CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2,686 of 3,770
Is the CCA CC1 new? 1BA + 1DD hybrid TWS.

That battery does not inspire confidence though.
1618843185039.png

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,687 of 3,770
I have been testing the CCA CSN.
This product was supplied for review by Denise of IZ POP at Amazon.com. Product link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08Z8G2314?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The CCA CSN (not to be confused with the similarly named model from CVJ) is the latest in a recent batch of releases from CCA. It is a dual-driver hybrid (1DD + 1BA), the first such design from the company since the CA4. It employs a 10mm dual magnetic dynamic driver for the bass and a "customised" version of the venerable 30095 BA unit covering the upper frequencies, which is is not placed in the nozzle. Based on images online it appears that the DD unit is the KZ XUN design. The quoted impedance is 22.5 Ohms with a sensitivity of 112dB.

The CSN is presented in a small white box similar to those from KZ, TRN, etc., with a colour image of the IEMs on the front of a removable sleeve and some specifications printed on the back. Inside, the earphones are displayed in a cardboard cut-out, and underneath the card are the spare eartips, the 2-pin cable and documentation.

The contents comprise:
* CCA CSN IEMs (1 pair medium tips pre-fitted)
* Silver plated 2-pin cable with QDC connectors
* Spare white silicone eartips (S, M, L)
* Documentation

The IEMs have a silver-coloured zinc alloy faceplate with an engraved CCA logo within a shield-like design and there is a small extended "tail" with a small vent. The body, which is similar in shape to the CA16, is formed from a blue-tinted resin and the raised 2-pin sockets are in a clear plastic. The nozzle is fairly long with a prominent lip to secure the tips. The medium size eartips are pre-fitted. The build is very solid and excellent for the price.

The supplied cable is the standard silver-plated 4-core braided type seen on previous CCA and KZ models. There is a long run from the chunky Y-split to the QDC connectors, which are clear plastic and it is difficult to see the channel identification on them. There is no chin slider so the cable tangles very easily. It is terminated in a right angle 3.5mm plug. The ear guides are quite tightly curved.

The CSN was tested principally using an Xduoo X20 DAP but a CD player and smartphone were also employed. The stock cable was used and a burn in period of 100 hours was carried out before evaluation. As with the CS16 and CA16, I obtained a very good fit and seal with the medium supplied tips. The sensitivity was fine on all sources with no need for additional amplification.

First Impressions
The CSN sounded very good out of the box. The general profile was balanced with solid bass, well detailed forward mids and a smooth treble. The overall profile was W-shaped and the tonality was warm. The soundstage was open, airy and spacious. The powerful bass occasionally dominated the presentation. The overall impression was reminiscent of the CA16.

Bass
The CSN's bass was deep, powerful and well-textured. The emphasis was in the mid bass. Sub bass displayed some rumble, but there was just a little looseness and the bass was sometimes a little overdone. There was some bass bleed into the mids.

"Le Tresor", from "Ixlandia" by Jonn Serrie, is a romantic electronic composition featuring a meandering guitar solo over a lush synthesised backdrop with a very deep bass foundation, typical of this artist's work. The bass was full and deep with a warm tonality providing a solid basis for the piece but it was occasionally a little soft with some lack of definition at times.

"In Church" is a movement from the "Slovak Suite" by Viteslav Novak. In the version by the RLPO under Libor Pesek's baton, the prominent organ part was presented with depth, weight and power, creating a tableau redolent of a ceremonial occasion, with the solo organ nicely balanced with the harp and strings.

Mids
The mids were possibly the best feature of the CSN, being open and forward with very little recession. The timbre was very natural. The lower region was warmer due to the influence of the bass and the upper mids were brighter with an attractive presence, but there was no harshness.

"The Plateau of Mirror" is a classic ambient album by Brian Eno and Harold Budd. The opening track, "First Light" showcases a treated piano lead set against an evocative electronic soundscape. There was plenty of detail here and the balance between the solo instrument and the accompaniment was nigh-on perfect. Layering and separation, so important in this kind of material, was praiseworthy and added greatly to the enjoyment of the piece.

Ryuji Kunimatsu's solo classical guitar in his performance of "Chiquilin de Bachin" by Astor Piazolla sounded very natural with a rich and warm tonality. Details like fingerings were clearly depicted and the ambience of the recording venue was reproduced very well. The woody resonance of the guitar body was convincingly conveyed.

Treble
The treble was bright yet smooth, fairly well-extended and free of peaks. Detail retrieval was good and there was a surprising degree of delicacy on offer, unexpected at this level.

