CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 4, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #661 of 3,770
C10 has more bass and can get bloomy at times. Mids are warm, lush and smooth. Vocals both male and female are miles ahead of ZSN imo. Treble is more controlled and smooth. Stage is wider, deeper and separation is a bit better imo. ZSN strikes me as an energetic, W shape with forward upper mids and hairy treble while C10 is a smooth enjoyable U shape. Good for long time listening and all types of music.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure c10 is an improvement in many aspect. So the center depth is better (deeper) than zsn. That's all I need to know.

May 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #662 of 3,770
Thanks. I'm pretty sure c10 is an improvement in many aspect. So the center depth is better (deeper) than zsn. That's all I need to know.

Can be an improvement dependant on taste. Some find C10 too smooth and a tad boring. I don't. I think its just right in the middle in a lot of ways.

May 4, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #663 of 3,770
I have one that fell off during cleaning...
If anything, it is a bit more clear sound without it, could not feel any changes in the frequency response/balance. Definitely, no "weird peaks" without it!
I believe the purpose of this screen is largely to keep dirt and ear wax out.
Actually, it is the lightest I've seen, so it does a very good job not interfering with the sound, in my opinion/perception, while it is quite fragile mechanically.
I like the design of AS10 with this filter deeper in the nozzle much more.

Took them out and don't really notice a difference at all. Like, none. Must just be for dust more than any sort of sonic properties. Oh well. Still an area my Shockwave 3's excel at. Bass and mids are still better on the C16 but there's certain songs and type of music (especially bands like 311) that the treble really stands out on the SW3 that are too recessed on the C16 which, well, for a 4-driver setup sort of sucks lol.

May 4, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #664 of 3,770
Weirdly, I’ve come to the conclusion that the stock cable sounds the best to me for the C16. Others can make it sound more lush, but the original makes it sound tighter and more separated. I guess I just like the sound I originally heard best.
Also, sounds massive out of that Monoprice THX portable DAC/amp! No complaints, just fantastic.

May 4, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #665 of 3,770
Is there a width in mm to be considered wide?

There’s not really an international law or anything like that. But when you hold up the Starline next to a wide bore tip, it’s immediately noticeable how much larger a wide bore tip is.

However, if you hold up a Starline next to a narrow tip like the Olive or Sony Hybrid, it’s immediately noticeable how much larger the Starline is.

That’s why I call the Olives/Sony Hybrids etc narrow bore, Starlines medium bore, and Turbos/Whirlwind/Auvio/etc wide bore.

If you want, I can provide exact measurements. Just lemme know.

May 4, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #667 of 3,770
There’s not really an international law or anything like that. But when you hold up the Starline next to a wide bore tip, it’s immediately noticeable how much larger a wide bore tip is.

However, if you hold up a Starline next to a narrow tip like the Olive or Sony Hybrid, it’s immediately noticeable how much larger the Starline is.

That’s why I call the Olives/Sony Hybrids etc narrow bore, Starlines medium bore, and Turbos/Whirlwind/Auvio/etc wide bore.

If you want, I can provide exact measurements. Just lemme know.

Gotcha!

Are the star lines, being medium bore, good enough?

Also curious will you be able to see a difference on the FR charts on the same iem using different tips?

May 4, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #668 of 3,770
Gotcha!

Are the star lines, being medium bore, good enough?

Also curious will you be able to see a difference on the FR charts on the same iem using different tips?

Well, good enough is relative.

If you’re happy with the sound as it is right now, then that’s all that matters right?

May 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #669 of 3,770
What's the thing covering the nozzle? Seems to just be a filter...can I...remove it? Anyone done this?

jvzctWO.jpg

Would it perhaps give more treble if I did......

Like what would happen if I did?

yes, it will give you some spikes if you remove it

I have one that fell off during cleaning...
If anything, it is a bit more clear sound without it, could not feel any changes in the frequency response/balance. Definitely, no "weird peaks" without it!
I believe the purpose of this screen is largely to keep dirt and ear wax out.
Actually, it is the lightest I've seen, so it does a very good job not interfering with the sound, in my opinion/perception, while it is quite fragile mechanically.
I like the design of AS10 with this filter deeper in the nozzle much more.

