CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #2,521 of 3,770
Testing my rig and I think the results are believable.

Red NM2+, Cyan CKX, I think the curves look quite similar except for between around 2.5k -5k, don't they? (edit: ok, they don't look too similar, lol)
NM2+ CKX.PNG

Next step: EQ the NM2+ to sound like the CKX. :dt880smile:

And here is the CKX vs the EDX
CKX EDX.PNG

:sweat:Maybe all CCA/KZ IEMs are tuned the same?...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,522 of 3,770
CKX on the way. ZAX v CS16 v CKX should be interesting!

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,526 of 3,770
Just received my CKX and first impression is that this thing is super tiny. How the heck does CCA cramped all these BA drivers + 10mm DD in such a tiny body. Built quality is very good. Having all metal build, it feels solid and sturdy unlike plastic/resin body. Fit is also great because of how freaking tiny it is.
Now for the sound, I am liking what I am hearing so far. It has quite a similar sound with KZ ZSX. The CKX has a more forward mid and a little bit more treble sparkle than the ZSX. Bass is a touch bit fuller on the CKX, but it is still too early because usually the bass will get smoothened out after some hours.
20210302_160609.jpg
Look at how tiny it is compared to the other KZ gang.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #2,527 of 3,770
Well I just tried the CKX and ZAX side by side and they sound like 90% the same. The bass hit a touch fuller on the CKX while the treble also has a touch less sparkle on the CKX. Mid, soundstage and details are pretty much the same. There is also less sound leakage on the CKX. If you can wait the shipping time from AliExpress, I would strongly suggest to get the CKX instead of the ZAX, but if buying from Amazon, then get the ZAX for now because the price in amazon for CKX is higher. The CKX has better built quality because of all metal body, it is smaller which can fit more people's ear, sound is 90% the same as ZAX while having less leakage.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,528 of 3,770
Just received my CKX and first impression is that this thing is super tiny. How the heck does CCA cramped all these BA drivers + 10mm DD in such a tiny body. Built quality is very good. Having all metal build, it feels solid and sturdy unlike plastic/resin body. Fit is also great because of how freaking tiny it is.
Now for the sound, I am liking what I am hearing so far. It has quite a similar sound with KZ ZSX. The CKX has a more forward mid and a little bit more treble sparkle than the ZSX. Bass is a touch bit fuller on the CKX, but it is still too early because usually the bass will get smoothened out after some hours.
20210302_160609.jpg
Look at how tiny it is compared to the other KZ gang.
Thanks for posting this picture, very helpful when interested about the size of one vs another.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,529 of 3,770
Testing my rig and I think the results are believable.

Red NM2+, Cyan CKX, I think the curves look quite similar except for between around 2.5k -5k, don't they? (edit: ok, they don't look too similar, lol)
NM2+ CKX.PNG

Next step: EQ the NM2+ to sound like the CKX. :dt880smile:

And here is the CKX vs the EDX
CKX EDX.PNG

:sweat:Maybe all CCA/KZ IEMs are tuned the same?...
Which one is the ckx or edx?

Well I just tried the CKX and ZAX side by side and they sound like 90% the same. The bass hit a touch fuller on the CKX while the treble also has a touch less sparkle on the CKX. Mid, soundstage and details are pretty much the same. There is also less sound leakage on the CKX. If you can wait the shipping time from AliExpress, I would strongly suggest to get the CKX instead of the ZAX, but if buying from Amazon, then get the ZAX for now because the price in amazon for CKX is higher. The CKX has better built quality because of all metal body, it is smaller which can fit more people's ear, sound is 90% the same as ZAX while having less leakage.
Ok I am a little bit confused now! I know that tonality wise zax and zs10 pro should be the same. I have zs10 pro and edx, to me edx sounds thinner than zs10 pro. Edx are also more cleaner sounding than the zs10 pro in my ear. So where does the ckx sit now?

From my usage, I think I like edx more than the zs10 pro. As a matter of fact, I even use it more than the blon!! I think till now, the edx and the timmkoo c630 is more up to my preference. Maybe the edx a bit more, as I find the c630 a bit too thin and bright. Which one do you think will be a better upgrade for me, zax or ckx?

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,530 of 3,770
Which one is the ckx or edx?

Ok I am a little bit confused now! I know that tonality wise zax and zs10 pro should be the same. I have zs10 pro and edx, to me edx sounds thinner than zs10 pro. Edx are also more cleaner sounding than the zs10 pro in my ear. So where does the ckx sit now?

