CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,381 of 3,770
My new C10

Took my brand-new C10 for a little test-drive over the past couple of days.

9BBKhkD.jpg

First impressions:

• Fit is very good. I had no problem with insertion, or the default eartips. They are comfortable, and it would be easy to keep them in my ears for a long time.

• Isolation is above average for a Chi-Fi. Not quite as good as the CNT-1, but it does noticeably cancel noise. For instance, I can barely hear the mechanical keyboard I am typing on right now. Whereas, with the King Pro, I can.

• Very attractive housings. I chose the Cyan colour, and it looks exactly as advertised. The base metal also glimmers silver.

Despite the non-trivial build quality, they aren't heavy at all.

• Cable looks halfway like it is a KZ or NiceHCK upgrade cable, but it isn't. Doesn't make any weird noises, and coils around my ear perfectly.

Now that I've established that it fits well and looks good, how does it sound?

• It's pleasant enough starting out - no screeching or harshness. It's relatively relaxed-listening by KZ standards.
  • Mids are not recessed. If there's a V-shape here, it's not as pronounced as on something like the V80.
  • Vocals are surprisingly clear. I mean, they beat out my CNT-1 often, and are at least on par clarity-wise with the KZ7. This is a key feature of the C10, for me. I have a good chance of having the vocals presented up-front, in an unambigious manner.
This clarity extends to multiple vocals, and male and female vocals are presented simultaneously with ease.

Unfortunately, I find that in some songs, the vocals compete in the foreground with percussion tracks.

• It's easy to drive, and seems made for use with my iPod touch. In combination with its’ pretty decent isolation, this could make it a viable candidate for a low-cost transit IEM.

Now for the bad:

• The C10 handles small groups of instruments / vocals well, and won't miss a beat, but I find it can be a little muddy when presenting larger groups of instruments that are supposed to be part of a big soundstage. It just loses some coherence there.

A few co-existing vocals and instruments seem to be 'stealing' a good deal of the available soundstage, if that makes any sense. The soundstage isn't large.

• It might be lacking subtlety with vocals, in that other IEMs like the King Pro and KZ7 in particular present a high dynamic range and positioning of vocals, but the C10 seems simplified in its vocal positioning and range.

• Although the tuning is relatively inoffensive, it still has some of the KZ steel. I don’t enjoy isolated strings with the C10. It's a softer tuning than the KZ7, yet I find the KZ7 more compelling with certain albums. The KZ7 somehow brings out the intent of a song better for me, whether it be sad or upbeat or whatever. The C10 just feels mellower and more laid-back.

Observations

It is said that the C10 is just the KZ7's drivers retuned. If so, it has led to something noticeably different. The general observations I made here apply: the C10 is more comfortable, easier to deal with in general, less harsh, less peaky. But the KZ7 presents a more compelling sound with its harmonized bass and treble cannon, and throws the sound around in more locations. The C10 is thus kind of a 'lobotomized' KZ7, made to have a permanent smile on its face. It lacks a little flair, and especially élan.

Overall, I'd say it lacks in technicalities compared to more expensive KZ IEMs, or the similarly-priced V80. It's less harsh than perhaps any of those, and makes for easier listening. But its overall quality is 'blunted' in comparison. The fit and cheap price make it convenient and easy to pick up, as it's pretty hassle-free. Easy to recommend for a newcomer.

I found myself using it while I did chores. It doesn't get in the way or demand too much attention. It's like pleasant background music. The tuning has something of a homogenizing effect, which drops technicalities in high bit-rate music, but softens the harshness of low bit-rate tracks. Could be good as an exercise IEM, much like the ZS-10 Pro. It's actually good for chores, because it's so unobtrusive.

Sample Tracks follow (below)
It looks like you have a photo of the ZS10 Pro! Also the C10 has 2x50060 and 2x30095 BAs whereas the KZ ZS7 has 1x29869 1x31005 and 2x30095 BAs, so is different from the C10. I agree with your description of the ZS7, though!

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,382 of 3,770
It looks like you have a photo of the ZS10 Pro! Also the C10 has 2x50060 and 2x30095 BAs whereas the KZ ZS7 has 1x29869 1x31005 and 2x30095 BAs, so is different from the C10. I agree with your description of the ZS7, though!

Whoops, I took a photo at the last minute with what was lying around! My ZS-10 Pro and CCA C10 are both shades of blue. I'll go take a photo of the C10 and replace the wrong one.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,383 of 3,770

Okay, I've fixed the photo, and it's now of my C10. At least I have a photo now of my ZS-10 Pro as well, in case I decide to post impressions later.

