CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,531 of 3,770
Just wanted to say that thanks to your photo I was able to figure out how to properly connect the cables. Did not want to play the guessing game so was glad to find your photo!

Excited to try the C12s out with this KB Ear upgrade cable!

If you ever need help with anything, just ask. There’s no dumb questions around here, and we’re all happy to help.

I admit the cable connections can be confusing at first, because many people have never used universal IEMs with removable cables before. In addition to the correct way to attach the cable, there’s even some questions about how to put them in your ears.

I’ve posted this handy guide before, but I’ll post it again:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3167#post-15179608

Even though you figured out your cables, perhaps my guide will help others who see this message :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,532 of 3,770
If you ever need help with anything, just ask. There’s no dumb questions around here, and we’re all happy to help.

I admit the cable connections can be confusing at first, because many people have never used universal IEMs with removable cables before. In addition to the correct way to attach the cable, there’s even some questions about how to put them in your ears.

I’ve posted this handy guide before, but I’ll post it again:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3167#post-15179608

Even though you figured out your cables, perhaps my guide will help others who see this message :)
Appreciate the help. I've dealt with several pairs of KZ (ZS5, ZS6, ZSR), but I feel like the upgrade cable always made it clear which was left and right. Here I really had no idea which was left or right. Now I realize you can tell left from right by the shape of the connector.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #1,533 of 3,770
Appreciate the help. I've dealt with several pairs of KZ (ZS5, ZS6, ZSR), but I feel like the upgrade cable always made it clear which was left and right. Here I really had no idea which was left or right. Now I realize you can tell left from right by the shape of the connector.

Also, on older KZs, they used Paragraph A and Paragraph B connectors. They both were ‘keyed’ and were only designed to go 1 way. One side was rounded and the other side was flat.

5BAFDB45-6B95-41CA-939F-5E5D49DAC621.jpeg

So on those, it was definitely easier/more obvious which way things went.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #1,534 of 3,770
Too bad this thread got so quiet.
I’ve been tweaking my C16 for last 10 months or so and finally achieved the best EQ setting.
This EQ (10 band PEQ toneboosters from UAPP) combined with 5mm x 15mm alcohol swab + piercing small hole on treble filter mod elevated C16 to one of my most enjoyable IEM currently. Handily beating T800, TRI i3, H40, blessing 2 and TAPE.

2BD62BD5-68C6-4CFB-BA53-1525A379BB67.jpeg
Basically combining the best quality of all the IEMs above. T800’s Bass, TRI i3’s midrange detail, H40’s vocal density, TAPE’s treble resolution + Blessing 2’s tonality morphed into one :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,536 of 3,770
Too bad this thread got so quiet.
I’ve been tweaking my C16 for last 10 months or so and finally achieved the best EQ setting.
This EQ (10 band PEQ toneboosters from UAPP) combined with 5mm x 15mm alcohol swab + piercing small hole on treble filter mod elevated C16 to one of my most enjoyable IEM currently. Handily beating T800, TRI i3, H40, blessing 2 and TAPE.

2BD62BD5-68C6-4CFB-BA53-1525A379BB67.jpeg
Basically combining the best quality of all the IEMs above. T800’s Bass, TRI i3’s midrange detail, H40’s vocal density, TAPE’s treble resolution + Blessing 2’s tonality morphed into one :)
True, C16 is one great IEM. C16 main limitation seems to be the treble - if you solve it to your perfect liking, it can be really ultimate!

Another IEM that may greatly benefit from similar tweaking is AS12, the last all-BA KZ model.

In AS12, removing the treble filter produces much more drastic effect than in C16.
Finding right treble filtering plus the same bass and mid BAs as in C16 and AS16, plus aluminum nozzles with nice mesh filters for just ~$55 - can make a marvel IEM of a hyper-train level :wink::)

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,537 of 3,770
True, C16 is one great IEM. C16 main limitation seems to be the treble - if you solve it to your perfect liking, it can be really ultimate!

Another IEM that may greatly benefit from similar tweaking is AS12, the last all-BA KZ model.