From my usage, I think I like edx more than the zs10 pro. As a matter of fact, I even use it more than the blon!! I think till now, the edx and the timmkoo c630 is more up to my preference. Maybe the edx a bit more, as I find the c630 a bit too thin and bright. Which one do you think will be a better upgrade for me, zax or ckx?
CKX is in Cyan. I don't remember the ZS10PRO sounding similar to the ZAX. The ZS10PRO is not too technical even compared to the EDX.

IMO the CKX is fuller sounding compared to the EDX likely due to the different shells - more open but hollow sounding plastic enclosure vs tighter and smaller stage in the very small metal shell of the CKX.

Don't have the ZAX now but IMO althoguh the ZAX and CKX sound alike, the CKX has much more accurate timbre to my ears somehow.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2,531 of 3,770
CKX is in Cyan. I don't remember the ZS10PRO sounding similar to the ZAX. The ZS10PRO is not too technical even compared to the EDX.

IMO the CKX is fuller sounding compared to the EDX likely due to the different shells - more open but hollow sounding plastic enclosure vs tighter and smaller stage in the very small metal shell of the CKX.

Don't have the ZAX now but IMO althoguh the ZAX and CKX sound alike, the CKX has much more accurate timbre to my ears somehow.
By similar sound, I meant they are supposed to be tonally same right? I mean their fr graph has no appreciable deviation. Of course technically, from what I heard ZAX is way better.

I am not sure whether I will like CKX or not. I think I like a little bit brighter, thin sound. Most probably ZAX would be a better upgrade than CKX from your impression!

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,532 of 3,770
By similar sound, I meant they are supposed to be tonally same right? I mean their fr graph has no appreciable deviation. Of course technically, from what I heard ZAX is way better.

I am not sure whether I will like CKX or not. I think I like a little bit brighter, thin sound. Most probably ZAX would be a better upgrade than CKX from your impression!
The CKX is still quite bright just that the ZAX is a little brighter. So maybe you are right!

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,533 of 3,770
Hi guys, it's been a long, long time since posting and when I bought a Hifiman RE-400 back in 2016. It seems the ChiFi market has exploded in these five years. Oh, I sort of like the mids on the RE-400 but the bass just completely sucks.

I read this thread for maybe 50 or so pages, watched Youtube reviews, and early Feb. bought both CCA C12 and CCA C16 (not CA16). Immediately returned the C16 as I found the bass lacking but also not very responsive to EQ, and I also found the midrange harsh, needing downward EQ at both 1k and 2.4k on my iPhone running Spotify premium at 320k vbr. When spotify Premium rolls out CD lossless, I will use that.

I used to compare IEMs to my Sennheiser HD600, but sold those last year b/c I just wanted more toe tapping bass. Bought the Senn HD 58x from Drop b/c I can run them right out of the computer or phone since they are 150 Ohm. Love the bass, but for mids I EQ 2.4k Hz +2 dots on Spotify EQ. Before that I had the HD560 for about 10 years, again loving everything except lack of bass.

So I kept the CCA C12, and for the past 3 weeks I like them a lot except for lower treble seeming harsh (drum stick hit on the rim of the snare drum, cymbals, etc.). So when I EQ down the 2.4k to fix that, male voices sounded a little dull and a little pulled back for my taste. I have the C12 EQ'd as follows on Spotify: 60Hz -3 dot widths (have no idea how many Dbs that is), 150Hz -3, 400Hz 0, 1kHz +1, 2.4k Hz -3, 15k Hz 0.

I particularly like the airiness of the C12, and with EQing, find it just about right, and don't find any reason to use my HD58x Senns over the C12. Oh, I do have an Amp/Dac that I use for the HD58x, but honestly don't hear a difference between that and plugging them into the iphone's Amp/Dac dongle.

So my question is... does KZ or CCA make any IEMs that sound like my C12, but with less bass, and less of a peak at 2.4k? Everybody says the mids on the BLON Bl-03 are great, so I thought of adding that one for vocal centric music... and of course I'd EQ the bass down on those quite a bit as well.

Music wise, I'm an old guy so don't listen to Electronic, nor did I ever switch over to Hip Hop or Rap. I like Jazz, Classical, Classic Rock, Acoustic.

