
20211224_125014.jpg

No motivation/desire to open ZEX pro...

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,187 of 3,770
On a scale of 1 to cosmic rays, how much treble is in this future funk track?
:beyersmile: :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: :beerchug:

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3,188 of 3,770
I got CRA (and ZEX pro) now.
CRA are a great pair for ~$12, very nicely made, very respectable overall, but treble is a bit brittle, and hardly worth any hype, IMHO.
-DQ6 are still one level better to my ears, while ZAX & CA16 - two levels.

I have noticed that with you and your DQ6 is either a very good pair or synergy with your devices. I know I liked the Emerald better than the DQ6 I had and a couple of people already said they like the CRA better than the DQ6.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #3,189 of 3,770
I have noticed that with you and your DQ6 is either a very good pair or synergy with your devices. I know I liked the Emerald better than the DQ6 I had and a couple of people already said they like the CRA better than the DQ6.
DQ6 are not my favourite pair, but I do appreciate and respect this tuning, especially for the price.

Emerald are a BA fake, and thus a very good "lithmus paper" for me, as well as "hearing cables".

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,190 of 3,770
DQ6 are not my favourite pair, but I do appreciate and respect this tuning, especially for the price.

Emerald are a BA fake, and thus a very good "lithmus paper" for me, as well as "hearing cables".
Nothing wrong with that some don't like some things as much as others do. Some like them pretty well and others even more. Don't care about the drivers. Actually makes sense as the Emerald is too coherent for it's price so that it is just the dynamic is quite believable.

I found the DQ6 tuning good but a little too safe. 3 drivers and a bit smooth up top not that the third wasn't doing things for the imaging and presentation and other things outside the basic FR.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,191 of 3,770
Nothing wrong with that some don't like some things as much as others do. Some like them pretty well and others even more. Don't care about the drivers. Actually makes sense as the Emerald is too coherent for it's price so that it is just the dynamic is quite believable.

I found the DQ6 tuning good but a little too safe. 3 drivers and a bit smooth up top not that the third wasn't doing things for the imaging and presentation and other things outside the basic FR.
We can definitely agree about "hearing differently".
For the Emerald, CCZ had Coffee Bean - a respectable DD tuming. I do hope that CCZ is a toast by now...

I am a bit surprised to hear that DQ6 feels "safe", to me they are quite BA-reminiscent, and I can see as some would want to tame the treble :)

Finally, for the cables - hearing no difference with iEMatch (both switches) connected to a battery-powered E1DA was so much of a final revelation in a sense that "hearing cables" is such a joke!*

P. S. "Psychoacoustic differences in hearing" applied, of course, as my safe legal clause :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3,192 of 3,770
I already explained it here.

You can have your stance, but my stance is that the IEM should serve the listener and not the other way around, so I will look for and recommend the products that sound good to me (with the types of music I listen to, the sources I like using, and with my particular pair of ears) and critique and get rid of stuff that doesn’t. Simple as that. I don’t see the need to change the way I hear for the sake of an IEM.

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #3,193 of 3,770
I can unironically listen to them (and am actually having them in my ears right now), so for $12 I consider it a success. Will probably keep them and not flip them, which is something I could not say for the past two KZ releases.

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3,194 of 3,770
I know everyone recommend zp, so would you kindly explain to us how to fix the " Peak" With eq maybe either with wavelet or else?

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #3,195 of 3,770
CRA with SendaEarfit Short tips is definitely not bass light. Its mids is warm, airy and transparent with very good extention in highs, sound-stage is huge. CRA's sound is simply a big step-up from BL03 to me.

cra.jpg
Big step up from BL03, huh? I can't wait to compare the two. Now, you have me very intrigued!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back