I haven't really spent much time with my ZS-10 Pro, so haven't been able to say much. In comparison, I think the C10 is softer and not as detailed. The C10 might also be warmer, I'm not sure. The C10 feels like an 'easy listening' variant of both the KZ ZS7 and ZS-10 Pro, as it doesn't have the KZ-7s peaks or the ZS-10 Pro's detail.

Both the ZS-10 Pro and C10 could serve as exercise IEMs, and the C10 has surprisingly good isolation, so it might be at least as well-suited to transit as the ZS10P. I think the fit is slightly easier on the C10, as it just doesn't feel bulky.

I'm glad you mentioned the ZS-7, because it's the most interesting of the KZ/CCA IEMs that I have. I just don't understand why some music sounds better with the KZ7 than any of my other IEMs. Don't get me wrong, I have a number of difficulties with the KZ-7, but it's worth it. Could it be the sub-bass? The KZ7 might have better sub-bass than my other IEMs, which may be important for some bands. Or is it the combination of powerful treble and bass/sub bass? What else is out there with these qualities? Was it designed to have the qualities of the Campfire Andromeda (whose carrying case costs more than a ZS-7)?

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,384 of 3,770
I'm glad you mentioned the ZS-7, because it's the most interesting of the KZ/CCA IEMs that I have. I just don't understand why some music sounds better with the KZ7 than any of my other IEMs. Don't get me wrong, I have a number of difficulties with the KZ-7, but it's worth it. Could it be the sub-bass? The KZ7 might have better sub-bass than my other IEMs, which may be important for some bands. Or is it the combination of powerful treble and bass/sub bass?

I agree. There’s something about the ZS7 that’s alluring, and unlike most KZs. It’s remained one of my favorite KZs.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,386 of 3,770
C10 is a good smooth all rounder. Lots of people consider it boring. I understand that sentiment but it worked so well for so many genres and it was fatigue free. I used mine quite a lot, but alas was just drawn more towards others.

That's an accurate assessment, and one that is reinforced after another 4 hours of listening.

After reading Slater's comments about the ZS7 and C10, I re-evaluated the C10 in case I was going to change my mind about it.

Wrote a big long thing, but didn't want to bother posting it. Most of my thoughts remained the same, except concerning soundstage. What I just realized from reading reviews by Slater and Loomis Johnson is that the C10 doesn't have a small soundstage. It's really trying for a wider soundstage. Where it may run into problems, though, is with the instrument placement. The C10 usually has great instrument separation, but the placement or layering is an issue. The instruments feel compressed in terms of how closely they are presented to one another, which undermines CCA's attempt to give the C10 an expansive soundstage. My complaints about the stage were most likely about the instrument layering.

After comparing my unpublished non-reassessment of the C10 with Slater and Loomis Johnson, I found that I basically agree with 90% of what they say. You can rely on those reviews.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,387 of 3,770
Also, in today's reassessment, I realized:

• The C10 can be characterized as having good instrument separation, but as I just mentioned, the cloistered layering of these instruments diminishes the C10's potential. This layering issue, in addition to affecting soundstage, might be why I prefer smaller groups of instruments on the C10, rather than larger.
  • The good instrument separation has payoffs, in that drums, claps, cymbals, and other percussion, as well as solo pianos and some guitars, very often stand out like they are supposed to.
  • Despite its ability to present standout guitar riffs, cymbals and such, they don't hurt the ears. They're smoothed out.
  • The C10 also sometimes draws out harmony tracks pretty well, making them distinct but somehow smooth.
So I was a little harsh in reviewing its technicalities. If it wasn't for its layering issue, I think it's abilities would stand out more. Also, the housings are very light and fairly comfortable, and even an iPod touch gives it a lot of power, so it's very suited to mobile usage.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,388 of 3,770
Yea C10 is loud AF. It doesn't take much. Also things get a bit better with balanced output. I was only using the 16 core HCK 2.5 bal cable and I feel it expanded stage a bit. Don't know if you have tried balanced or not? I also feel like it tightened up the midbass a bit too. I loved my C10. I think I only paid like $25 for them too. A real deserved hype train as far as Im concerned.

About being to harsh in assessment of the C10. I think if you feel it, you need to say it. More information subjective or not never hurts anybody and only helps those interested in buying.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,389 of 3,770
Yeah, I only paid $20 for mine. Like the reviews say, it "shames" many IEMs being offered for a higher price.

The C10 is smooth and pleasant. Objectively speaking, it puts the mids forward compared to my V80 and even my KZ7, giving it a 'fuller' sound with a variety of music. It's a reliable and fairly straightforward perfomer. But it lacks the "artificially-juiced" or "adrenal" [Loomis Johnson] quality of its cousin the ZS7 that one reviewer described as 'glorious technicolor.'