The delicate tones of "Z Op. 1", by Gabor Presser from the album "Electromantic" were testament to the level of detail produced by the CSN. While remaining smooth and free of undue emphasis, the clarity was maintained with the interplay between the various elements well rendered.

Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto No. 3" received a lively and entertaining performance from the Saar Chamber Orchestra under Karl Ristenpart. The bouncy and energetic bass line was nicely balanced by a bright and detailed string section, supported by harpsichord continuo, with everything remaining in focus and only a slight blunting of transients from time to time.

Soundstage
The CSN possessed a soundstage roughly equal in all three dimensions. Although the image did not extend beyond the head, the reproduction of ambience was very good, producing the effect of a larger stage.

"Exogenesis" is a track from "Rosetta" by Vangelis. Deep and weighty sub-bass rumbles formed a foundation for sparkling electronic effects and staccato keyboard runs, all set in a huge acoustic evocative of a space journey. The stereo imaging and panning were very effective.

The brooding quality of Sibelius's "The Swan of Tuonela" was faithfully presented in the wonderfully atmospheric recording by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska. Thunderous bass drum, expressive strings and a haunting cor anglais solo all combined to produce a luminous portrayal in a spacious environment with black silences.

Comparisons

KBEAR KB04
The KBEAR KB04 possesses a warm V-signature with a pleasant well-contoured treble, yet not lacking in detail. It avoids the mid/treble emphasis found in many other models and has a smoother presentation perhaps inspired by the BLON BL-03. The overall profile does resemble that of the CSN but the CSN has more forward mids and a brighter treble and is cooler in tonality.

KBEAR Lark
The Lark is the newest hybrid from KBEAR and has a refreshingly neutral/bright profile with the bass, mids and treble nicely balanced. The upper region is brighter than the CSN but is not harsh. The CSN is more V-shaped and not quite so refined and is a little bit darker but more relaxed. The bass is not as tight and there is some bass bleed which is absent on the Lark.

CVJ CSE
The latest model from CVJ is a little more V-shaped than their previous offerings which were neutral/bright. The CSE has a more balanced profile and a brighter top end than the CSN, but there is some sharpness in the upper mids and treble. The CSN is warmer and has a more "polite" tuning, and is more relaxing to listen to.

Conclusion
After a recent trend for single DD designs there has been a resurgence in affordable dual hybrids with KBEAR's Lark, TRN's TA1, the KZ ZST-X and the CVJ CSE all coming on to the market. The CSN joins this crowded marketplace but by dint of its lively, all-round ability it is a real contender. Its well-balanced and entertaining sound, solid build and excellent value should place it on your shortlist if you are looking for a quality IEM in this price range.
IMG_20210412_153528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_155148.jpg
    IMG_20210412_155148.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210412_155304.jpg
    IMG_20210412_155304.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210412_155500.jpg
    IMG_20210412_155500.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,688 of 3,770
I have been testing the CCA CSN.
This product was supplied for review by Denise of IZ POP at Amazon.com. Product link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08Z8G2314?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The CCA CSN (not to be confused with the similarly named model from CVJ) is the latest in a recent batch of releases from CCA. It is a dual-driver hybrid (1DD + 1BA), the first such design from the company since the CA4. It employs a 10mm dual magnetic dynamic driver for the bass and a "customised" version of the venerable 30095 BA unit covering the upper frequencies, which is is not placed in the nozzle. Based on images online it appears that the DD unit is the KZ XUN design. The quoted impedance is 22.5 Ohms with a sensitivity of 112dB.

The CSN is presented in a small white box similar to those from KZ, TRN, etc., with a colour image of the IEMs on the front of a removable sleeve and some specifications printed on the back. Inside, the earphones are displayed in a cardboard cut-out, and underneath the card are the spare eartips, the 2-pin cable and documentation.

The contents comprise:
* CCA CSN IEMs (1 pair medium tips pre-fitted)
* Silver plated 2-pin cable with QDC connectors
* Spare white silicone eartips (S, M, L)
* Documentation

The IEMs have a silver-coloured zinc alloy faceplate with an engraved CCA logo within a shield-like design and there is a small extended "tail" with a small vent. The body, which is similar in shape to the CA16, is formed from a blue-tinted resin and the raised 2-pin sockets are in a clear plastic. The nozzle is fairly long with a prominent lip to secure the tips. The medium size eartips are pre-fitted. The build is very solid and excellent for the price.

The supplied cable is the standard silver-plated 4-core braided type seen on previous CCA and KZ models. There is a long run from the chunky Y-split to the QDC connectors, which are clear plastic and it is difficult to see the channel identification on them. There is no chin slider so the cable tangles very easily. It is terminated in a right angle 3.5mm plug. The ear guides are quite tightly curved.