Took them out and don't really notice a difference at all. Like, none. Must just be for dust more than any sort of sonic properties. Oh well. Still an area my Shockwave 3's excel at. Bass and mids are still better on the C16 but there's certain songs and type of music (especially bands like 311) that the treble really stands out on the SW3 that are too recessed on the C16 which, well, for a 4-driver setup sort of sucks lol.

Here’s a FR graph with the treble filters removed.

Note that my FR measurement is not calibrated, and my graphs should not be compared to anyone else’s graphs. Also, the low end in reality is nowhere near as rolled off they appear in my graphs. My setup measures about 10dB lower than reality, and it rolls off. I have not had a chance to calibrate everything the way I want yet.

The point is to just look at the treble and ignore the low end in the graphs. You can see that those little treble filters DO filter some frequencies. The area from 1.5k to 5k is different (by ~5dB in some spots).

9CBD2959-14A6-4F49-AEFC-A3ECED7E9331.png
732ACDA6-C340-4E54-A3CF-21404F848170.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #670 of 3,770
Well, good enough is relative.

If you’re happy with the sound as it is right now, then that’s all that matters right?

Does tip inner tube length affect sound/FR? I have some cheap wide bore but short/shallow inner tube tips I could try rolling

May 5, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #671 of 3,770
Anyone with the CA4 yet?

What’s your thoughts? How’s it compared to other offerings in its class?

I have the CA4 and it sounds nearly the same as my ZSN Pro with slightly less bass. It also uses the new type "C" connector.

They sound very similar in my opinion but I noticed the angle of the nozzle is different. CA4 on the left and the ZSN Pro on the right. Also the ZSN Pro includes the non "starline" medium tips as well.

IMG_20190505_114302.jpg

May 5, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #672 of 3,770
I have the CA4 and it sounds nearly the same as my ZSN Pro with slightly less bass. It also uses the new type "C" connector.

They sound very similar in my opinion but I noticed the angle of the nozzle is different. CA4 on the left and the ZSN Pro on the right. Also the ZSN Pro includes the non "starline" medium tips as well.

That's interesting. I have the CA4 and find the bass very deep and powerful. I have the ZSN Pro coming soon so can I expect 'basshead' style lower frequencies?

May 5, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #673 of 3,770
Does tip inner tube length affect sound/FR? I have some cheap wide bore but short/shallow inner tube tips I could try rolling

Yes, it most definitely affects sound.

You should tip roll. Every IEM is different and unique, and tip rolling is the best and only way to find out if a different tip sounds better or worse.

It’s also the best and only way to find out if it makes the fit and seal better or worse. Everyone’s ears are different, so a tip that fits me great may fit you terrible.

That’s why it’s something that you really have to do. It’s not hard; I just put on a set of tips and try them out for a while. If it’s worse, I remove that set from the testing group and try a different pair. But if it’s better, I set them aside in a ‘good’ pile.

Then once I go through all my tips, I go to the ‘good’ pile and start comparing them all until I find the best one. It’s like the way a sports tournament bracket works. Process of elimination.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #674 of 3,770
Yes, it most definitely affects sound.

You should tip roll. Every IEM is different and unique, and tip rolling is the best and only way to find out if a different tip sounds better or worse.

It’s also the best and only way to find out if it makes the fit and seal better or worse. Everyone’s ears are different, so a tip that fits me great may fit you terrible.

That’s why it’s something that you really have to do. It’s not hard; I just put on a set of tips and try them out for a while. If it’s worse, I remove that set from the testing group and try a different pair. But if it’s better, I set them aside in a ‘good’ pile.

Then once I go through all my tips, I go to the ‘good’ pile and start comparing them all until I find the best one. It’s like the way a sports tournament bracket works.
So that's what tip rolling actually is then? all this time I thought it was physically rolling the tips between your fingers before inserting them into your earholes... really...

May 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #675 of 3,770
So that's what tip rolling actually is then? all this time I thought it was physically rolling the tips between your fingers before inserting them into your earholes... really...

That makes sense but no, lol! It's just swapping between different tips. One listening session you use the stock tips, then you try some Spintfits, then some JVC Spiral Dots, etc. etc. until you find the tips that sound and fit best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back