Let's see, I wrote a TL;DR capsule of today's lengthy reassessment of the C10. Here it is:

TL;DR Capsule Review:

The C10 is "polite" "warm," sounds "voluminous" if there aren't layering issues, with respectable bass if it doesn't try to go too deep. Bass is not as controlled as CNT-1 or ZS7, and the C10 can lose detail in the lower registers. Treble is "rounded off" compared to KZ offerings like ZS-7 and maybe ZS10-Pro. Easy to drive, wear, never gets fatiguing, and isn't likely to offer harsh peaks. 'Analog' rather than 'analytic,' very clear voices, and can render percussion and guitars well.

The tragedy of the C10 is instrument separation: it can often seamlessly highlight drums, cymbals, claps, and guitars, projecting them around the stage. But throw enough noise and instruments in there, and the layering doesn't distinguish sufficiently between them. The C10's inconsistent separation gives the impression of lesser technicalities. When it does isolate instruments, they are rendered more softly than on other IEMs, so they aren't piercing. This fits into the C10's overall 'smoother' character.

It's a 'friendlier' KZ, 'sweeter' in sound, and the good fit and decent isolation make it very easy to take with you. Voices are captured so well that you'd think the IEM was designed around that purpose.

I haven't tried it with a balanced cable because I don't have quality devices with 2.5mm output. But the way things are going, I will probably get a decent DAC/AMP setup and balanced cables for my favourite IEMs.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,391 of 3,770
I'm new at this, but I'm guessing the C12 is easier to drive. The BL-03 is known for needing a more powerful source than a mobile device for getting the best out of it, amping makes it 'open up' more.

Conversely, the CCA devices are often easy to drive, and while the C12 probably requires more juice than a C10, it's probably mainly designed for mobile-device use.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,392 of 3,770
Which will be easier to drive.. Blon bl 03 or C12.
The question of "easier to drive" may need to be broken into two:
1) Can they be comfortably driven by sources with a limited power? The answer would be "yes" for both C12 and 03. 03 is less sensitive and require about 15-20% higher setting on my DAP to sound at roughly the same.
2) Do they benefit from more power? Here 03 will be benefiting from extra power more compared to C12.

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,393 of 3,770
The question of "easier to drive" may need to be broken into two:
1) Can they be comfortably driven by sources with a limited power? The answer would be "yes" for both C12 and 03. 03 is less sensitive and require about 15-20% higher setting on my DAP to sound at roughly the same.
2) Do they benefit from more power? Here 03 will be benefiting from extra power more compared to C12.
Thank you. This is really helpful.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,394 of 3,770
Okay, I've fixed the photo, and it's now of my C10. At least I have a photo now of my ZS-10 Pro as well, in case I decide to post impressions later.

I haven't really spent much time with my ZS-10 Pro, so haven't been able to say much. In comparison, I think the C10 is softer and not as detailed. The C10 might also be warmer, I'm not sure. The C10 feels like an 'easy listening' variant of both the KZ ZS7 and ZS-10 Pro, as it doesn't have the KZ-7s peaks or the ZS-10 Pro's detail.

Both the ZS-10 Pro and C10 could serve as exercise IEMs, and the C10 has surprisingly good isolation, so it might be at least as well-suited to transit as the ZS10P. I think the fit is slightly easier on the C10, as it just doesn't feel bulky.

I'm glad you mentioned the ZS-7, because it's the most interesting of the KZ/CCA IEMs that I have. I just don't understand why some music sounds better with the KZ7 than any of my other IEMs. Don't get me wrong, I have a number of difficulties with the KZ-7, but it's worth it. Could it be the sub-bass? The KZ7 might have better sub-bass than my other IEMs, which may be important for some bands. Or is it the combination of powerful treble and bass/sub bass? What else is out there with these qualities? Was it designed to have the qualities of the Campfire Andromeda (whose carrying case costs more than a ZS-7)?
Yes, the ZS7 has a certain "magic" about it which makes me want to keep listening. The same is true of the new TRN V90. They both have an addictive sub bass. The BA combination in the ZS7 really works well, the mid/high 31005 unit is the same as in the **** and shares that special quality in that frequency range.

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,395 of 3,770
Currently I am using Tin T2, looking for more bass without sacrificing on details. Is CCA C12 or BLON BL 03 a good upgrade for me, can anyone help? My playlist includes genres from Christian Pop, Rock and Jazz most of the time.
I found the CCA C12 to be a suitable upgrade to the Tin 3. I found both the T2 & T3 to be fatiguing, in stock form (no EQing or taping ports); due to their elevated frequency response in the upper range. The C12 (like the Tin series) is very good at clarity and detail; but (thankfully) they aren't troublesome, to my allergic reaction to an elevated 4k -8k range. The C12 will respond to sub bass, but I wouldn't categorize them as being anywhere close to being basshead level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back