The CSN was tested principally using an Xduoo X20 DAP but a CD player and smartphone were also employed. The stock cable was used and a burn in period of 100 hours was carried out before evaluation. As with the CS16 and CA16, I obtained a very good fit and seal with the medium supplied tips. The sensitivity was fine on all sources with no need for additional amplification.

First Impressions
The CSN sounded very good out of the box. The general profile was balanced with solid bass, well detailed forward mids and a smooth treble. The overall profile was W-shaped and the tonality was warm. The soundstage was open, airy and spacious. The powerful bass occasionally dominated the presentation. The overall impression was reminiscent of the CA16.

Bass
The CSN's bass was deep, powerful and well-textured. The emphasis was in the mid bass. Sub bass displayed some rumble, but there was just a little looseness and the bass was sometimes a little overdone. There was some bass bleed into the mids.

"Le Tresor", from "Ixlandia" by Jonn Serrie, is a romantic electronic composition featuring a meandering guitar solo over a lush synthesised backdrop with a very deep bass foundation, typical of this artist's work. The bass was full and deep with a warm tonality providing a solid basis for the piece but it was occasionally a little soft with some lack of definition at times.

"In Church" is a movement from the "Slovak Suite" by Viteslav Novak. In the version by the RLPO under Libor Pesek's baton, the prominent organ part was presented with depth, weight and power, creating a tableau redolent of a ceremonial occasion, with the solo organ nicely balanced with the harp and strings.

Mids
The mids were possibly the best feature of the CSN, being open and forward with very little recession. The timbre was very natural. The lower region was warmer due to the influence of the bass and the upper mids were brighter with an attractive presence, but there was no harshness.

"The Plateau of Mirror" is a classic ambient album by Brian Eno and Harold Budd. The opening track, "First Light" showcases a treated piano lead set against an evocative electronic soundscape. There was plenty of detail here and the balance between the solo instrument and the accompaniment was nigh-on perfect. Layering and separation, so important in this kind of material, was praiseworthy and added greatly to the enjoyment of the piece.

Ryuji Kunimatsu's solo classical guitar in his performance of "Chiquilin de Bachin" by Astor Piazolla sounded very natural with a rich and warm tonality. Details like fingerings were clearly depicted and the ambience of the recording venue was reproduced very well. The woody resonance of the guitar body was convincingly conveyed.

Treble
The treble was bright yet smooth, fairly well-extended and free of peaks. Detail retrieval was good and there was a surprising degree of delicacy on offer, unexpected at this level.

The delicate tones of "Z Op. 1", by Gabor Presser from the album "Electromantic" were testament to the level of detail produced by the CSN. While remaining smooth and free of undue emphasis, the clarity was maintained with the interplay between the various elements well rendered.

Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto No. 3" received a lively and entertaining performance from the Saar Chamber Orchestra under Karl Ristenpart. The bouncy and energetic bass line was nicely balanced by a bright and detailed string section, supported by harpsichord continuo, with everything remaining in focus and only a slight blunting of transients from time to time.

Soundstage
The CSN possessed a soundstage roughly equal in all three dimensions. Although the image did not extend beyond the head, the reproduction of ambience was very good, producing the effect of a larger stage.

"Exogenesis" is a track from "Rosetta" by Vangelis. Deep and weighty sub-bass rumbles formed a foundation for sparkling electronic effects and staccato keyboard runs, all set in a huge acoustic evocative of a space journey. The stereo imaging and panning were very effective.

The brooding quality of Sibelius's "The Swan of Tuonela" was faithfully presented in the wonderfully atmospheric recording by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska. Thunderous bass drum, expressive strings and a haunting cor anglais solo all combined to produce a luminous portrayal in a spacious environment with black silences.

Comparisons

KBEAR KB04
The KBEAR KB04 possesses a warm V-signature with a pleasant well-contoured treble, yet not lacking in detail. It avoids the mid/treble emphasis found in many other models and has a smoother presentation perhaps inspired by the BLON BL-03. The overall profile does resemble that of the CSN but the CSN has more forward mids and a brighter treble and is cooler in tonality.

KBEAR Lark
The Lark is the newest hybrid from KBEAR and has a refreshingly neutral/bright profile with the bass, mids and treble nicely balanced. The upper region is brighter than the CSN but is not harsh. The CSN is more V-shaped and not quite so refined and is a little bit darker but more relaxed. The bass is not as tight and there is some bass bleed which is absent on the Lark.

CVJ CSE
The latest model from CVJ is a little more V-shaped than their previous offerings which were neutral/bright. The CSE has a more balanced profile and a brighter top end than the CSN, but there is some sharpness in the upper mids and treble. The CSN is warmer and has a more "polite" tuning, and is more relaxing to listen to.