In AS12, removing the treble filter produces much more drastic effect than in C16.
Finding right treble filtering plus the same bass and mid BAs as in C16 and AS16, plus aluminum nozzles with nice mesh filters for just ~$55 - can make a marvel IEM of a hyper-train level :wink::)

That’s good to know.

I would have loved a nice metal nozzle on the C16.

BTW, a contributing factor in the treble difference between the C16 and AS16 is certainly the nozzle mesh.

I know from the Blon nozzle mesh mod (and others) that the nylon nozzle mesh dampens some treble.

So swapping the nylon mesh for stainless mesh by itself will bump up the treble. Then when you add to that the removal of the treble channel filter, boom you have even more treble.

I don’t have an AS16 to compare, but I’d be curious to directly A/B compare the C16 and AS16 apples to apples - with both having a stainless nozzle mesh, as well as the treble nozzle filter mod.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,538 of 3,770
That’s good to know.

I would have loved a nice metal nozzle on the C16.

BTW, a contributing factor in the treble difference between the C16 and AS16 is certainly the nozzle mesh.

I know from the Blon nozzle mesh mod (and others) that the nylon nozzle mesh dampens some treble.

So swapping the nylon mesh for stainless mesh by itself will bump up the treble. Then when you add to that the removal of the treble channel filter, boom you have even more treble.

I don’t have an AS16 to compare, but I’d be curious to directly A/B compare the C16 and AS16 apples to apples - with both having a stainless nozzle mesh, as well as the treble nozzle filter mod.
I did not notice much difference when one of mesh filters on C16 get lost.

Now my C16 have removed treble filters and different steel mesh filters.

AS16 do not have treble filters and they are more treble rich then the above described C16.

AS12 felt a bit lame to me with the treble filters, without them - sometimes too much even for my current treble-hungry tastes.

C16, AS16 and AS12 - all have different treble drivers.

AS12 have just two, but they are larger in size and offer more when untamed, so getting the right treble dampening (for specific individual tastes) really can make AS12 a nice marvel.

P. S. I have received few days ago my HiSenior U4 (Knowles Cl, ED & TWFK) that are surely "more refined" but all-BA KZ/CCA are competitive to my ears.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,539 of 3,770
Folks,

I am ready to share some initial impressions of my CCA C12. I've started off listening with a Radsone ES100, balanced output with a KB Ear balanced silver plated 16-core cable....

DSC_0655.JPG DSC_0656.JPG

I'm looking at this cable now for my C12, can you please clarify which pin you selected? As far as I know the C12 uses the same 'paragraph C' or 'type C' pin that comes on some of the KZ's like the ZS10 Pro.

May 4, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,540 of 3,770
AS12 felt a bit lame to me with the treble filters, without them - sometimes too much even for my current treble-hungry tastes.
C16, AS16 and AS12 - all have different treble drivers.
AS12 have just two, but they are larger in size and offer more when untamed, so getting the right treble dampening (for specific individual tastes) really can make AS12 a nice
Been casual listening on my Hiby R3 Pro lately. Mostly pairing with CCA C10 or KZ AS12(stock).
C10 keeps it nice & controlled for most musical stuff. The AS12 is when I need a bit more fizz & details (though lacking the mid-bass of C10). They complement well.
I have not used the C16(no filter) in a while, but I guess that will be for more critical listening with even more details.

May 21, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #1,543 of 3,770
Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,544 of 3,770
Thank you! Ordered.
There is always a place for one more CCA in a collection :) :)

P. S. Though I am likely to see the order only after 2-3 months, given the current shipping situation...

Looks good in the subtle black finish but wonder what it sounds like and I also wonder if there is a KZ equivalent on the horizon?

May 21, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,545 of 3,770
Looks good in the subtle black finish but wonder what it sounds like and I also wonder if there is a KZ equivalent on the horizon?
This is a part of the fun. There may be no direct KZ equivalents.

I am neither super keen on black (my first black IEM) or hybrid (waited and waited for promised all-BAs C18 and C20...)

CA16 seem to be a much better deal to me compared to recent TRN (not even factoring the latter QC...)

I have all other CCAs, so there was not even slightest "must resist" feeling :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back