CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,447 of 3,770
Go tell my ear canal then! :upside_down:
Seriously though, I found that TWS like tips fit me better, thanks to the CCA CA16 for that! I know the tips that come with it are trashed to death but it's actually the only thing I liked about this IEM (sold it quickly, I'm definitely not a multi-BA Hybrids type of guy!) and after selling them I did try to find CA16 tips on AliExpress but they aren't sold separately, I finally found something similar and I equipped most of my remaining IEMs with those tips, they seem to fit well in ly ears, with their very short length and their flat "head"! :relaxed:

Anyway, I might try the DQ6 with the next sale on AE (should be cheap enough to try it without remorse...) but I'm set with my earbuds, love the addicting sound coming out of them more than anything else. :o2smile:

Oh this CA16 again I have such bad luck with this pair I really just couldn't get any good sound out of them and sold them. Thou I have been hearing a lot of people really digging it.

The DQ6 is actually always about 20 dollars with coupon, you don't need to wait for the next sale. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,448 of 3,770
H40's default tuning bring a lot of bass/sub, so trebles are poors players of the game... It's like a subwoofer in your head !
Eq them and you've got a really great IEM : great impact, dynamic, equilibred, detailled, great separation. I like them a lot !

CA16 are really under them no doubt. First, there is the CCA/KZ tuning (mid bass bump, peak near 2k). They lake something in treble aera. Details are here but it's lake life.
EQing corrected some defaults but they don't play H40 level....

Fit is good on both. H40 are heaviest and a little more big, when you put them in your ears, they can't fall even if you're shake your head in all directions.

Frequency response, my rig not accurate after 6kHz (same level setting on both, you can see that CA16 are harder to drive.)

H40 vs CA16.jpg

CA16 equalized....

CA16 EQ.jpg

No, I never hear them... But A7 is king of separation and 3D effect, H40 is king of live listening. Not same fun.
FYI, I barely equalize A7, just lower around 2K. Tuning is great.

H40 vs  A7.jpg

hmmm, maybe not my cup of tea... don't like EQ-ing my IEM... it means tuning is not good.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,449 of 3,770
Oh this CA16 again I have such bad luck with this pair I really just couldn't get any good sound out of them and sold them. Thou I have been hearing a lot of people really digging it.

The DQ6 is actually always about 20 dollars with coupon, you don't need to wait for the next sale. :L3000:

You should try CP800 Spinfit before you sell your CA16...

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,450 of 3,770
hmmm, maybe not my cup of tea... don't like EQ-ing my IEM... it means tuning is not good.

Read ISN's thread, H40 are acclamaid for good tuning. For bass lovers they are great.
For me they are too much bass, even BL01 I tame them...

In fact, the more time passes, the less I support actual IEM tuning... Too much lows, too peaky 2-8Khz.
And when I listen my hifi system who have a great flat response, I find it weird....

So it time to stop Harman curve ans other. (For me at least)

All that for say no, H40 is an good IEM ! :)

Edit : with flatter EQ, IEMs sound more detailled, music is really more comprehensive..

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,451 of 3,770
mayby I ask in other way. I like tuning ca16. I barely usef Eq of es 100
What iems (for max 200$) are similar tuned but better overall. (wider stage, better instrument sepraration, little more of upper [rythm ]bass - more punchy).
I like ca16 for that they had strong punchy bass and still very clear mids and upper unlike KZ ZSX where bass overwhelm rest and details are lost.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2,453 of 3,770
I almost always EQ all my iems...either with actual EQ, or with a different dac/amp. Sometimes, it can be with eartips or cables. It doesn't always necessarily mean that the tuning of the iem is bad. These products are produced to appeal to many people...and those many people ALL have different tastes in music. Some ( like me), even enjoy MULTIPLE genres of music. There is NO SUCH THING, as the best ONE iem for absolutely every kind of music...or even every recording. Imho...EQ is a friend. It's a sound tweak that can help you make your iems sound more as you like.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #2,454 of 3,770
mayby I ask in other way. I like tuning ca16. I barely usef Eq of es 100
What iems (for max 200$) are similar tuned but better overall. (wider stage, better instrument sepraration, little more of upper [rythm ]bass - more punchy).
I like ca16 for that they had strong punchy bass and still very clear mids and upper unlike KZ ZSX where bass overwhelm rest and details are lost.

That would be KBEAR BELIEVE

I would also suggest NM2+, but you need tip rolling.
I am selling my NM2+ for $100

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #2,455 of 3,770

Well, the tips were the only thing I liked in CA16, those which are trashed badly by almost all CA16 users! :upside_down:
Otherwise I thought they really were nothing special, especially given they have 8 drivers per side!... :thinking:
And it's a shame in my view as I liked the way they implemented all those drivers in the shell, which is quite big but actually was sitting well in my ears.