For testing out new IEMs or Headphones, I tend to use songs I have read are well mixed:

Steely Dan - Jack of Speed
Paul Simon - Graceland
Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley
Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
Eagles - Hotel California Live (1999 remix)
Sarah Vaughan - Make This City Ours Tonight
Dee Dee Bridgewater - Tokyo Blues
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack - Time of My Life (Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley)
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Lenny White - Chatter (for drums and cymbals)
Cyrus Chestnut - Grandmama's Blues
Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice
Olive - Falling
Saint-Saenz, Symph No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 78 "Organ" w. Yo Yo Ma

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,534 of 3,770
Hi guys, it's been a long, long time since posting and when I bought a Hifiman RE-400 back in 2016. It seems the ChiFi market has exploded in these five years. Oh, I sort of like the mids on the RE-400 but the bass just completely sucks.

I read this thread for maybe 50 or so pages, watched Youtube reviews, and early Feb. bought both CCA C12 and CCA C16 (not CA16). Immediately returned the C16 as I found the bass lacking but also not very responsive to EQ, and I also found the midrange harsh, needing downward EQ at both 1k and 2.4k on my iPhone running Spotify premium at 320k vbr. When spotify Premium rolls out CD lossless, I will use that.

I used to compare IEMs to my Sennheiser HD600, but sold those last year b/c I just wanted more toe tapping bass. Bought the Senn HD 58x from Drop b/c I can run them right out of the computer or phone since they are 150 Ohm. Love the bass, but for mids I EQ 2.4k Hz +2 dots on Spotify EQ. Before that I had the HD560 for about 10 years, again loving everything except lack of bass.

So I kept the CCA C12, and for the past 3 weeks I like them a lot except for lower treble seeming harsh (drum stick hit on the rim of the snare drum, cymbals, etc.). So when I EQ down the 2.4k to fix that, male voices sounded a little dull and a little pulled back for my taste. I have the C12 EQ'd as follows on Spotify: 60Hz -3 dot widths (have no idea how many Dbs that is), 150Hz -3, 400Hz 0, 1kHz +1, 2.4k Hz -3, 15k Hz 0.

I particularly like the airiness of the C12, and with EQing, find it just about right, and don't find any reason to use my HD58x Senns over the C12. Oh, I do have an Amp/Dac that I use for the HD58x, but honestly don't hear a difference between that and plugging them into the iphone's Amp/Dac dongle.

So my question is... does KZ or CCA make any IEMs that sound like my C12, but with less bass, and less of a peak at 2.4k? Everybody says the mids on the BLON Bl-03 are great, so I thought of adding that one for vocal centric music... and of course I'd EQ the bass down on those quite a bit as well.

Music wise, I'm an old guy so don't listen to Electronic, nor did I ever switch over to Hip Hop or Rap. I like Jazz, Classical, Classic Rock, Acoustic.

For testing out new IEMs or Headphones, I tend to use songs I have read are well mixed:

Steely Dan - Jack of Speed
Paul Simon - Graceland
Rage Against the Machine - Take the Power Back
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley
Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
Eagles - Hotel California Live (1999 remix)
Sarah Vaughan - Make This City Ours Tonight
Dee Dee Bridgewater - Tokyo Blues
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack - Time of My Life (Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley)
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Lenny White - Chatter (for drums and cymbals)
Cyrus Chestnut - Grandmama's Blues
Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice
Olive - Falling
Saint-Saenz, Symph No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 78 "Organ" w. Yo Yo Ma
I think you may like the CA16 as it is very good for classical music, and has a more polite treble. Bass is very good from the 7mm driver. I have the CKX coming soon and from early impressions I have read that might also suit you.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,535 of 3,770
Just went on quick driver compositions among the famous KZ/CCA bros: added my fav TRN VX
They share many common BA drivers like #30095, so this may help to visualize the similarities from the driver perspective.

BAs: #30095 for Treble | #50024 (2BAs)& #50060 for MID | #30019 & #30017 for Upper Mid

KZ ZAX (7BA+DD) : #30019 x2 | #50024 (2BAs) x2 | DD(10mm) #30095 x1 in outlet bore
CCA CKX(6BA+DD) : #30095 x1 | #30017 (2BAs) x2 | DD(10mm) | #30095 x1 in outlet bore
KZ ZS10 Pro (4BA+DD): #30095 x1 | #50060 x2 | DD(10mm) | #30095 x1 in outlet bore
CCA CS16(8BA) : #30017(2BAs) x 1 | #31736(2BAs) x 2 | #29689 x1 | #22955 x1
CCA CA16(7BA+DD) : #30095 x3 | #50024 (2BA)×2 | DD(7mm)
TRN VX (6BA+DD) : #30095 x2 | #50060 x2 | DD(10mm) | #30095 x1 & #50060 x1 in outlet bore

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back