CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,472 of 3,770
This is going to make me bring out my C10 again. Can't believe I got it for $20. As I said earlier, it 'shames' other IEMs above its price bracket.

From his site: CCA C10: "Surprisingly well-tuned hybrid from a KZ-style company. Definitely the best in its lineup". C+.
CCA C12: "Nothing much to say; typical KZ-style tuning with shouty midrange and subpar technicalities." C.

Crinacle seems to rate the CCA C12 worse than the CCA C10. I don't have both sets, so can't say for sure. From reading consensus reviews/impressions in the CHIFI headfi threads, the CCA C12 seems quite hyped for technicalities in the sub $50 region?

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,473 of 3,770
I have a C12 arriving in days, maybe even today. I can easily compare it to the C10, although not in-depth. I'll let you know which I think has better 'technicalities.' Tuning will be the focus for me, though. The C10 stands out as one of the most 'analog' KZ/CCA tunings.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,474 of 3,770
This is going to make me bring out my C10 again. Can't believe I got it for $20. As I said earlier, it 'shames' other IEMs above its price bracket.
It just "shames" those ratings...
"Insignificant IEMs", insignificant thoughts about...
While valueing C10 (and trying to recommend them as a starter hybrid), C10 & C12 description alone (among many other aspects) completely invalidate for me this list and simular attempts to issue a definitive opinion on 100+ things at once while not being void of commercial interests.
(Just my last 1.5 cents here, I will wait for new CCAs quetly)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,475 of 3,770
I have a C12 arriving in days, maybe even today. I can easily compare it to the C10, although not in-depth. I'll let you know which I think has better 'technicalities.' Tuning will be the focus for me, though. The C10 stands out as one of the most 'analog' KZ/CCA tunings.

Looking forward to your impressions. Just sold my C12s as they were too thin and edgy. Shallow soundstage and not enough bass depth for me.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,477 of 3,770
From his site: CCA C10: "Surprisingly well-tuned hybrid from a KZ-style company. Definitely the best in its lineup". C+.
CCA C12: "Nothing much to say; typical KZ-style tuning with shouty midrange and subpar technicalities." C.

Crinacle seems to rate the CCA C12 worse than the CCA C10. I don't have both sets, so can't say for sure. From reading consensus reviews/impressions in the CHIFI headfi threads, the CCA C12 seems quite hyped for technicalities in the sub $50 region?

Assuming the ZSX and C12 share parts, I would say he had troubles with how weird the treble is on the ZSX (and probably the C12 to an extent). He prefers the ZS10 Pro over the ZSX too (if I'm not mistaken). At this price point, technicalities wouldn't be that far off and tuning comes into play much more.

plus, its his list, so he's free to do what he wants with it. I just shared it due to the list reflecting most of what I also tested (especially the higher tier models).

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,478 of 3,770
The thing I like most about the C10 is its forgiving nature. I can plug it into any player with any type of music and it does a good job of making me enjoy the music, rather than think about technical qualities of the sound. For my purpose, just about the only real flaw of the C10 is it lets in too much outside noise, which makes it a poor airplane cabin IEM. IMO, it's the goldilocks of IEM; not too hot, not too cool, it's just right.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,479 of 3,770

I have the C10's and the C12's are now in Southern California as far as the tracking information goes.
So i should have them within 3-5 days and i will let you know what they sound like to me. If you care...
Maybe they will be Bleh and maybe theyll be OMG!!! BOOoooooom :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,480 of 3,770
The thing I like most about the C10 is its forgiving nature. I can plug it into any player with any type of music and it does a good job of making me enjoy the music, rather than think about technical qualities of the sound. For my purpose, just about the only real flaw of the C10 is it lets in too much outside noise, which makes it a poor airplane cabin IEM. IMO, it's the goldilocks of IEM; not too hot, not too cool, it's just right.
I always considered them kind of a Jack of all trades master of none type of IEM.
But yea. Goldilocks works too. :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,481 of 3,770
I always considered them kind of a Jack of all trades master of none type of IEM.
But yea. Goldilocks works too. :)

Yeah, for being the villain of the b&e crime, she does get mentioned more often than 3 furry victims. :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,482 of 3,770
Looking forward to your impressions. Just sold my C12s as they were too thin and edgy. Shallow soundstage and not enough bass depth for me.
Same here, c12 sounds "digital" compared to other iems like MH755 or blon bl-03, I also noticed that c12 bass was thin and lacking in presence, although it has good extension and good details in the highs

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,483 of 3,770
Same here, c12 sounds "digital" compared to other iems like MH755 or blon bl-03, I also noticed that c12 bass was thin and lacking in presence, although it has good extension and good details in the highs

That was my impression of the C12 as well. I am fearing, with all this positive talk about the C10 and @crinacle's rating of the two, that I bought the wrong one. Although Crinacle is only one person with an option, although with highly regarded opinions. I had read that the C12 was in improvement over the C10 and KZ Z10 pro. What are the differences, good or bad, between the C10 and C12?

I have not yet found the C12 to be sibilant or shouty. It has a forward, detailed treble and good fit and isolation for me, but I wonder if I would prefer the C10....

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,484 of 3,770
Just
That was my impression of the C12 as well. I am fearing, with all this positive talk about the C10 and @crinacle's rating of the two, that I bought the wrong one. Although Crinacle is only one person with an option, although with highly regarded opinions. I had read that the C12 was in improvement over the C10 and KZ Z10 pro. What are the differences, good or bad, between the C10 and C12?

I have not yet found the C12 to be sibilant or shouty. It has a forward, detailed treble and good fit and isolation for me, but I wonder if I would prefer the C10....
Just get C10, it is under $25 after all for 10 drivers in a similar to C12 shape factor. May the hype be with you :)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,485 of 3,770
I think I may go back and have another listen to the C10, it didn't do anything for me when I got and put it away in its box.
Also, wasn't helped by getting the ZS10 Pro soon afterwards. And then the C12, which I like alot.

Will stick it on the end of a balanced cable and give it another go. Also I don't think I've used them with my Fiio M11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back