As for DQ6 I'm seeing a $7 discount in one day so i will wait until sale prices are on, I'm not in a hurry! :relaxed:

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2,456 of 3,770
Well, the tips were the only thing I liked in CA16, those which are trashed badly by almost all CA16 users! :upside_down:
Otherwise I thought they really were nothing special, especially given they have 8 drivers per side!... :thinking:
And it's a shame in my view as I liked the way they implemented all those drivers in the shell, which is quite big but actually was sitting well in my ears.

As for DQ6 I'm seeing a $7 discount in one day so i will wait until sale prices are on, I'm not in a hurry! :relaxed:
Maybe you should also consider the CCA CKX? It is my favourite IEM of 2020 and 2021 althoguh technically it arrived on the 5th of Jan 2021 and this is my only IEM of 2021. It is to my ears just as techincal as the NM2+ but cheaper and I really can listen to my playlist without switching. I listen to classical, kpop, rock, English pop/rock, opera, classical arias, jazz, swing and even rap, basically everything except heavy metal and buddha music.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,457 of 3,770
Thanks, I bought DQ6 yesterday to hear how it sounds, at $18 it's not a great risk to be disappointed. :relaxed:

I might try CKX one day, although I'm sure those big nozzles will not be for me...

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I largely prefer listening to my earbuds rather than my IEMs (even though it doesn't hurt sometimes to listen to something "sharper", when not doing anything at home...), so I'll wait for those to lower in price and see if I take the plunge or not.

However you got me interested when you say they sound a bit like the NM2+, which has been THE IEM I have been looking at the most in recent times as I'm sure I'd like it a lot!
Just that it's too expensive for me to justify buying it, I'm a cheap guy! :sweat_smile:

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,458 of 3,770
Thanks, I bought DQ6 yesterday to hear how it sounds, at $18 it's not a great risk to be disappointed. :relaxed:

I might try CKX one day, although I'm sure those big nozzles will not be for me...

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I largely prefer listening to my earbuds rather than my IEMs (even though it doesn't hurt sometimes to listen to something "sharper", when not doing anything at home...), so I'll wait for those to lower in price and see if I take the plunge or not.

However you got me interested when you say they sound a bit like the NM2+, which has been THE IEM I have been looking at the most in recent times as I'm sure I'd like it a lot!
Just that it's too expensive for me to justify buying it, I'm a cheap guy! :sweat_smile:

You won't be disappointed with the DQ6:nerd:.

We may actually have similar size ear canals and I can only use tips with diameter under 10.5mm. I actually agree with you that the nozzles on the CKX are actually too big and the fit is rather below average due to the shape.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

W01 s size is the only tips I can find that I can allow the nozzles to be inserted fully into my ear canals however sacrificing the sound quality.....so I have to stick with JVC spiral dots.

I hope there will be more reviews on the CKX later coz to me the CKX really sound quite right to my ears. I actually prefer the timbre on the CKX over the NM2+ due to the slightly warmer upper-mids. The stage is just slightly not as wide but definitely not a deal breaker. YMMV.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #2,459 of 3,770
You won't be disappointed with the DQ6:nerd:.

We may actually have similar size ear canals and I can only use tips with diameter under 10.5mm. I actually agree with you that the nozzles on the CKX are actually too big and the fit is rather below average due to the shape.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

W01 s size is the only tips I can find that I can allow the nozzles to be inserted fully into my ear canals however sacrificing the sound quality.....so I have to stick with JVC spiral dots.

I hope there will be more reviews on the CKX later coz to me the CKX really sound quite right to my ears. I actually prefer the timbre on the CKX over the NM2+ due to the slightly warmer upper-mids. The stage is just slightly not as wide but definitely not a deal breaker. YMMV.

Have you tried the ZAX? If so, how do they compare against each other?

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #2,460 of 3,770
Have you tried the ZAX? If so, how do they compare against each other?
I already sold my ZAX, while I liked the stage and fun tuning of it, I always found the top end sounding very unnatural in an uncontrolled way (in contrast the TRN V90s is even more unnatural but smooth and detailed, which I am keeping). I listen to strings quite a lot and it is impossible for me to listen to violin concertos with the ZAX due to the metallic sound. Also for Cello solo/concertos, I heard some overtones that do not belong to the Cello with the ZAX.

As I have been saying, there are no "wrong" sounds coming out from the CKX which is a huge improvement from the ZAX. Stage isn't as large but I think the large stage of the ZAX was contributed by the more hollow sounding tuning and V-shape tuning. I personally think they have perfected the sound in this pair. Some may ask for more stage width and height but I think it is just preference and having taller and wider stage may just ruin the realistic sound. YMMV thou. Only complaints are the poor fit and the wide nozzles.

Edit: Bass is probably similar as both are quite good. And mid is more neutral due to the non V shape tuning. Not that kind of lush mids you find on the Tri i3 (which I didn't like and sold it...) but just the right amount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back