Conclusion
After a recent trend for single DD designs there has been a resurgence in affordable dual hybrids with KBEAR's Lark, TRN's TA1, the KZ ZST-X and the CVJ CSE all coming on to the market. The CSN joins this crowded marketplace but by dint of its lively, all-round ability it is a real contender. Its well-balanced and entertaining sound, solid build and excellent value should place it on your shortlist if you are looking for a quality IEM in this price range.
IMG_20210412_153528.jpg
Great extensive review! Yea CCA' better run thru spell-check before placing their promotional banner, "customized" "customised"

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,690 of 3,770
After spending significantly more time with my CCA C12 I've come to the conclusion that the bass just isn't up to my standards.

I like bass that goes low but is tight and clearly defined. I accept the slightly bass-lean signature of single-armature etymotics and sometimes goose 'em with EQ because what's there Is razor sharp.

Compared to say a normal bias stax lambda, koss esp-950, or even HE-4XX, the bass on the C12 is like a low-dollar subwoofer inside a cardboard box. It just is.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #2,691 of 3,770
After spending significantly more time with my CCA C12 I've come to the conclusion that the bass just isn't up to my standards.

I like bass that goes low but is tight and clearly defined. I accept the slightly bass-lean signature of single-armature etymotics and sometimes goose 'em with EQ because what's there Is razor sharp.

Compared to say a normal bias stax lambda, koss esp-950, or even HE-4XX, the bass on the C12 is like a low-dollar subwoofer inside a cardboard box. It just is.
I felt the bass in the ca12 was too weak for me as well, the ca16 has a ton of bass in comparison to the ca12.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #2,692 of 3,770
Great extensive review! Yea CCA' better run thru spell-check before placing their promotional banner, "customized" "customised"
I highlighted the word "customised" to emphasise that the 30095 driver may have been specially modified, rather than commenting on the spelling. I would personally never spell words like this with a "z" as I prefer the "s" spelling.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,693 of 3,770
I highlighted the word "customised" to emphasise that the 30095 driver may have been specially modified, rather than commenting on the spelling. I would personally never spell words like this with a "z" as I prefer the "s" spelling.
And it is " zed" not "zee" :) :)

On the subject of bass, I agree that with The new DD drivers, the bass on CA12 and ZSX may not to be the current high standards and expectations.
The bass still feel a bit loose on ZAX, I can believe that taming ZAX bass can make it much better IEM, as some great Head-Fi-ers did.

Then I love how CA16 bass is integrated with BAs, and the bass of ASX, while a bit too much for me (I am not a bass head) is all I need (I actually call ASX my bass-head IEM :wink:, I did replace original narrow constraining nozzes with wider ones from different ZSNs).

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,694 of 3,770
And it is " zed" not "zee" :) :)

On the subject of bass, I agree that with The new DD drivers, the bass on CA12 and ZSX may not to be the current high standards and expectations.
The bass still feel a bit loose on ZAX, I can believe that taming ZAX bass can make it much better IEM, as some great Head-Fi-ers did.

Then I love how CA16 bass is integrated with BAs, and the bass of ASX, while a bit too much for me (I am not a bass head) is all I need (I actually call ASX my bass-head IEM :wink:, I did replace original narrow constraining nozzes with wider ones from different ZSNs).
Yes, CA16 is great, that and CKX are my two favourite CCA IEMs.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #2,695 of 3,770
I felt the bass in the ca12 was too weak for me as well, the ca16 has a ton of bass in comparison to the ca12.

I feel like the quantity is fine, but the quality, surprisingly enough, isn't as good as I'd expect for $35.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #2,696 of 3,770
Made comparison of sub$30 segments CSN well served its spot!
Neutrality reference used for this review: Sennheiser HD560S
17E5683E-776B-406F-9214-0AD6A23B13FC.png

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,697 of 3,770
I have just been listening to this on the CKX with KBEAR grey and red medium bore tips, and Senlee hybrid silver/copper cable. Absolutely wonderful!

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #2,698 of 3,770
I think I am liking the CCA C10 more than the KZ DQ6 now. 😳 The fit of the DQ6 is just too annoying for me and the treble peaks are starting to get fatiguing.

A shame that the CSN shares a similar shape with the DQ6.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #2,699 of 3,770
I think I am liking the CCA C10 more than the KZ DQ6 now. 😳 The fit of the DQ6 is just too annoying for me and the treble peaks are starting to get fatiguing.

A shame that the CSN shares a similar shape with the DQ6.
Indeed CSN's shell is gigantic, god almighty why they needed to built that big :dizzy_face:

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,700 of 3,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back